Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Squeel, screetch, chirp (Read 27 times)
Taz

Bikes and boats,
Yeah!

Squeel, screetch, chirp
11/23/07 at 18:35:57

I'm hearing what I believe to be the belt squeeling. It's something that just started. I've got about 7,000 miles on the S40. What's the possible reason for this new noise and the fix?
Thanks,
Taz

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Squeel, screetch, chirp
Reply #1 - 11/23/07 at 18:59:55

They'll certainly do it if out of alignment or too tight - the little plunger tool seems to cause that. Might want to check the tension - should be able to twist the bottom about 90 deg - and adjust the belt where it generally stays in the center of pulley - the pulley floats some so it can't stay perfect centered - and will likely chirp a little when it gets wet. So folks put various dressing on the belts to quiten them down - like wax or powder - need to be really careful about that however or the stuff you put on it will pickup grit and cause wear to the aluminum rear pulley and the belt it self.

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #2 - 11/23/07 at 19:13:25

Life is too short to avoid the inevitable application of WD40. You didn`t hear it from me.

B

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/23/07 at 20:50:23

temp just drop in your area??i use hd belt dressing on mine..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 11/24/07 at 05:53:17

Just loosen the belt up a bit and use the "90 Twist Method" to set the belt tension (toss the OEM tensioner if you have it).

That's all you gotta do.  Good luck.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 11/24/07 at 07:17:51

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Just loosen the belt up a bit and use the "90 Twist Method" to set the belt tension (toss the OEM tensioner if you have it).

That's all you gotta do.  Good luck.
ive tried that many times spec this time of year cold mornings shell squeel couple miles quiet w/belt adjusted dressin is the fix for me..

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 11/24/07 at 07:53:18

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
ive tried that many times spec this time of year cold mornings shell squeel couple miles quiet w/belt adjusted dressin is the fix for me..

If it works, it works.  Still gotta keep the belt clean like Reelthing said.

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #7 - 11/25/07 at 06:55:39

I have just turned 8000 on my 06, and last week coming home from a 350 mile trip, it started the chirp and sqeal when going through the gears at low to mid RPMs.  I rubbed a little candle wax on the outside of the belt, but haven't had a chance to test it yet.  The belt was rubbing because I could see the "dust on the inside of the forward cover, and I could see signs of it rubbing on the side of the belt (could begin to see signs of the fabric inside the belt).  It didn't appear to be resting on the "sprockets" though.  The belt also seamed to be even all around the "sprocket".  I tested it with the 90 degree test and it may be a little tight.  I could twist it, but I think it took a little more effort than it should have.  I am going to loosen it a bit when I get the chance and see what happens.

Why would it chirp and squeal in cooler, damp weather? The ride I was on was in fog for the first 170 something miles and only in the 50's.  ???

Is that belt lube from the HD dealers any good?  ???

Ride Safe

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 11/25/07 at 08:09:57

firsts40 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:

Is that belt lube from the HD dealers any good?  ???

Ride Safe

starting my second winter with that product,it dries non stickey and seems to last about a year per application..
i jack up the bike so the rear wheel will spin and douse the belt from left and right sides  lil tube that comes with can helps,angle away from tire tread while spraying after belt is tighted and aligned properly

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 11/25/07 at 08:24:20

We all tend to get stuck on the first thing that we try that works.  Right?

What IF you didn't have to jack up the bike, buy any belt dressing, and all that you had to do was to loosen the belt to a 90 degree twist?

Chances are that it will still squeak in the rain anyway, but you gotta remember that a tight belt will heat up faster and wear out quicker even with belt dressings.  Next time you take a good ride, check the temp of your belt.

It's up to you.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 11/25/07 at 08:31:56

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
We all tend to get stuck on the first thing that we try that works.  Right?

What IF you didn't have to jack up the bike, buy any belt dressing, and all that you had to do was to loosen the belt to a 90 degree twist?

Chances are that it will still squeak in the rain anyway, but you gotta remember that a tight belt will heat up faster and wear out quicker even with belt dressings.  Next time you take a good ride, check the temp of your belt.

It's up to you.
when temps go down <45 mine used to squeel no more..imo you should jack up the arse to do a proper belt alignment and tension adjustment like the stealership does.....

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #11 - 11/25/07 at 10:02:08

Greg and Thumperclone, thanks for your info, will do both first chance I get.  Between work and the bad weather we are about to get in a few hours, I can't ride anyways.  Lil Suzi is nice and warm and snug as a bug in a rug in the garage for the next few days.
Thanks again guys

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Taz

Bikes and boats,
Yeah!

Reply #12 - 11/25/07 at 13:52:55

Thanks for all the responses.
I'll be checking the belt tension and then probably use some king of belt dressing as suggested.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 11/25/07 at 14:05:00

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
when temps go down <45 mine used to squeel no more..imo you should jack up the arse to do a proper belt alignment and tension adjustment like the stealership does.....

Now that I have finished running out to the garage to make sure that I do not speak incorrectly, here goes.

First let me quote the Suzuki Service Manual...

On the last line of the first paragraph on page 2-12 it says: "Use the side stand for accurate adjustment".

The SSM does say to raise the rear wheel to check for belt wear but for adjusting the belt the wheel is supposed to be down.  So, if the "stealership" does it that way, then they do not even follow the manual.  That's really inspiring and the reason I am a "handyman" Tongue

However, just like using the gage is about useless, so is that whole approach, IMHO.  Here's why.

I know it seems right to raise the wheel, but as the rear wheel moves up the belt actually gets tighter.  The reason is that the swingarm and pulleys do not follow the same upward arc.  The pivot of their centerlines are offset.

(Note: that is why older dirt bikes had to run a loose chain with all their wheel travel)

Like the manual, I prefer to have it on the side stand because that puts some load on it.  When you sit on it, it gets even tighter.  Check it out.  Adjust the belt to spec, leave the gage in there and have someone bounce slowly on the seat while you watch.  You'll see the gage get tighter.  Now just imagine going over a speed bump.

Everyone can do it however they choose.  I just know that this topic comes up all the time, and I hear the same solutions over and over.  Why?  Most likely because the "stealership" adjusted it the "last" time.

(Note: the 90 degree method is an old industrial maintenance practice for checking belts)

We had 2 non-squeaking Savages (before my chain conversion), and we do not use the gage or any dressing on the belt.

IMO, if you use the gage and use a dressing, you have nothing more than an extra maintenance job.

From my CD...

The Savage Companion Photo CD

Click Above to Visit My Web Site or,

Look below for your method for adjusting belt tension.

It's up to you, now!

IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #14 - 11/25/07 at 16:10:39

Time for a chain conversion...

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 21:34:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squeel, screetch, chirp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.