Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Now it's hopping like a Rabbit??? (Read 19 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Now it hopping like a Rabbit???
Reply #15 - 12/03/07 at 08:10:38

Honestly though, if the tire had gotten that low, you should have noticed some really sluggish handling long before the tube or rim changed.  It should have felt really heavy.

Remember that your air pressure specs are right there on the steering head...

Good that you got it fixed.  Flats on the front are a real drag Tongue

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 12/03/07 at 08:40:47

I've never had a bike with air pressure on the steering head, Its on the belt guard. Grin  I forgot there was one on the steering head I've always used the one on left side by the rear tire.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #17 - 12/03/07 at 10:25:34

So that next question should be, why was there a hole in the tube?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Thumpin

If you ain't thumpin
you may as well be
dumpin

Huntsville AL
Reply #18 - 12/03/07 at 13:17:08

I have wondered the same.  and maybe all air was not out because when you felt the tire it still felt quite hard.  The ride was not mushy at all, it just jerked the bars back and forth.  my best guess is that a rather small oject may have punctured it but not stayed in the tire (fell back out).

It feels so good when the ground shakes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 12/04/07 at 07:31:10

How long had that tube been in there?

Who installed that tube?

IP Logged
thegeeze
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 12/04/07 at 18:06:40

Hey guys just joined the forum today and would like to throw my two cents in. I decided in the spring of this year that I could change my tires myself. I always drag my wife to swap meets with me so I went looking for some tire irons. I was told by everyone that I would hurt myself and my bike would shake because the tires would be out of balance. I found a tire that had never been mounted but it was really old and dusty for $10. I bought it then found one for the rear and got a pair of tire irons off ebay. Now I'm a lifelong gearhead so I have done many car tires with  not so good tire machines. Worked in auto salvage for years. I got the tires off and the new ones mounted in about an hour. My hands were a little sore from arthritis and exertion but I got it done. The results were back tire no problem front tire had a hump around the inner tube valve. I took it off again a figured out that you can't tighten the valve nut until you put some air into the tire. Got the tire back on the right way but it wobbled  because it was warped in the direction that it leaned up against the wall while sitting for years. I talked to a friend who does tires on heavy equipment he said overinflate the tire leave it alone for 2 days don't ride the bike then let the air out down to 35#. I did this and everythings fine and my bike doesn't shake at any speed. I guess I got lucky. But it was hopping like mad when I first put that tire on!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 12/05/07 at 08:09:59

thegeeze wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Hey guys just joined the forum today and would like to throw my two cents in. I decided in the spring of this year that I could change my tires myself. I always drag my wife to swap meets with me so I went looking for some tire irons. I was told by everyone that I would hurt myself and my bike would shake because the tires would be out of balance. I found a tire that had never been mounted but it was really old and dusty for $10. I bought it then found one for the rear and got a pair of tire irons off ebay. Now I'm a lifelong gearhead so I have done many car tires with  not so good tire machines. Worked in auto salvage for years. I got the tires off and the new ones mounted in about an hour. My hands were a little sore from arthritis and exertion but I got it done. The results were back tire no problem front tire had a hump around the inner tube valve. I took it off again a figured out that you can't tighten the valve nut until you put some air into the tire. Got the tire back on the right way but it wobbled  because it was warped in the direction that it leaned up against the wall while sitting for years. I talked to a friend who does tires on heavy equipment he said overinflate the tire leave it alone for 2 days don't ride the bike then let the air out down to 35#. I did this and everythings fine and my bike doesn't shake at any speed. I guess I got lucky. But it was hopping like mad when I first put that tire on!

You are right.  I change my own tires.  I might do a couple things a little differently, but I do them for the same results as you. (I have a little tire bouncing trick that I use)

That is why I asked those questions Tongue

IP Logged
Thumpin

If you ain't thumpin
you may as well be
dumpin

Huntsville AL
Reply #22 - 12/05/07 at 11:55:33

The tube and tire had been on the bike for around 6 months to the tune of around 8000 miles.  It ran smooth as glass up until the problem started and does now again.  It still has around half of the tread (over  where the wear indicators are) left.  The stealership put the tire on.   I live on my sail boat on the Tennesee river and my workshop is one end of my storage cube so I can handle minor jobs but i really don't have the room, the tools, or the room for the tools to do a tire change.  I do my own oil changes, brake jobs and such but for tire work hell ith my living quarters as they are I jsut dont have the room ( give me a year we are looking for a permanent place).

It feels so good when the ground shakes.
  IP Logged
thegeeze
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 12/05/07 at 13:28:46

If a belt breaks inside of a tire the same thing happens it shakes and wobbles. At the junk yard we used to call uniroyal tires uniwobbles because just about every one of those  tires we sold used to come back wobbling and hopping like mad.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:00:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Now it's hopping like a Rabbit???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.