Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Howto build 5 gear in '86 Savage engine (Read 37 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Howto build 5 gear in '86 Savage engine
Reply #15 - 11/30/07 at 06:33:48

skoeter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
We can not escape from english.... Movie, TV, Radio... where ever one goes english is around....  Should frequently dig in microfishes for the technical side... and now you know Alternator is Dynamo in dutch. and Primary is primair Handy to know, even when you visit Belgium Grin

I will............ guess I gotta hit Santa now

I was just looking at the Suzuki Holland link in your signature line.  Interesting.  2 things are different.  All of the Boulevard are still named Intruder, and I do not see the Savage or S40.  Hmmm...

Suzuki Motoren

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #16 - 11/30/07 at 06:50:30

Skoeter, unless the 4-speed is trashed, I don't see that you really gain much of anything going to a 5-speed.  If you're looking for better "highway" ratios, I'd suggest a chain conversion.  I'm of the opinion that the 4-speed is the more durable design...

Also, I wonder what the weight difference is between the two?   Undecided

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
skoeter
YaBB Newbies

'62 Born on '86
Savage

Netherlands Schiedam
Reply #17 - 11/30/07 at 07:54:21

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I was just looking at the Suzuki Holland link in your signature line.  Interesting.  2 things are different.  All of the Boulevard are still named Intruder, and I do not see the Savage or S40.  Hmmm...
Suzuki Motoren

Thanx for mentioning Greg, the link is adjusted now.... did not mean to link to suzuki holland but to a dutch Savage site I recerntly set up.....

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Skoeter, unless the 4-speed is trashed, I don't see that you really gain much of anything going to a 5-speed.  If you're looking for better "highway" ratios, I'd suggest a chain conversion.  I'm of the opinion that the 4-speed is the more durable design...

Also, I wonder what the weight difference is between the two?   Undecided

The goal is not to improved/gain, the challenge is to make it work...  8)

Perhaps I misunderstood someone who was selling his '86 Savage. He said it was 5 gear and maybe he just replaced the complete engine and CDI... I never asked but definately want to find out if it can be done  Wink

This is how I picked up the idea:

I saw a 5 gear '87 Savage on a dutch auction site, later I saw a complete 5 gear sys (axes forks etc) on Ebay germany....  I asked a friend if he could confirm if it was a 5 gear set and he explaine the 1 axe&2 forks and 2 axes&3 forks matter so I understood I needed the crankcase of the bike I have ordered the gear set from 2.... I was lucky and it's coming my way.
Here come the headache part.... I phoned that guy who is selling his '87 5 gear and it turns out he simply bought the CDI and complete 'under engine' (all that's under the cylinder....)

So it's to me to find out if I can make it all work with a little help....

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 11/30/07 at 08:50:45

Thanx for mentioning Greg, the link is adjusted now.... did not mean to link to suzuki holland but to a dutch Savage site I recerntly set up.....

Ah, now I see your site.  I may not speak Dutch, but I certainly can "read" photos.  The left side of your page is really nice Grin

I also notice some really ugly looking headcover sealer and a familiar looking bolt pattern on a box (in English) Tongue

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #19 - 11/30/07 at 10:17:56

The goal is not to improved/gain, the challenge is to make it work...  8)

So,  if you have a running bike,  there is a question that has to be asked.  

Is it better to spend your time & money (gelder/euro's??) doing this or would it be better spending your time riding and spend your money on Bier???

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
skoeter
YaBB Newbies

'62 Born on '86
Savage

Netherlands Schiedam
Reply #20 - 11/30/07 at 10:29:55

The ugly headcover is shot in the condition the bike was bought, there was even 4 liters!! oil in the engine, no wonder it was leaking..... it got pushed through the gaskets under pressure LOL
The owner now is trying to make a good Savage out of it again.
There's an owners club here but it's close to death and so I started that site. Many left the club forum already because they where licensed to ride more horse powers or simply find more answers to their questions here or on the german site. But plenty of dutch who have a language prob on the technical side so I try to give the Savage a new dutch internet life.
Also I think the Savage club is too much for owners and not enough for people with projects and who do own maintainance (most of them are here and the german site)... so trying to fill a gab
Since I have my Savage for half a year now and only had small issues like other steering stem, thing that cover the rear brake drum (it simply broke in 2 part using the brake and made quite a mess!!), Laser exhaust new brake fluid I think it's about time to get to know the lady and see what I can do to her heart.....
If it will turn out replacing about everything beyond the cylinder I will look for a 5 gear engine in time but if I get it to work....... Grin
Meanwhile... this winter I will be taught lot's I need to know about the engine and more!!
Noticed on your site you used to have a Yamaha XS750 3 cylinder... used to have one too Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
skoeter
YaBB Newbies

'62 Born on '86
Savage

Netherlands Schiedam
Reply #21 - 11/30/07 at 10:34:59

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Is it better to spend your time & money (gelder/euro's??) doing this or would it be better spending your time riding and spend your money on Bier???

Good question!! The book knows all and I know nothing..... Sounds the same as spending my money on beer, not remember yesterday and just wonder why I feel misserable and can't concentrate riding Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 11/30/07 at 12:11:28

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
So,  if you have a running bike,  there is a question that has to be asked.  

Yeah, but if you check his site...it's pretty obvious that the bike isn't running.  This is drinkin' and thinkin' time Grin

IP Logged
skoeter
YaBB Newbies

'62 Born on '86
Savage

Netherlands Schiedam
Reply #23 - 11/30/07 at 12:19:35

guess it gets pretty close to don't drink while riding and don't spend all on drinkking when you got to get the bike riding BUT have a drink while imagining what you want to be riding Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #24 - 11/30/07 at 12:22:19

guess it gets pretty close to don't drink while riding and don't spend all on drinkking when you got to get the bike riding BUT have a drink while imagining what you want to be riding Cheesy

???  I think I need a drink  Tongue

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 12/01/07 at 05:21:13

I'll drink to that Grin

IP Logged