Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fork oil change results (Read 10 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Fork oil change results
11/12/07 at 13:40:10

After doing some research, I changed my fork oil with Amsoil Synthetic ATF.  So far I really like the improved response and rebound dampening.  The one thing I'm still wondering is this:

The front axle didn't seat in the same place on the pinch bolt as before.  There are two or three deep grooves in the axel sticking out on the inside that was apparently the place where the pinch bolt caught it before.  Should I be concerned about this?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Fork oil change results
Reply #1 - 11/12/07 at 13:48:27

It depends...Tongue

I mean, (don't shoot yet) are you sure that you got it together right?

I do know that I'm not particularly fond of the fork caps as the method to tighten the top triple tree to the tubes.  You kinda gotta loosen and retighten the lower triple tree clamps just to make sure that you don't pull the top and bottom trees together when you tighten the fork cap (that's what I do anyway).

Either way, if you are concerned, raise the front wheel and loosen the axle pinch bolt.  Then loosen the lower tree clamps and see if there was any binding or if the trees are twisted at all (relative to eachother).

If not, maybe it was wrong because of a PO.  Good luck.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 11/12/07 at 19:10:26

I didn't have time to tear into it today, hopefully tomorrow.  Thanks for the response, Greg.  No, I'm not sure it's back together right even though I was when I did it  Undecided

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 11/12/07 at 19:46:35

Ok, I couldn't stand it.  I went out and tore into it anyhow.  Here's what I've concluded:

When I started this project, I didn't remove the Tkat forkbrace for fork removal to keep them in the same relative position.  Same goes for bolting them back into the triple tree.  When I just went out and loosened the pinch bolt at the bottom of the right fork, I noticed I could force it in and out.  With no weight on it, it wanted to sit further out than originally, or in the same spot as after the R&R.

Previously, the fork seals would wipe dirt up the forks in an uneven pattern and I never paid much attention to it.  Now I notice the slight ring at the top of the seal travel is very symetric and round.  I have to conclude that the geometry is better now than before, but I can't really account for the grooves on the axle.  I did ride my bike and it felt fine, actually still much better than before the fork oil swap.

Also, I didn't tighten the bottom triple tree clamps until I had completely tightened the fork caps.  I tightened everything from the top, down.

I did verify the trees are in the right position relative to each other, and there is no binding...

After checking everything for the third time, I think the dealership had it messed up, maybe even when they assembled it.

At any rate, if anybody thinks I've made a mistake please let me know.  I'm not a big fan of the "flaming death" thing... Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 11/13/07 at 06:35:17

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Ok, I couldn't stand it.  I went out and tore into it anyhow.  Here's what I've concluded:

When I started this project, I didn't remove the Tkat forkbrace for fork removal to keep them in the same relative position.  Same goes for bolting them back into the triple tree.  When I just went out and loosened the pinch bolt at the bottom of the right fork, I noticed I could force it in and out.  With no weight on it, it wanted to sit further out than originally, or in the same spot as after the R&R.

Sounds pretty normal to me.

Quote:
Previously, the fork seals would wipe dirt up the forks in an uneven pattern and I never paid much attention to it.  Now I notice the slight ring at the top of the seal travel is very symetric and round.  I have to conclude that the geometry is better now than before, but I can't really account for the grooves on the axle.  I did ride my bike and it felt fine, actually still much better than before the fork oil swap.

Also, I didn't tighten the bottom triple tree clamps until I had completely tightened the fork caps.  I tightened everything from the top, down.

I just mentioned it, because the lower clamp bolts are handy if (and only if) you need to retain the forks temporarily during assembly.  Gotta loosen them as you did.

Quote:
I did verify the trees are in the right position relative to each other, and there is no binding...

After checking everything for the third time, I think the dealership had it messed up, maybe even when they assembled it.

Dealerships are only experts in their own mind Tongue

Quote:
At any rate, if anybody thinks I've made a mistake please let me know.  I'm not a big fan of the "flaming death" thing... Grin

Think that you got it, myself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:15:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork oil change results

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.