Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
over revving? (Read 97 times)
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
over revving?
12/02/07 at 16:33:31

So, granted, I do ride her kinda hard.  Until last week, when I'd roll off, or especially, slam the throttle shut, the rpms would die accordingly.   Now when I pull in the clutch and decelerate, it sounds like the engine is still revving (the rev's don't drop nearly as quickly.  takes almost 2 seconds to rev down to rolling idle with clutch all the way in)   A lot like the time I rode to the store with the choke out.  Almost sounds like the engine is getting extra gas?  Is the throttle sticking?  It happens at all speeds, anywhere from lugging the engine to winding her up.  It's not even with the deceleration of the bike, like riding the gears to slow down.  So I don't think it's the clutch.  Any ideas?

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: over revving?
Reply #1 - 12/02/07 at 16:43:45

Has anything changed since it was running ok?Maybe pinched cable,did it get real cold out?I had a problem with mine,I greased under the throttle(between handlebar and throttle tube when it got cold out it would do that.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
newrider55
YaBB Newbies

New rider and loving
it.

Climax, MI
Reply #2 - 12/02/07 at 17:06:51

Check you vaucum line..If you have fuel in it then you are getting leak from fuel valve.

'97 Black LS650
Supertrapp, Mod Carb
'02 Silver LS650 Stock
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 12/03/07 at 21:33:17

Slide might be sticking

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 12/03/07 at 21:50:57

age of bike/cables/lubed?
"stickey wickett"

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 12/04/07 at 03:42:25

If it's doing it at all speeds, then I am sure it does it when stopped and in neutral.
So.. just get off the bike and eyeball the throttle arm on the carb when you tweak the throttle at the grip.
If the arm drops slowly, probably the cable sticking (as mentioned above).
If the arm drops quickly, and it's still revving, probably the slider (as mentioned above).

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #6 - 12/04/07 at 12:34:05

muchas gracias!  The bike is a '97, with original cables, and I haven't lubed them, which means they probably haven't been lubed since om did it (doh!).I will check out the above mentioned and hope for the best!  I'll let you know what I find...

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
geo

I'm a Savage

Orlando
Reply #7 - 12/07/07 at 21:15:40

Last year I had a problem with the carb piston sticking, and my problem was lack of midrange torque and acceleration. I pulled the carb and cleaned the piston and bore and that solved the problem. The theory then was I let the bike down to the horizontal, and oil went through the vent hose into the airbox, and then got into the carb.
I have since pluged the vent hose entry into the airbox and put a filter on the vent hose and routed the hose outside.
I've had no problem since. It has booming acceleration again. Grin

Black 2002 Savage with SuperTrapp 13 discs, Dynajet Kit-DJ144, K&N drop-in, NGK-Iridium, Windscreen, Amsoil 10w-40, Metzeler ME880's
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #8 - 12/13/07 at 14:43:43

well, it's not the cable because the throttle arm on the carb 'cause it drops as soon as I let off the throttle.  so.....  I truly am a newbie, not just to bikes but to wrenching as well.  How difficult is it to pull and clean the carb?  I'm thinking about taking to a licensed mechanic and having him/her check it out, as well as my cam chain and tensioner.  Any of you gods/serious thumpers live here in austin texas?  I would prefer to do the fix myself, or at least "assist" (i can bring the beer!) someone so I could do it next time.  Any takers?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 12/13/07 at 15:29:17

I'm too far to take you up on that, but cleaning the carb is pretty easy.

Check the tech sect, I think IslandWahine did a write up that was pretty good.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 12/13/07 at 18:56:23

Run some SeaForm  in it first you don't have to take it apart to clean it. Smiley

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 12/14/07 at 03:53:22

eanon wrote on 12/13/07 at 14:43:43:
 Any of you gods/serious thumpers live here in austin texas?  I would prefer to do the fix myself, or at least "assist" (i can bring the beer!) someone so I could do it next time.  Any takers?

I live in San Antonio, but never have had my carb apart, or even off the bike.  I have done the clutch cover to check the tensioner and put in the famous VerSlavy model.
For the carb cleanup, good suggestions already.  Here is the link to IW's Carburetor cleanup
Lots of pictures, so be patient.  Also, the new forum has kinda made it hard to read.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #12 - 12/14/07 at 15:13:01

Thanks for the tip on the sea foam.  I think I will try it as all the info I can find on it seems to be good.  If that doesn't work, then I guess it's time to brave the carb.  I copied, pasted and downloaded the entire post by IW, including pics.  Really good stuff.  Now I have step by step instructions, pics included.  Doesn't look to scary, I must admit, but I still think I'll try the sea foam first. Can't hurt, right?   Huh

-  I love this forum! Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:29:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › over revving?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.