Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do I remove rust from inside tank? (Read 13 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
How do I remove rust from inside tank?
11/14/07 at 18:57:04

Aloha!!
It's been a while.
I keep on doing more and more on the bike.
1. Took the muffler off to see if it had any holes that cause back firing.
2. Decided to take rear tire off to check the brakes
3. Seeing the tire was off, I decided to clean the rim up and give it some personal touches.
4. Then I thought, maybe I'll repaint the tank, cause paint is bubbling up. I got all the paint off, and it turns out it is extremely rusty underneath paint.
I put phospo on it. and sanded it all nice and smooth.

Got busy with work, and looked in tank today only to see that it started rusting inside from sitting without a cap on for a few days!! AAAHHHHH!!
So what should I do about this? Will the rust go away once I put gas in it?
Should I put phospo inside and swoosh it around to coat the rust?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: How do I remove rust from inside tank?
Reply #1 - 11/14/07 at 20:09:55

doesn't sound like heavy rust, likely not worth the goop to stick it down - rattle some bb's in there for awhile and use an in-line filter is likely good enough

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 11/14/07 at 22:08:49

Gee... are you taking your bike apart?  Kinda like me Tongue

Rust in the tank is always possible.  Steel and water vapor.  That's all it takes.

If your tank is completely empty and dry (and gonna stay that way for awhile), then spray some WD40 around the inside and stick an oily rag in the filler hole to keep out bugs and stuff.

The biggest problem with tanks is trapped moisture.  It settles in the bottom and causes rust where you can't even see.  So the idea is to allow the tank to breathe.  Leave the cap off so that weather changes inside and out are the same.  

When you go to use it again, a little WD40 won't hurt a thing.  Just add gas.

PS - if your tank has gas in it, drain it out and put it in your car.  You want the tank empty and dry.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 11/15/07 at 05:04:36

When you get the bbs out put a couple oz of SeaFoam in tank and roll tank around to cover all parts a tank. Then empty out when you put new gas in.And put more SeaFoam in to clean the carb out.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 11/15/07 at 06:38:02

Islandwahine,
  Living in paradise is not always a paradise.  

Gasoline expands and contracts with the daily temperature changes.  At night when it contracts, it pulls air into the tank (nature hates a vacuum.....).  Since you live on the islands,  It's pulling in humid air and possibly slightly salty air.    That's why for longer term storage you should fill the tank ; or drain,  dry, wd-40 it then seal.

If you are re-doing your tank, it would be advisable for you to coat the tank.  I'm sure the cycle shops over there have kits to do this.

I really like POR15  because it can also fill pin holes.  They have a tank kit available online (clean & seal).   If you use this stuff, heed their warning, don't get it on you skin,   it sticks really, really good.
see: http://www.por15.com/

If your bike was a California model & "stock" you would have less of a problem because of the canister setup.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 11/15/07 at 09:26:22

That's why I recommend draining a tank and leaving it open if it will be unused for a while.  You won't have the temp changes and the humidity will be no more than ambient anyway.  Any kind of water repellent will do the rest.

You can also seal it with a product called Kream.  Just don't do like one customer that I had...he sealed his tank plus the vent holes in his gas cap.  

Put some "cling wrap" under the cap when you seal the tank.  The stuff will make a mess out of the vents, seals and maybe even the key lock Tongue

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 11/15/07 at 09:27:56

T-Mack  I just took a look at the website...will that stuff work with constant contact with gasoline?

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 11/15/07 at 12:45:42

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
T-Mack  I just took a look at the website...will that stuff work with constant contact with gasoline?

The regular POR15 will for regular gas  (no ethanol).  The fuel tank POR15 stuff is rated to handle Alcohol which means it will handle ethanol.

Also, regular POR15 doesn't like too much UV exposure.   Not a problem for the inside of a tank.

EDIT: here's the link to the complete cycle tank kit:
http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=CTRK&dept=11

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 11/15/07 at 17:36:03

Thanks guys!!
The tank is still empty, and I've finished putting on primer and several coats of paint. (same metallic blue). I did the same to the 2 side covers. I found some cool stencil designs and copied them into MS Word, resized them and printed them on the back of some lightly sticky contact paper. The tricky part was cutting out the different pieces of the design, but it went ok.
Stuck the contact paper on the side covers and spray painted a different color over it and peeled the contact paper back off.
Amazing!! I'm getting pretty excited here!!
Now I'm not too afraid to start on the tank.
The design color is silver, and I'm hoping it can handle Goo-Gone, cause a little bit of the contact paper glue stuck to the paint.
"Talk" to you guys in a few days!

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 11/15/07 at 22:15:46

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Thanks guys!!
The tank is still empty, and I've finished putting on primer and several coats of paint. (same metallic blue). I did the same to the 2 side covers. I found some cool stencil designs and copied them into MS Word, resized them and printed them on the back of some lightly sticky contact paper. The tricky part was cutting out the different pieces of the design, but it went ok.
Stuck the contact paper on the side covers and spray painted a different color over it and peeled the contact paper back off.
Amazing!! I'm getting pretty excited here!!
Now I'm not too afraid to start on the tank.
The design color is silver, and I'm hoping it can handle Goo-Gone, cause a little bit of the contact paper glue stuck to the paint.
"Talk" to you guys in a few days!

Do you guys ever have "winter" there?  If you did, I bet that we could get you to tear your engine apart pretty soon too. Tongue

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 11/19/07 at 05:28:23

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Do you guys ever have "winter" there?  If you did, I bet that we could get you to tear your engine apart pretty soon too. Tongue

Yeah, it gets into the 60's and low 70's there...brrrrrrr, break out the sweaters folks  Cheesy

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #11 - 11/19/07 at 05:52:52

the pro 15 is better than the kreem, sometime the kreem will flake and youll have nice little floaties in your tank

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 11/19/07 at 06:34:15

rigidchop wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
the pro 15 is better than the kreem, sometime the kreem will flake and youll have nice little floaties in your tank

Never noticed that, but then I don't seal tanks all the time either.  Maybe it was just bad preparation, because the stuff I've seen has been pretty darned hard.

IP Logged
Arthur
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/19/07 at 10:28:57

I've used the POR-15 gas tank kit many times on automobile and motorcycle tanks and I can tell you it works well without any problems.  I can highly recommend it.   Arthur

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #14 - 11/19/07 at 13:30:15

i dont know if it from bad prep or what, but i have seen a few, the job that was done on my chopper, was sub par, i'll be using the por 15 from now on.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:29:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How do I remove rust from inside tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.