Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Poor Wo/Man's stand modification? (Read 16 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Poor Wo/Man's stand modification?
11/11/07 at 14:15:16

Greg, I was thinking of a modification to your stand.  
Instead of nailing down the 2x4s that hold the tire, bolt them down at the ends where they meet the  other 2x4, and latch them down at the front. The reason why I'm suggesting this is that the back tire (at least mine) is almost 11/2 times wider and won't fit now. So maybe when using a bolt I can swivel the front opening wider to fit the rear tire, and then latch it tight (like a garden gate).  You think that might work?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Poor Wo/Man's stand modification?
Reply #1 - 11/11/07 at 14:47:47

As for the tire, I know what you mean.  

I had thought about making a v-shope for different tire sizes but there's only so much that you can do with a 2 x 4.  What I actually do (and sorta forgot until now) is space the front tire.  I made it big enough for the back tire, but when I use it on the front tire, I just slide a short piece of 2 x 4 down the side of the tire.

Ya know, there's room in my topic for your ideas.  I added another guy's thoughts to it yesterday.  Feel free.  I could even change the title to include WOO-MAN Grin

I kinda figured that the Poor Man's Bike Stand might end up being a developing thing anyway.  Especially if you check the price that you'd have to pay for the real thing..Tongue

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 11/12/07 at 03:56:11

Another stand with some good versatility is this one.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

The trick is to make the under-the-bike cross member long enough to stick out on both ends some and put eyebolts on the ends of it so you can tie your bike down to it so it can't tip over.

Another useful mod is to make the "pipe lever" out of 2x4 wood so it lays flush to the floor when the stand is in "up" position -- this makes a large support triangle to hold your bike steady.

Advantage to this one is quick use -- 10-15 seconds is all it takes to get your bike up in the air on either end (by kickstand for a front lift, under airbox for a rear lift).

This one doesn't require buying a hydraulic jack lift, either.  

A pile of busted up used skids have the required wood in them so construction costs can approach the "free" range (still gotta buy glue and screws if you don't already have them).

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 11/12/07 at 13:43:40

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Another stand with some good versatility is this one.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

The trick is to make the under-the-bike cross member long enough to stick out on both ends some and put eyebolts on the ends of it so you can tie your bike down to it so it can't tip over.

Another useful mod is to make the "pipe lever" out of 2x4 wood so it lays flush to the floor when the stand is in "up" position -- this makes a large support triangle to hold your bike steady.

Advantage to this one is quick use -- 10-15 seconds is all it takes to get your bike up in the air on either end (by kickstand for a front lift, under airbox for a rear lift).

This one doesn't require buying a hydraulic jack lift, either.  

A pile of busted up used skids have the required wood in them so construction costs can approach the "free" range (still gotta buy glue and screws if you don't already have them).

Oldfeller

That one's been around a real long time, and I think it's already in the Tech section...

The advantages of "The Poor Man's Bike Stand" are that one wheel (either one) is fixed to the floor and you can physically raise the bike as high as you want on the other end.  It also will even steady a dirt bike which is much higher off the floor.  You aren't limited by the thickness of the boards you put together for the Nightrider stand.

Of course, I'm not marketing the thing, so it doesn't matter.  People will use what they want and I just offered the idea.  I don't use it all the time.  Sometimes, I just use 3-4 pieces of 2 x 12 that I cut for another method if I want.  It's all about having options in the garage.

But, can you do this with the Nightrider ? Smiley

Oh yeah, one thing that I forgot...the whole premise of my stand was that most home mechanics have a hydraulic floor jack.  Most home mechanics also work on their cars.  As I think I explained months ago, I built it because a jack alone is hard to use with a bike.

If you don't have or want a jack, you know your other option then....right?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 11/12/07 at 13:49:05

Oldfeller2 I made one like that it really works good. No hassle it just goes up

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 11/12/07 at 22:27:46

No doubt, there are several cheap ways to suspend your bike, including the old block & tackle over a rafter or tree limb. I've used most of them at one time or another.

But I did want to point out a secondary use for the "floorboard" wheel holder type. (My own version of which I've used since the 80s) They're handy to throw in the back of a pickup to stick the front wheel of the bike into to help stabilize it. I have had the front forks of bikes bounce until the bike started to slip; because I hate to bind the forks down really, really hard. I don't think it's good for the fork springs to be bottomed out with load binders; then subjected to load shocks. Anyways... with the board in place, you don't have to tighten the forks down quite so tight for them to stay in place. I no longer have the thing, but here's a childish drawing of it to get an idea:

http://catoosatrading.com/images/cycles/wheelhold.jpg

The construction is all 3/4" plywood. I used treated wood and galvanized screws; because it often got left in the back of the truck.

I'm lucky enough now to have the nice aluminum cycle jack from Sears/Craftsman... and I've been watching the prices drop on the table type lifts... If I just had room for the dang thing in the garage.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 11/13/07 at 05:02:32

That's what I was thinking of when I threw my boards together.  I'm just not a skilled carpenter. Tongue

You can buy front wheel devices for standing a bike without straps too.  They just capture the front tire and prevent it from turning side to side.  Pricey though.

With the PMBS you don't have to pull the straps tight to hold the bike.  Hardly any spring compression needed to balance the bike vertically anyway.

Now, I just wonder what's written on the other side of your piece of paper Grin

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 11/13/07 at 08:56:00

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
That's what I was thinking of when I threw my boards together.  I'm just not a skilled carpenter. Tongue

Now, I just wonder what's written on the other side of your piece of paper Grin

I made sure that even with a mirror what is on the other side of the paper was benign. Because I know human nature well enough to know that some people would try and figure it out. Now we know you're one of those... Grin
Really though, you have to be careful what is on the fringes of any picture you post etc... because somebody will notice every knot in a shoelace (or whatever) and ask about it. Like I said: "human nature."

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 11/13/07 at 09:07:51

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I made sure that even with a mirror what is on the other side of the paper was benign. Because I know human nature well enough to know that some people would try and figure it out. Now we know you're one of those... Grin
Really though, you have to be careful what is on the fringes of any picture you post etc... because somebody will notice every knot in a shoelace (or whatever) and ask about it. Like I said: "human nature."

I know what "crop" is, and I ain't afraid to use it Tongue

(I wonder how many will read that another way)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:29:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Poor Wo/Man's stand modification?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.