Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lifted Savage?!? (Read 35 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Lifted Savage?!?
11/25/07 at 11:22:03

After much deliberation, I've decided to get a set of 13" shocks from JCWhitney to see how the Savage handles/feels in a "lifted" state.  I've grown tired of the shear Spartan nature of the rear suspension and am looking for more of a "comfy" ride.......on a budget.  The shocks are 89.99 w/ free shipping so I figure even if I don't like it, I haven't broke the bank in the process.

I'm not sure how much more suspension travel I can expect but I'll let you all know when they come.

Any thoughts or flames?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Re: Lifted Savage?!?
Reply #1 - 11/25/07 at 11:30:02

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 09:29:55 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 11/25/07 at 11:35:40

Hmmm.  Great info Jim!  That does throw a damper into my plans (pun intended.)  I never checked it, but I'm surprized the swing arm doesn't drop any lower...

I may have to rethinks me plan, maybe plan B... Undecided

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 11/25/07 at 11:38:17

Jim, on the left side I don't see anything to obstruct the swing arm, but on the right side I notice the muffler shield might limit swingarm travel.  Did the swingarm bind against the muffler shield, or was it the mechanical limits of the swingarm assembly?

IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/25/07 at 13:14:27

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 09:28:22 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 11/25/07 at 13:57:07

The belt guard starts rubbing with a 12" shock length, and maybe even sooner.  I have 12.5 " and it requires either removing the guard or grinding the front end to allow the belt space.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 11/25/07 at 14:08:36

AHA!  No belt and no belt guard either!  Maybe I'd be ok with 13", no?  If the muffler bracket is the only thing limiting me, maybe that can be relocated or "reshaped" with a sledgehammer  Grin

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 11/25/07 at 14:09:51

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
The belt guard starts rubbing with a 12" shock length, and maybe even sooner.  I have 12.5 " and it requires either removing the guard or grinding the front end to allow the belt space.

I assume you're refering to the BOTTOM belt guard?

IP Logged
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reply #8 - 11/25/07 at 22:43:29

Howdy Barry and All:

As I've just recently been down this road on my '95 LS I thought I'd share my findings.  The stock shocks eye to eye measure 10.5 inches.  I'd been shopping the ebay for a set of progressive shocks in the 11' or 11.5" range.  Each half inch length increase increase the travel of the shocks by that much also.  I found what I thought would be the perfect pair of 11.5" in metric size grommets.  All was rosy.  they arrived in a Progressive Suspension box marked 11.5".  When I measured they were 13".  What the heck, I thought.  It's worth a try.
With the originals off an jacking up on the chassis and prying down on the wheel, we were able to get to about 12.5"- still of half inch short of bolting them on.  And yes, there was belt interference and probably other limiting factors.  

Bottom line I returned the mismatched/misrepresented shocks for a refund.  I'm still shopping for better rear shocks, preferably Progressive Syspension, but you reminded me of that shock from J.C. Whitney.  The price is right, but do you know who makes them?  Any info on the quality?  Do they match springs to specific bike and applications?  Maybe I'll give them a call.

Hope that helps you on your quest for a more comfortable ride.

Adios, David

'95, Jardine, 880s, 55 pilot, 150 main, Iridum.
  IP Logged
Hardly
YaBB Newbies

Idaho Falls, Id.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reply #9 - 11/26/07 at 09:32:17

Howdy back:

FYI- I just got off the phone with JCW.  Their shocks are made for them by Emco.  The shortest model they have is a 325mm, aka 13".  That's too long for me.

I'm back to shopping ebay.

Adios, David

'95, Jardine, 880s, 55 pilot, 150 main, Iridum.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 11/26/07 at 19:52:43

I found some shocks on ebay from a honda shadow I think will fit.  They are 11.5" and a great deal!  Here's the link:  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Shadow-Aero-VT-750-VT750-rear-shocks-0-m...

Sorry it's long, just copy/paste into your browser...add says they have 50 sets  Shocked

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #11 - 11/26/07 at 19:53:49

Oh, I guess they only have 20 sets...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:26:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lifted Savage?!?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.