Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Things not sounding too good (Read 424 times)
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Re: Things not sounding too good
Reply #15 - 12/09/07 at 15:43:16

I think it is gravely ill.  The valve clearances seemed fine and cam chain is tight .  So I have to dig into it  I have it half stripped down now. This is my   problem. I have a spare engine which I believe to run ok but the starter and its gears need looking at. Now do I try and fix the starter issue and put the other engine in or do I just transplant the jug, head and the piston from the spare to the one in the bike. Does anyone know if there is a gasket set for the transplant ?. I know first I will need to check the problem with the other engine.  I am getting withdrawal symptoms I  haven't ridden since Thursday OUCH
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 12/10/07 at 04:51:50

SteveRocket1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I think it is gravely ill.  The valve clearances seemed fine and cam chain is tight .  So I have to dig into it  I have it half stripped down now. This is my   problem. I have a spare engine which I believe to run ok but the starter and its gears need looking at. Now do I try and fix the starter issue and put the other engine in or do I just transplant the jug, head and the piston from the spare to the one in the bike. Does anyone know if there is a gasket set for the transplant ?. I know first I will need to check the problem with the other engine.  I am getting withdrawal symptoms I  haven't ridden since Thursday OUCH
Steve

Hmmm.  To either transplant an engine with unknown problems or fix the running engine with unknown problems.

That is a real tough choice to make.

Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 12/10/07 at 05:02:24

Evaluate each engine & repair the one that will fix the easiest & cheapest, using parts from each along with whatever new stuff is needed. Or, step back & throw cubic $$$ at it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #18 - 12/10/07 at 05:35:58

How torn down is the engine?   If the question is a transplant or repair, the repair will give longest return for your labor.

Was the exhaust system in good condition?  A leak at the head to pipe connnection area can sound like a valve tap.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #19 - 12/10/07 at 17:00:29

Does anyone Know what gaskets I will need to buy to change the Jug and the Piston plus the head over to the one in the bike. I am looking through the microfliches but I don't want to miss one  
thanks In advance
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 12/11/07 at 04:57:37

Does anyone Know what gaskets I will need to buy to change the Jug and the Piston plus the head over to the one in the bike. I am looking through the microfliches but I don't want to miss one  
thanks In advance
Steve

Hmmm...I just happen to know of a CD with that info on it Grin

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #21 - 12/11/07 at 09:32:40

I must be stupid ,I have your great CD at home
thanks Greg
Steve

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 12/11/07 at 09:37:04

I must be stupid ,I have your great CD at home
thanks Greg
Steve

Wasn't calling you stupid...just teasing, 'cause you aren't the first one to forget it Tongue

Head gasket, cylinder gasket, right cover gasket, oval o-ring (maybe) and RTV sealer...

But don't you need to find the noise first?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #23 - 12/11/07 at 10:08:17

Max 2nd that motion, find the source of the noise before you do lots of unnecessary work and lost 'scootin' time. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #24 - 12/11/07 at 10:30:15

Yes all true  But Its hard to find the noise when it's not running. I am not as a competent wrench as yourselves I will take off the head cover as soon as I can  I think I need to get some more tools like a micrometer to check whats worn.
I am pretty sure it's not valve clearances or cam chain so next job is get the head cover off.
How easy is it to tell if the wrist pin is too worn. Will it feel loose if I take the jug off or are very small gaps from wear able to make large noises?.
As always I apprreciate your imput and advice and loss of riding time is bad bad bad.
Steve

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 12/11/07 at 11:00:02

Yes all true  But Its hard to find the noise when it's not running. I am not as a competent wrench as yourselves I will take off the head cover as soon as I can  I think I need to get some more tools like a micrometer to check whats worn.
I am pretty sure it's not valve clearances or cam chain so next job is get the head cover off.
How easy is it to tell if the wrist pin is too worn. Will it feel loose if I take the jug off or are very small gaps from wear able to make large noises?.
As always I apprreciate your imput and advice and loss of riding time is bad bad bad.
Steve

Can't go by "feel" on the wrist pin...get the mics first.  You can get a 1-3" set at Harbor Freight for around $35.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 12/11/07 at 11:04:54

Try turning it over by hand like when finding TDC.

And should be able to notice if the wrist or con bearings are loose by turning back and forth at various points in the stroke.

luck   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #27 - 12/11/07 at 11:34:51

Did try that when I was checking the valves.  I couldn't really tell .I think when I get the lid off it I may be able to tell more. As always not enough time to get things done
Steve

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 12/11/07 at 11:39:34

Maybe your doohickey, thingamabob, or whatschamacallit is loose Roll Eyes

IP Logged