Send Topic Print
Smokes on StartUp (Read 36 times)
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Smokes on StartUp
12/05/07 at 18:27:28

Hi, my bike smokes on startup for about a min.  Is this normal?  It's new, has about 700 miles.

It only does it when the engine is cold, and stops in less than a min.  If it makes a difference, this is without being choked.

It doesn't smell like gas either, but I will check the petcock just to be sure.

Is it possible it is gas related even though the exhaust doesn't smell like gas while it is smoking?

Thanks,

Joe

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: Smokes on StartUp
Reply #1 - 12/05/07 at 18:38:46

I can't speak specifically to the savage but most engines will "smoke" at start up for a little bit.  This is usually not actually smoke but water vapor (steam) due to an exhaust system that is not fully up to temp so you see the "white" of the cloud.  it goes away as the engine and exhaust and come up to temp.  The other item that causes true smoke at start up is when a valve guide seal leaks slightly allowing a small amount of oil into the combustion chamber and then burns at start up causing a true white or blue smoke.  If a little of this real smoke happens only at start up I wouldn't be too alarmed.  If it happens all the time or consistantly on deceleration (slaming the throttle shut kind of thing) then I would watch you oil level.  Once it gets to the point you have to consistantly add oil on a regular basis you might want to look at replacing a valve seal or two.
This mode of leak was very apparent once while watching a Harley 883 road race.  They would slam the thottles shut coming into the corners and create such an intake vacuum that it would suck oil past the valve seals and smoke like crazy.  as soon as they got back on the gas and relieved the vacuum the smoking went away.

good luck

WWW   IP Logged
joeh100

.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #2 - 12/05/07 at 18:53:08

It was 60 degs.  I don't think it was water vapor, but I could be wrong.  I'm thinking a valve guide seal.

I wouldn't think so, but could valve clearance adj. affect this?

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #3 - 12/05/07 at 18:53:22

In cold temperstures, the phenomenon you described is ALMOST ALWAYS true in any engine. Look at the exhaust on a car when it has been started up in cold temperatures and you will see what looks like smoke; wait a minute and it will go away. This is perfectly normal.

EDIT: nevermind, we posted at the same time...by the way in 60 degree weather, water vapor most likely will not form...you nay have a problem...

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #4 - 12/05/07 at 23:45:08

White smoke = water vapor
Light blue smoke = oil vapor
Black smoke = overly-rich carburation

Oh yeah, I hope that you broke her in gently or you might have done some irreversible damage.  Shocked

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 12/06/07 at 05:48:12

In order to get a really good ring seat during the "break in " period you should roll on the throttle and accelerate strongly for a few seconds and then let off to cruise normally, doing this occasionally as you ride.  The higher pressures created during the harder acceleration forces the rings out against the cylinder wall and enables the rings to seat properly.  If all of the riding during the breakin period is slow and easy then the rings will not seat as well.

IP Logged
joeh100

.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #6 - 12/06/07 at 06:18:55

Well, the smoke looked white to me.  But it was 60 degs. out.  My car never smokes when it is that warm.

The bike is stored in an insulated building and even though it was 60 outside it felt cooler inside the building.  Maybe that made a difference.  

The smoke didn't really have any strong smell to it.  Also It hadn't been started for 3 days if that makes a difference.

During breakin, I took it easy for about the first 100 miles, then I lugged it to seat the rings, even uphill a few times, but I didn't let it redline or anything.

I think/hope I'm just being paranoid because it's a new bike.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #7 - 12/06/07 at 08:40:48

Like Lancer said, You got to rev it in the lower gears 1 thru 4th. For example; Accelerate brisk in 4th to 75mph than back off. Do not get too low in the RPM like below 40mph in 4th. Since you got 700 miles on it I would just ride it aggressive for a while. No need to baby it anymore. Do NOT use synthetics during this break-in period (too slick).When we brake in aircraft engines (aircooled) we run them at 75-80% powersettings at lower altitude (more HP) till the oil consumption goes down noticeable and this can take up to 25 hours. My '07 now has 4300 miles and oil consumption it negligible. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 12/06/07 at 09:06:43

Old timer taugh me this a while back.

Take a piece of glass (or a glass cup, or your eye glasses, or... , or...., or.....)  and put it in the exhaust smoke.

The three forms of smoke that SavageDude gave will all leave something on the glass.    The white will leave water condensate.  Blue will leave a flim (greasy?) and black will leave soot.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
joeh100

.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #9 - 12/06/07 at 09:37:56

I tried it again this morning.  It was prob about 45 degs.  It didn't smoke nearly as much but still a little.

I did notice some water coming out of the exhaust, so maybe that was my problem.  Maybe I need to run a dehumidifier in my building?

I will try the glass test tomorrow morning.  I think that is a great tip.

IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 12/06/07 at 11:09:02

A buy product of burning gas is water thats why on cars an trucks there is a small hole at the low point of muffler or resinator.Don't fix whats not broken.
Ride on.
Viper

IP Logged
joeh100

.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #11 - 12/07/07 at 07:24:19

My brother has an identical bike, and I got him to start his up yesterday morning.  No smoke at all.

I started mine and had smoke.  Ok, I was really worried then, but I tried the "glass tip."  It is definately water.  No oil film at all, but lots of water.

I store my bike indoors and he stores his on a carport.  Can that make the difference?

Anyway, I guess I was being paranoid, but now I am definately relieved.
Thanks for the tip T-Mack1, it worked great.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 12/07/07 at 08:38:37

Yes keeping inside and going out in the cold and back where its warmer causes condensation.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 12/07/07 at 09:30:56

joeh100 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:

Thanks for the tip T-Mack1, it worked great.

Your welcome.    8)

I know my '01 has the water vapor at 50 deg's F.  Never really thought about it other than thinking " gawd it's going to be a cold ride" when looking at it.

The bike gets stored in a insulated but unheated garage (unless you count the heat from engine blocks from a V-6 car & a L-5 pick-up).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 12/08/07 at 07:25:41

Has anyone ever noticed the water dripping from the tailpipe on a car in front of them.  Usually happens on a cold day while the exhaust is still cold.  That's condensation from the exhaust.  Once the metal parts warm up the water vapor remains gaseous all the way out of the pipe, and the dripping stops.

BTW - another way to check the exhaust content is with your nose.  Just cup your hand over the end of the pipe and sniff.  You won't smell water, but gas and oil are pretty distinct.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:25:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Smokes on StartUp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.