Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Things not sounding too good (Read 424 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Re: Things not sounding too good
Reply #45 - 12/15/07 at 18:12:26

Pulled the head cover off today  can't see anything wrong. It sounds similar when I tap the exhaust rocker against the decompresser but thats not too scientific a test.  There was plenty of oil under the cams. I turned it over by hand a few times but can't see or hear anything catching or banging. i will get a better look tomorrow
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #46 - 12/16/07 at 04:44:14

Did you check the contact of the decompression cam and the exhaust rocker before you took it apart?

How does the cam gear look?

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #47 - 12/16/07 at 14:02:39

Well mystery is solved. The rocker arm was worn very badly and has  made some marks on the the camshaft. I will take some pictures and  post them and maybe send them to Greg if he  wants them for inclusion into next installment of the companion cd.  I think I will take the camshaft and rockers from  my spare engine and put it all back together.  I recon  it will be a Lancer camshaft in the future Also As the clutch was slipping I am looking at that too. There is some meat on the plates but I am not sure if they are good for a while or not.  
thanks for every bodies help .  I will keep you informed.
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #48 - 12/17/07 at 08:16:32

There will be a little wear on the rockers anyway, but if you get a new camshaft you'll want to buy new ones....But!  You said the valve lash clearance was okay!

If you have wear on the rockers but the clearance was good, then where did the noise come from?  After all, the majority of rocker wear is from contact with the highest lift of the cam lobe.  The valve lash clearance is measured at TDC on the low side of the cam when there is supposed to be no contact...there never is a gap on the high side because the valves are open under spring pressure...

Sorry.  I don't think that you found it, yet.  Keep looking.

IP Logged
Carl
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Larnaca, Cyprus
Reply #49 - 12/17/07 at 09:08:12

I Agree with Savage_Greg, You have not found the noise yet.
The valve gear and camshaft on my Bike were very bad, yet it had noise only on very light cruise or overrun. Power on and Power off it was quiet.
I still have the noise on light cruise/overun even after fitting new camshaft, Guides, Tensioner and Valve gear. I believe on mine the head is worn and the Camshaft is floating and rattling on light cruise/overun operation.

regards
Carl

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #50 - 12/17/07 at 09:17:22

now I am confounded.  What you say is definitely the rocker is worn concave where is hit the camshaft. and the exhaust camshaft lob seems worn on the back side after it has opened the valve.  Morw down time I suppose
Steve

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #51 - 12/17/07 at 10:53:33

Look, I know what you're saying, and I know you are really hopeful to find the problem, but I know that can't be the loud noise you heard.  If the valve clearance was good, it can't be the rocker, even if there is wear.  Below is a photo from my CD showing a wear that is similar to what you have.  I had a bad cam too, but I DIDN"T have a loud noise...

...in fact, the only reason I opened the engine up was to take photos for my CD Grin

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #52 - 12/17/07 at 11:05:53

i am stumped if that is not the noise. How do do set the gap for the decompresser. Is it just by moving the position of the arm?. I will find it in the end and of course it's all good practice (thinking positive). It must make me a better mechanic lol.
Steve

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #53 - 12/17/07 at 11:11:30

Didn't you get a copy of the CD?  There's a whole series of photographs...Besides that, you need a manual to be a better mechanic.  

Hint: You don't set the "gap".  You set the solenoid "end play".

Tongue

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #54 - 12/17/07 at 12:29:59

Yes indeed the Cd was very helpful to me on Sunday. I have the Clymers manual but not the Suzuki Service manual.

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #55 - 12/17/07 at 12:31:43

I am at work at the moment so don't have access to any documentation from here. Thats why I asked about the decompresser.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #56 - 12/17/07 at 12:39:55

SteveRocket1 wrote on 12/17/07 at 12:29:59:
Yes indeed the Cd was very helpful to me on Sunday. I have the Clymers manual but not the Suzuki Service manual.

You don't really need the SSM, but the CD shows where you measure the decompression solenoid.  Got a picture of my dirty hand with a scale Tongue

We'll just wait for you to get home then...

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #57 - 12/24/07 at 12:47:12

I have both engines dissembled and one thing I have noticed is one camshaft has RBD stamped on it and the other has RHD.  Just wondered if there is any significance in this.  Reassembly starts soon
Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:21:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Things not sounding too good

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.