Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question on buying a Savage (Read 10 times)
Conor3000
Ex Member

Question on buying a Savage
11/16/07 at 10:20:09

Hey folks, I'm getting ready to enter the world of motorcycling and am looking for a good starter bike. I found a sub-$1200 1986 Savage LS 650. The guy appears to just need the money and it seems like a great deal. He said he gave it new front and back tires, air filter and a recent engine rebuild.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a good deal? As I'm learning I don't want to also have to deal with the bike falling apart, but saving the money would really help.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Question on buying a Savage
Reply #1 - 11/16/07 at 11:06:33

'86's have an issue with the starter.  The case can break if the engine kick's back on shut down.

All savages have an issue with the cam chain wear.  If ignored it will really bite you in the a$$.  You need to look at it every 5k to keep it at bay.

Both issues have fixes as well as many others.  Read through the tech section will give you an idea.

You didn't state mileage, but I paid $1200 for my '96.  Great bike glad I got it.

WWW   IP Logged
Conor3000
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/16/07 at 11:09:51

Thanks!

This guy also said he replaced the battery and now all of a sudden the front end is not getting electricity (by which I assume he means lights).

Is this a serious problem?

Conor

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/16/07 at 11:20:54

Old bike is going to have an issue with anything rubber.

It's got a short or a break somewhere.

Can be in the switches, wires, or just a loose connector.  That is definitely something I'd ask for a price reduction on (at least $200).  If you take it to a dealer to fix, can be big bucks cause they have to trace down what it is at whatever the shop rate is.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 11/16/07 at 11:42:58

Conor3000 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
....He said he gave it new front and back tires, air filter and a recent engine rebuild.....

Might me just me, but I get very suspicious of someone who puts new tires on a vehicle with a recent engine rebuild and then tries to sell it.  Reminds me of when I had a minion use Brasso to shine up leaky copper pipes.

I prefer an as-is used bike, not prettied up for the sale.  My bike came at 5,000 miles with the original tires (rear nearly gone) missing a side cover, tools -- but the guy was willing to ride it from Laguna Hills to Gardena.   He had been asking $2500 in cycle trader for quite a while when it appeared on ebay with a $1999 start -- typical result of a wifely ultimatum.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave48

Try owt once...

Nottingham, UK
Reply #5 - 11/16/07 at 11:55:28

I know nothing about typical USofA prices, BUT sounds pretty close to what would go for here! I just paid £850 ($1700?) for an '89. Cosmetically very nice and rode home OK, but as nearly always (I suspect)with a bike that age SOMETHING will need doing! In my case, clutch cable, disc pads, new front tyre, standard oil+filter....so far!
Here we rely a lot (and wrongly really) on annual MoT Certificate of roadworthiness. At least means tyres/exhaust/brakes/electrics WORK!
Can of course fail mechanically a few hours later.
Being naturally shallow I go by looks, plus tyres and exhaust - those bits can cost a lot to replace.
Only you can judge the seller!

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 11/16/07 at 13:18:43

See if the seller will let a mechanic look it over/test ride it.I wouldn't worry about the new tires,etc.I buy and sell bikes.If the tires are maybes they get new ones,same for brakes,etc.I built my '87 to sell,needed a few things now I love it so much I'm not selling it ...yet. Grin

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/16/07 at 19:04:47

I, too, wonder why anyone would spend all that $$ & time on it, then just put it up for sale..
I would insist it go to a mechanic( I pay for the mechanic to give it a going over) before I bought it.

My wife had the most horrible piece of crap car she was determined to buy not long after we were married. I couldnt talk her out of it, so I told her we would buy it, IF a mechanic said it was a decent car. I knew I was safe! Cost me $40.00 to not buy that piece O crap.

IF the guy doesnt want to let a mechanic look at it, you just saved yourself a few bucks!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #8 - 11/17/07 at 19:14:53

i paid alot less than that for my 87 with new tires, brakes, mirrors. it needed a cam chain, but it was well worth what i paid for it.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Conor3000
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/19/07 at 10:49:01

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up going with a newer Yamaha cause I didn't want to deal with the hassle of this bike.

Conor

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 11/19/07 at 11:56:37

Which Yammy?  I rode a '74 YammerHammer DT175 for over 12 years with basically zip maintainance.  IMHO, anything with 2 wheels and a motor counts.  If you are stability challenged or need greater carry capacity a thrid wheel is acceptable.  Four wheels are even acceptable as long as you have no doors.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 21:17:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on buying a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.