Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork oil change, revisited (Read 13 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Fork oil change, revisited
11/30/07 at 17:15:55

Today on my way to work, I took the same left hand sweeper I take every day.  But today, the front end seemed to have a mind of its own!  In a deep 70 mph sweeper, the front tire started swaying back and forth.  When I stopped at the next light, I applied the front brake and pushed forward against the forks and noticed very little dampening compared to the day before.

I assume there's something amiss in the fork(s), (blown seal) but in the past this was accompanied by leaking and other external indications.  Could something inside the fork just have "come loose" or should I assume damaged parts?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Fork oil change, revisited
Reply #1 - 11/30/07 at 21:47:13

Did you check the springs the last time you changed the oil in the forks? You did remember to put the washers back on top of the springs?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 12/01/07 at 03:41:23

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Did you check the springs the last time you changed the oil in the forks? You did remember to put the washers back on top of the springs?

Yep, checked springs and installed correctly with washers.  My problem isn't a "spring problem" it seems to be a dampening problem.  The bike sags the same amount as it always did when I sit on it (a function of the spring), but gives much less resistance when I quickly compress/uncompress the forks.  It almost seems like there are no dampening valves in there, or like the internal seal got pushed out, but I know that stuff was put back when I reassembled them, and I'm pretty sure the springs themselves hold those parts in place.  Undecided

Thanks for the reply IW.  Any other thoughts out there?

I'd like to know what parts to buy before I pull everything apart so it doesn't sit on the bench disassembled for a long period of time.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 12/01/07 at 05:03:45

If the bike isn't safe to ride, it won't matter too much if you disassemble it first, and let it sit.  At least you won't buy parts that you don't need.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 12/01/07 at 05:29:33

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
If the bike isn't safe to ride, it won't matter too much if you disassemble it first, and let it sit.  At least you won't buy parts that you don't need.

True statement, but I have little kids at the house that may be overcome with "curiosity"  Grin

I'd like to avoid asking questions like, "have you seen daddy's fork tube?"   Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 12/01/07 at 05:42:05

Oooohh! Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 12/01/07 at 06:57:22

maybe you put something in upside down?

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 12/01/07 at 11:05:53

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
maybe you put something in upside down?

I really wish that were the case.  Unfortunately, I was very meticulous with reassembly and it worked "flawlessly" for about 1000 miles.

I really think the dealer assembled the stupid thing incorrectly in 1998 and wasn't caught/corrected until I fixed it just recently.  The "stressed" nature with which it was assembled probably wore parts unevenly.  I just hope I don't end up having to replace the tubes and dampener as well... :'(

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 12/01/07 at 11:07:45

I probably should have followed the manual and inspected parts when I had it disassembled the first time, but I figured "there couldn't possibly be a problem, the bike only has 4200 miles on it."   Embarrassed

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 12/02/07 at 06:33:56

I thought that you just turned the bike upside down to drain the oil Tongue

You think the lower seal or bushing is damaged?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 12/02/07 at 15:11:40

I guess I'll find out more when I tear into it tomorrow.  I'll post the results then...even if the ATF is to blame.   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 12/03/07 at 07:40:27

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I guess I'll find out more when I tear into it tomorrow.  I'll post the results then...even if the ATF is to blame.   Grin

Go forth and conquer!

...stated as I go out to the garage to work on my own issues Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:50:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork oil change, revisited

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.