Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noob Adjust Idle Mix Without Screwing Up (Read 13 times)
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Noob Adjust Idle Mix Without Screwing Up
11/20/07 at 18:13:15

Hello LS650 World,

I am a newbie with a 1998 stock Savage with about 6700 miles on the clock. I bought it from a person who thought she wanted to ride, but then she found other things to do. This thing sat in a garage for about 7 of its 10 year history, logged only 4,000 miles. I have been bracing myself for bike rot failures (bad gas, rust, scary spiders crawling from handgrips, etc).  So far, no sign of rot, maybe I got lucky, but I should replace the tires this winter.

My first Savage wrench merit badge goes to pulling the brass plug from the carb. Done! The symptoms I'm treating are "Wont stay running in cold weather (below 50f)". I've owned carburated VWs in the past and this is sounding like lean idle mix. The Savage even sounds like an old VW. The heater on the Savage is much better than the VW  Smiley

I was concerned about drilling too far when pulling the plug, but I managed to not screw it up. I also bought a new micrometer this year, so I measured the plug: it's  5/32" thick and about 1/4" diameter. Now to find a rubber plug to protect the idle screw. I've been measuring every thing since I bought the Micrometer. My wife shakes her head: "Do you have to measure the diamond on my ring again?".... Measure twice...

I don't own one of those fancy slide hammer thingies, so I improvised by winding a threaded "hook & eye" in to the newly drilled hole in the plug. Then I attached some dental floss to the eye. The Fourth Stooge in me got this idea that it would be cute to tie the other end of the floss to a door knob and then slam it shut, but I just wrapped it around my screwdriver and gave it about six tugs. No more plug! Where did it go? Down in to the starter well, that's where! Fortunately, the  strength of single strand of dental floss can support about 4,000 lbs, so I gave it a few more yanks and it came out of the starter well. Always keep dental floss in your toolkit! I betcha I could weave a new drive belt with it if I had tah!

I turned the screw in, out, re-adjusted the idle speed thumb screw. Turned the mixture screw in and out again. You're probably going to ask "How many turns?" - well that's a mystery, even to me. HOW CAN SOMEONE COUNT WHEN THEIR FINGERS ARE WRAPPED AROUND A BEER?!? Somewheres around three(ish). The idle sounds good, and it don't die when I let the throttle snap off. I'm ready to test!

Normally in Chicago I could count on cold conditions the week of Thanksgiving; that was until Congress screwed everything up by moving it up a week! It's a little over 55f and the bike is running smooth. The backfiring on deceleration has been replaced with a more manly grumble when I roll off.  I'll take another R&D ride next week (real Thanksgiving week) and get signoff on my handy work when it's about 40f outside.

Next merit badge: The 6,000 mile Savage Maintenance - Yes, that's right, I'll be replacing the blasted plug on the cyclinder head cuz my bike is bleading oil. I ordered the parts, and will be knocking that out in a week or so.

Micrometers rule - calipers drule!

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Noob Adjust Idle Mix Without Screwing Up
Reply #1 - 11/20/07 at 18:20:35

Flossing is good. Grin Welcome and have fun with the next project.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/21/07 at 06:20:21

That mixture screw is sposed to be adjusted while it's at operating temp, idling. Out till it starts to drop rpm,, very, very S  L  O  W  L  Y  do this.. then back in till it starts to drop RPM,, same sloowww, sloww, stuff, then back to middle of the 2 points where rpm started to drop. You may be forced to set the beer down. I did mine at red lights, Several red lights, before I was satisfied.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/21/07 at 07:10:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
That mixture screw is sposed to be adjusted while it's at operating temp, idling. Out till it starts to drop rpm,, very, very S  L  O  W  L  Y  do this.. then back in till it starts to drop RPM,, same sloowww, sloww, stuff, then back to middle of the 2 points where rpm started to drop. You may be forced to set the beer down. I did mine at red lights, Several red lights, before I was satisfied.

So.  You were drinking beer while riding?

Where did you get your cup holder?

Tongue

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 11/21/07 at 09:20:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
That mixture screw is sposed to be adjusted while it's at operating temp, idling.  

Yup - I was pulling in to peoples driveways to do this adjustment. I pull out my screwdriver, lay my head on the tank, and then turn the mixture screw and idle adjustment till I got the engine sound I want. (Tachometers are for babies!).

It is very much like setting up a guitar amp - gain up, volume down - sounds good? Showtime!

Where to put the beer? - hmmm - that useless speedo is taking up quality space in the gas tank - rip that out and wedge a beer can in there - if the can is too loose  try bigger can Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 11/21/07 at 11:31:16

1st2know wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Where to put the beer? - hmmm - that useless speedo is taking up quality space in the gas tank - rip that out and wedge a beer can in there - if the can is too loose  try bigger can Smiley

I like creativity Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 11/21/07 at 12:49:20

1st2know wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:

Looks pretty close to the size of a Fosters oilcan.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 11/24/07 at 06:58:37

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Looks pretty close to the size of a Fosters oilcan.

A long time since I had one of those...

I had a cup holder mounted in the fairing on my old XS850.  Actually had a Georgia cop pour out my beer on the side of the road once...and then he let me go 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 11/24/07 at 07:04:29

Back to the topic title...

If you want to adjust the mixture without "screwing up" then:

- Make sure that you don't tighten it down too much.  Just gently bottom the screw because you can break the tip or damage the seat...

- Don't lose the small spring, gasket or washer if you remove the screw completely

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #9 - 11/24/07 at 08:44:12

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
- Make sure that you don't tighten it down too much.  Just gently bottom the screw because you can break the tip or damage the seat...

- Don't lose the small spring, gasket or washer if you remove the screw completely

Thanks Greg!
So far I havent screwed that part up. What I did screw up was my (pre-mature) diagnoses: "Engine dies in cold weather - must be idle mix". I appear to be wrong Sad It still dies in the cold at stop lights (and left turns) unless I switch to PRI - even with a full tank. On PRI, the thing runs great.

I'm happy with my job of unscrewed up idle mix screwing, now to diagnose the real problem.  To keep it simple for now, I going to remove & replace the vacuum hose, run a pipecleaner thru the connection points.

Cool thing about the singles, critical fluid problems only have one place to exist! Now, to find that one place!

So my diagnostic sequence would be this:

1) Replace vacuum hose, clean the vacuum path
Fixed? Go back to my (ab)normal life

2) Pull the petc0ck - Break it down, sniff it, clean it, re-install it.
Fixed? Go back to staring at my oil leak.

3) Convert the petc0ck to Run/OFF/Res as per the thread from bobo383.
Fixed - OK, go back to FINEC/TKV  habbits.

4) Capitulate - squirm around on the garage floor crying my eyes out claiming to be a victim of some evil engineer. While I'm down there I migh find that darned petc0ck spring Smiley

This site is awesome! If I can fix the two I issues I have myself, I will have saved about $400.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 11/24/07 at 09:04:23

That's my kind of sense of humor Grin  

As long as the hose is in good shape, it does sound like a petc0ck problem.  The nipple on the carb is a no brainer unless a mud dauber made a nest in it Tongue

I hope you find the petc0ck spring because if you put it back together, attach hose, and suck on hose you can find out if petc0ck works properly.

No magic to it and you don't even have to collapse a lung.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 11/24/07 at 09:12:13

For a little shameless advertising... Tongue
Here is a photo from my