Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork Oil Grade? (Read 115 times)
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Fork Oil Grade?
12/02/07 at 01:14:46

With apologies if better search techniques would have negated this question, but what factors should be considered in choosing fork oil "weight"?
All I've found is a reference to "30 weight type F".
Does MY weight come into the calculation?
Just that I'm hoping to have seals replaced this week.
Thanks.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Fork Oil Grade?
Reply #1 - 12/02/07 at 04:09:08

Dave, your weight and riding style can affect the decision.  Heavier oils will provide a stiffer suspension.  The two most common oils folks use around here are 15W fork oil and Dextron III compatible ATF.  I used Amsoil full synthetic ATF and experienced a stiffer more responsive feel from stock, which is what I was after.  I've even used 15W40 diesel oil (front fork) in a dirt bike with decent results...

BTW, I ride with about 250lbs including me and all my gear, and occasionally take a small passenger (kids).

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Reply #2 - 12/02/07 at 04:25:53

Thanks for that.
At c. 130 lbs, no luggage/pillions, doubt I need anything "heavy"!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 12/02/07 at 07:00:32

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Dave, your weight and riding style can affect the decision.  Heavier oils will provide a stiffer suspension.  The two most common oils folks use around here are 15W fork oil and Dextron III compatible ATF.  I used Amsoil full synthetic ATF and experienced a stiffer more responsive feel from stock, which is what I was after.  I've even used 15W40 diesel oil (front fork) in a dirt bike with decent results...

BTW, I ride with about 250lbs including me and all my gear, and occasionally take a small passenger (kids).

Don't you think that recommending the suggested Suzuki Fork Oil would be the best thing to do?  Especially considering the other topic you started? Tongue

I believe that if we respond to a technical inquiry, that we have a responsibility to suggest only factory recommendations.  Just because we CAN do something doesn't mean that it is the best thing to do.  After all, Suzuki does have the background and research behind their motorcycles, and we don't.  Are we gonna start offering a warranty too?

Suzuki recommends 441 ml of 15W Fork Oil in each fork.

It is more expensive than ATF but you don't have to change it very often.  This is the synthetic oil that I used recently.

Now, if someone wants to use bearing grease or even mud that is their decision Tongue

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 12/02/07 at 15:08:24

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Don't you think that recommending the suggested Suzuki Fork Oil would be the best thing to do?  Especially considering the other topic you started? Tongue

I believe that if we respond to a technical inquiry, that we have a responsibility to suggest only factory recommendations.  Just because we CAN do something doesn't mean that it is the best thing to do.  After all, Suzuki does have the background and research behind their motorcycles, and we don't.  Are we gonna start offering a warranty too? [color=Red][/color]

Suzuki recommends 441 ml of 15W Fork Oil in each fork.

It is more expensive than ATF but you don't have to change it very often.  This is the synthetic oil that I used recently.

Now, if someone wants to use bearing grease or even mud that is their decision Tongue

Tongue  Info straight from the Clymers Suzuki Savage manual.  But with that logic, how can you even recommend a jet change or idle screw adjustment?  And I suppose you use factory Suzuki oil, brake pads, stock tires, and drive chain?   Roll Eyes

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 12/02/07 at 17:01:43

Tomorrow i'am getting my automatic transmission oil changed in my car.I think i will have them put in fork oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 12/03/07 at 08:01:19

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Tongue  Info straight from the Clymers Suzuki Savage manual.  But with that logic, how can you even recommend a jet change or idle screw adjustment?  And I suppose you use factory Suzuki oil, brake pads, stock tires, and drive chain?   Roll Eyes

Remember this...I recommend options that are intended to correct something.  

As an example, I recommend a jetting change when there has been a muffler change.  The purpose being to restore the original air/fuel ratio.  If someone wants to get rid of backfires, I'll suggest jetting changes, but if they like backfires, well...

The same goes for EBC pads vs. OEM Suzuki (though I think they are just fine)...EBC manufactures the pads to Suzuki specs or better.  You will find photos of both on the CD.  I wouldn't recommend modifying the pads or using ones from a different bike...Tongue

Suzuki oil?  I have used it and see nothing wrong with it.  Check out my "Oil Change Time" topic in the Tech Section.  Suzuki oil and filter is shown there.

Stock tires?  Get serious.  However I do recommend using Suzuki's suggested air pressure.  Check the CD.  There's a photo of the steering head label in there too.

I also, don't "recommend" the chain conversion.  That is a personal choice, and when someone makes that choice...it is called a "mod".  My spouse has a stock belt on her bike because that's what she wants Smiley

If someone asks what kind of "Fork Oil" to use, I don't recommend "Automatic Transmission Fluid"...that is your choice!

Sorry, I do think I'm fairly logical Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 12/03/07 at 08:04:18

bill67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
   Tomorrow i'am getting my automatic transmission oil changed in my car.I think i will have them put in fork oil.

And that's exactly why no one ever asks your opinion Grin

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 12/22/07 at 16:50:32

Sorry greg that statement went over your head.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 12/22/07 at 20:28:58

Agree with Greg.  Use the recommended weight  "Fork oil".  Fork oil is for forks,  Tranny oil is fro tranny's.  They are way different enviroments and the oils have different additives for that enviroment.  

After replaceing the seals and cleaning the mechanicals, you should have a different ride, so you can't go by what it has been doing.

By changing the oil weight you not only change ride, but in painc situations the bike may do unexpected things .  And... a heavier weight will also put more road vibrations into the bike.....things might start to loosen up.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 12/22/07 at 20:31:39

Sorry t-mack that went over your head too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 12/22/07 at 20:36:42

Bill ....it didn't   Grin

There are a bunch of people here recommending using tranny oil cause they can get it cheaper.......just wanted to make sure Dave understood.......

Thread is in the "Rubber Side Down" section (a.k.a. help me please)  I might have posted something different if it was in the Cafe..... Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Reply #12 - 12/23/07 at 00:45:56

For completeness, "my" mechanic went strictly by the 441ml of 15W fork oil info with which I provided him! Together with new seals, new pads, a braided brake hose and new tyre (even if only a CS) the front end seems/feels a lot more secure.

Mind you, I still don't think that the braking is particularly good for such a light bike. Admittedly purely impressionistic and subjective, but IMO not up to my baby Virago.

Thanks all - and sorry if I lit a small controversy!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 12/23/07 at 06:56:00

bill67 wrote on 12/22/07 at 16:50:32:
  Sorry greg that statement went over your head.

Sorry Bill, in a discussion that is technical and serious, a stupid statement doesn't deserve to be justified.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 12/23/07 at 07:29:28

Ok greg tell me what i was saying

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:28:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Oil Grade?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.