Send Topic Print
Windshield? (Read 33 times)
joeh100

http://www.livevideo
.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Windshield?
11/12/07 at 05:11:50

Does a windshield help with cold weather riding.  ie.. keep the wind off you more and keep you from freezing your a$$ off.

I like the look of the custom sport shield on the suzuki site.

Where do you guys buy parts?

Watch my motorcycle videos at Live Video
http://www.livevideo.com/joeh100
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Windshield?
Reply #1 - 11/12/07 at 05:27:15

Quote:
Posted by: joeh100

Does a windshield help with cold weather riding.  ie.. keep the wind off you more and keep you from freezing your a$$ off.

I like the look of the custom sport shield on the suzuki site.  

Where do you guys buy parts?  

Yes......helps big time with cold weather riding.  I have a non-Suzuki windsheild that also covers the handgrips.  That's a big help on the Brrrr cold days.    

Mine is not as sporty as a bunch of the others,...but the price was right.   It was on my previous bike and the new owner didn't want it,  so it was free.  Sorry I don't know the brand.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 11/12/07 at 06:03:30

The windscreen stops those icy fingers slipping past the neck area.

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 11/12/07 at 06:10:44

Between the windscreen and fairing on my MC, I ride in a bubble, it's kinda nice in winter or bad weather. I don't think I could ride all winter without a windscreen and fairing.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 11/12/07 at 06:18:06

i have the suzuki "sprot sheild" on my 06    looks are its strong point along with being fork mounted..is ok round town ... wind comes over the top right in my face, not wide enuff for hand protection  am looking to upgrade..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #5 - 11/12/07 at 06:30:44

I use a Windjammer enterprise shield, its bigger than many but most importantly it keeps your hands out of the windstream, helping to keep them usable. Cheesy

IP Logged
joeh100

.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #6 - 11/12/07 at 06:47:57

I guess I'm a wuss, because it was around 69 F yesterday and I was getting cold.  I was dressed pretty warm too.  Maybe the low humidity made it feel colder too, because today my lips are very chapped.  

If it gets any colder I won't be able to ride without one, unless I dress up like an eskimo.

I wear a full face helmet, so I'm not to worried about wind over the shield except maybe hitting my neck.

T-Mack1, are you sure you didn't put that thing on upside down...JK!

~Joe

IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/12/07 at 06:49:27

I have a 17' Memphis Fats because I have a bad neck. The wind pushing on my helmet will give me a headache after a half hour ride on the freeway.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 11/12/07 at 07:01:33

I have a   rifle 24 wide 18 high works real good. I've always used a windshield. I don't like riding without one.$300 dollars but worth it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 11/12/07 at 07:25:10

joeh100 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:

T-Mack1, are you sure you didn't put that thing on upside down...JK!

~Joe

Yea......sort of looks like it might be  till you look at the headlight and see the cut-out with rubber trim.

I wanted to tip it back more but it hits the brake fluid reservoir.   I think if I did that the wind would hit me in the face too.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 11/12/07 at 08:57:41

I have the National Cycle shield on mine. It's great year round. It's designed to be quickly put on and off leaving the clamps on the bike. I've done a few long (2.4k-4.5k miles) with it and one long trip with a smaller shield. The wind just beats you up sumthin' fierce out on the big roads without the larger one. Mine covers the hands, down to about mid-knee and I have it set so the top's about even with my eyes when I slouch down. In the rain if I keep moving I'm only really wet from the knees down.

The problem with their shields is that they use those cheesy a$$ed plastic clamps for the handlebar mounting. I put mine on the first time and an hour after I was done with the bike just sitting in the garage I heard a little snap. One of the parts that goes around the bar just broke apart all by itself. And they charged (a couple years ago) $25 for the pair of them. You have to buy them 'cause the shield comes with 3/4" clamps stock, plastic also. Needless to say I made do with the broken clamp. Once was enough. The shield that was on my used 650 when I got it was a Memphis Shades (I think) and the metal mounting hardware is amazingly strong and easily adjustable.

Jack

IP Logged
joeh100

.com/joeh100

Cent. Alabama
Reply #11 - 11/12/07 at 11:46:42

Well I'm sold now.  I definately want a shield but I don't know which one yet.  Are they pretty much universal or do I have to buy one for the savage?

I don't like the looks of a big shield on a small bike, but I admit the sports shield is a little small, so I'd like something a little larger than that.

Anywhere you guys recommend looking?  Online sites, etc...

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #12 - 11/12/07 at 11:56:17

Nat Cycle "Flyscreen" Flea-Bay aquisition ... love the "minimalist" look and believe it or not, does make cruising at speeds over 80kph quite a bit more comfortable! Grin

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/12/07 at 19:36:05

Try this web site http://www.memphisshades.com/  and click around. These windshields come on and off in less than a minute.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 11/12/07 at 23:07:44

joeh100 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
...I don't like the looks of a big shield on a small bike, but I admit the sports shield is a little small...

I have the Flyscreen, same as Perry; as he said, it relieves wind pressure on the body so that high speed cruising is not a matter of the wind trying to push you off the bike.  My first Full Moon run was with the flyshield and was fine until I hit 30-40 mph headwinds at 65 mph.

Next Full Moon run was with the 17" Street Shield, ran into the same headwinds, no problem.  That was the windscreen I ran to OKC and back -- keeps a small pocket of nearly still air at the face.  Except when I had 20+ mph crosswind -- the still pocket was pushed off to the side!   For winter use, the Street Shield keeps those icy finger from your throat -- but your hands are out in the wind.  

For more protection the National Cycle Plexifairing GT will provide near complete coverage.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:29:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.