Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
MPG - is this good?
12/03/07 at 09:15:22

OK.  Just want to check with you guys and see if the MPG I'm getting sounds good to you.  My setup is

1) Chain conversion 17/43
2) HD Screaming Eagle turnout exhaust
3) Emco Cone Filter
4) 155 Pilot
5) 50 Main

I rode a full tank all the way to reserve this weekend and got 105 before reserve hit (I'm using a bike speedo that is about as accurate as I can get).  The route was half flat and half hilly.  Hilly was run mostly in 2nd and 3rd.  Took it very easy on the throttle.  No stop and go riding on this route.

I calculated the MPG at 48.  Does that sound about right?  

Spark plug looked good, not showing too rich.  But I'm wondering if I shouldn't get a little more MPG.  Next chance I get I'm running a tank on freeway only.  I just got my bike speedo working again after having to take it off for work/repairs.  Last freeway route was without it and I guestimated mpg around 50.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: MPG - is this good?
Reply #1 - 12/03/07 at 10:36:46

Gary, to take advantage of the better gearing and get better mpg, you'll need to be running in 4th and 5th gear most, if not all the time.  If you're spending most of your riding time in 2nd and 3rd, you're not getting any benefit from the taller gears.

But for most of your time in 2nd and 3rd, I'd say anything over 40mpg is pretty good.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 12/03/07 at 11:06:21

Just remember that autos are usually rated for city and highway driving...and of course they are different because of the engine RPMs involved.  Yours will be too.

Personally, I think that your main jet is a little large for your setup, but overall, you get mileage about like mine.  No sense worrying about it.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #3 - 12/03/07 at 12:55:56

I have the same ratio as you but only a 152.5 main jet, freeflow exhaust, K&N filter, Jardine pipe but it is pretty flat here and don't run in town much, mostly 5th gear and get 60mpg average at 60mph. Oh, I weigh 150lbs.  Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #4 - 12/03/07 at 17:24:15

I did a freeway run at lunch and after work.  Kept it at 65 in 5th most of the way.  75 miles and 1.29 gallons = 58mpg.   I like that much better than 48.  But, I'm going to go down on my jets 1 size and see what happens.  Maybe I can get 60+ out of it.

With the 17/43 chain, I can lope along at 65 (low revs) and get almost 60mpg.  I like that!  I've got floorboards coming and I've reworked the padding on my harley sportster seat so it's starting to become a very comfortable travel bike.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 12/03/07 at 21:29:48

I average about 60mpg.  Should not be unreasonable to expect if you ride sane.  Insane,...could drop that to 45mpg or so.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 12/03/07 at 21:52:35

see   savage savage     thread

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #7 - 12/07/07 at 21:31:49

I get only about 42mpg with the mods below. I travel to work only, a short distance, and don't get up to 4th gear very often and never into 5th.
I suspect the milage would be much better if I got up to highway speed of 65mph for a 10 mile distance each direction to/from work in the top gears.
Also, I suspect I loose some fuel due to evaporation when the bike is in the sun while I'm at work. I can smell fuel once in a while.

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 12/29/07 at 12:35:24

I have a stock '98, and I get about 51mpg with the windscreen on, and 62mpg with the windscreen off.  The windscreen is the standard Suzuki issue for my '98.  

I was suprised by this, as I thought the windscreen would improve MPG.

Note about highway/city: I did a few test, and could not measure a significant increase in MPG on the hwy. (+1-3 mpg) .

All of my test were to see how high I could get he MPG - so these were not normal riding conditions Smiley

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 12/30/07 at 13:17:47

1st2know wrote on 12/29/07 at 12:35:24:
I have a stock '98, and I get about 51mpg with the windscreen on, and 62mpg with the windscreen off.  The windscreen is the standard Suzuki issue for my '98.  

I was suprised by this, as I thought the windscreen would improve MPG.

Note about highway/city: I did a few test, and could not measure a significant increase in MPG on the hwy. (+1-3 mpg) .

All of my test were to see how high I could get he MPG - so these were not normal riding conditions Smiley

I would think the windscreen would drop your mpg by the simple fact that it provides a wide surface for the air to hit. (not fully awake yet so bear with me on my choice of words to explain)

Without the windscreen the air can flow more smoothly around the bike allowing the bike to cut through the air easier with less effort, but a windscreen creates an airblock causing the air to hit a semi flat surface causing the bike to need more power to get to the same speed, which in turn uses more fuel.

Now I am not saying anything against a windscreen, I have one and am actually thinking of getting a bigger one when money allows.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 12/30/07 at 13:36:14

I would rule out a windscreen from increasing mpg, cause unless you're a tiny guy your body doing the same thing a windscreen does.  Block the wind.  A flyscreen may be what you want as it's enough to keep the wind off your chest, yet it's pretty small.

WWW   IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #11 - 12/31/07 at 15:52:23

My bone-stock 2006 S40 with 1500 miles averages 57 mpg.  My commute is about 75% city streets and 25% interstate.  My best mileage has been 63.4 and my worst 48.  The 48 mpg was a tank where the bike sat because of the cold and I needed the choke on 1 indent when I was riding it.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:28:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MPG - is this good?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.