Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
returning order to my carb (Read 11 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
returning order to my carb
12/03/07 at 20:37:29

so in an effort to fine tune my carb, I fiddled around with the idle mix and screw last time I ran it (about a week)...and now its not starting.

Bike turns over, everything seems normal.  Gas is flowing from the petcock.  I assume the mixture is just way too out of whack.  That, or the o-ring on the idle screw came loose.

I tried turning the screw all the way in (clockwise) and then adjusted it between 1.5 and 3 turns but still no luck.  Fiddled with the idle screw, no help either.

To get myself back on the carb map, how many turns should I give each of these, and what do i do if my O-ring might be loose?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: returning order to my carb
Reply #1 - 12/03/07 at 21:04:33

Always start from all the way in.  Gently turn it in till it stops.  2 to 2 1/2 out is about right.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 12/03/07 at 23:26:08

thats about where I am

if I flooded the engine, how long would it take to clear back out?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 12/04/07 at 03:02:16

Unless you've done something to hop-up your ride, like add a "pumper" carb, I don't think you CAN "flood" the engine.

I had a problem a while back starting my bike after 2 weeks of inactivity, turned out to be a weak battery...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #4 - 12/04/07 at 08:29:07

Will it start with the choke in or out?  Make sure you tune with a warm engine.

I fiddled with my carb, got it running and then the next time it had a hard time starting...cranked but no go-go juice.  Pulled the choke and had to give it some throttle before it started (never needed to use choke before).  I warmed it up (3+ mins running), pushed the choke back in, and tried the adjusting the idle mixture again.  Now it's starting again with no choke.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 12/04/07 at 10:59:55

A thought I always used during all my years a technician doing troubleshooting, "What changed?"

Your bike was running a week or so ago, so why start turning the mixture screw?  Once you started doing that, you complicated the original problem.

As Barry said, you're not likely to flood with that carb.  Check the battery charge.

A general setting for mixture screws (the one I use during a rebuild) is 1 1/2 turns out.  Start there.  The bike will start when you find out what the real problem is.  Then as Gary said, fine adjust the screw when the engine is hot.

Also turn the idle screw all the way back out to where the cable is almost slack.  Then turn it in as needed for a smooth idle.  The throttle plate (butterfly) needs to be closed to create proper vacuum in the idle circuit, too.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 12/04/07 at 12:03:30

Im going to try it one more time with the idle screw nearly out as you suggested then Ill go get a voltimeter.

The second to last time I ran it, it would stall when it got put in gear, moved, and the clutch pulled in.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 12/05/07 at 05:05:10

Bobbert wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Im going to try it one more time with the idle screw nearly out as you suggested then Ill go get a voltimeter.

The second to last time I ran it, it would stall when it got put in gear, moved, and the clutch pulled in.  

Just remember, "what changed?"  As in What CAN change.  Screws can't.  A battery can.

A voltmeter is a good thing to have, but not always a good indicator of a low battery.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 13:21:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › returning order to my carb

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.