Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb Leak Diagnosis Pt. 3 (Read 5 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Carb Leak Diagnosis Pt. 3
11/19/07 at 13:34:34

part 1

part 2

Hello all!

should've been called carb ovefrflow diagnosis...

reminder: not for the stock carb, for a mikuni VM 38.

anyway, I tried adjusting the float from 20 mm to 16mm... still overflowed.

Finally tried removing the vacuum line, and capping the vacuum ports on the carb and petcock with 3/16" (I think that was the size) vacuum caps.  Seems to have worked.  No more overflows in several hundred miles.  Rough/eratic idle, need to readjust the float height and get the pilot circuit dialed in.

So, anyone having a similar problem and the needle valve is working, you might try my solution.

Best to all and Happy Thanksgiving!

V

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Re: Carb Leak Diagnosis Pt. 3
Reply #1 - 11/20/07 at 03:03:50

Time out.......... ???

What vacuum ports on the carb?  I am pretty sure the VM carbs don't have vacuum ports.  The only vacuum port you would have with a VM carb would be if you installed a new manifold with one to drive the petcock.

Can you show a picture of the ports?  or describe them in detail where they are?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 11/20/07 at 06:10:03

He may have added a vacuum port to the carb, as I did to my Amal Mk2, to allow for normal functionality of the LS650s petc0ck.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/20/07 at 07:16:43

Don't they have synchronizer ports???

Those are vacuum.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #4 - 11/20/07 at 18:35:57

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Don't they have synchronizer ports???

Those are vacuum.

Not on the VM's that I am aware of.

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 11/21/07 at 11:13:23

there's a port on there on the one I got from Lancer.  it goes through the throttle body on the engine side of the carb.  I had it hooked up to the vacuum port on the petcock for the same reason as Rob.  Will take a pic as time permits.

V

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 11/26/07 at 13:21:54

Pic time!

you can see the vac port in both pics... on the left hand, upper, & engine side of the carb.  It goes all the way through the throttle body.

btw:  the slide & needle are obviously out  for these pics.

btw2:  set the float height back to 20mm... erratic idle is NOT fixed... yet.

V

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 11/27/07 at 20:01:49

I agree it is a vacuum port although not stock for a standard replacement VM36 carb.  It has either been added or it is a non standard carb from some other application.  Either way it will provide vacuum for the petcock.  however if you are having idle problems (different from your overflow) it could be a vacuum leak causing a lean condition at idle.  This could be either the vacuum hose being cracked, the vacuum port leaking where it goes into the carb body, or the rubber intake boot on the engine being cracked or leaking where it mounts to the engine.  .... or it could be something other than a leak.  Normally if it is an air leak it will run better on just a little bit of choke....that is a sure sign of a lean condition.

you said it overflowed gas but the valve needle shut off.  Did you shake the float to listen for gas in it?  (first question is it the old brass style?)  I had one on my old GT spring a leak and sink a float.  valve worked fine but the float wouldn't float!!

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #8 - 11/28/07 at 11:42:57

Hey blue...

all problems seem to presently be fixed... the idle problem turned out to be corosion between the spark plug wire and the spark plug cap.

as to the floats, they are the plastic ones.  I checked their bouyancy many times... I think there was no vacuum or airt leaks, but the vacuum was pulling too much fuel into the bowl.  It was kind of odd because it only happened occasionally.  I'm only running on prime now with both vac. ports capped.  Seems to have solved the problem.  Once I'm sure, I'll do the petcock mod.

BTW, VM 38

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 23:30:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Leak Diagnosis Pt. 3

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.