Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
tpes of Oil (Read 208 times)
gonzo
YaBB Newbies

I like to Ride

tpes of Oil
11/11/07 at 09:43:16

I was told by my Suzuki parts dealer that I need to use a motorcycle oil (i.e. suzuki) because it also lubes the transission and it has some special stuff in (magic bean powder) is this true? I like mobel 1

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: tpes of Oil
Reply #1 - 11/11/07 at 10:13:37

Your Suzuki parts dealer SELLS motorcycle oil.  The Owner's Manual sumply specifies the grade, which matches the Valvoline that Wendy has in the trunk of her Camaro.  

In my humble opinion, religiously changing oil and filter on a regular basis does far more toward protecting the engine.

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 11/11/07 at 13:28:12

I have personally never used non-JASO oil in my m/c, but some have reported that it caused clutch slipping.  Actually, the dealer fed you a load of bull.  non-JASO oil will lube transmission gears better than JASO oil will.  The only question is whether the clutch can handle it.  I use Amsoil 10-40 in mine.  It is JASO rated, but also CI-4++ and SL...

Note:  JASO specifies wet-clutch compatability, CI-4++ is the best lubricating diesel oil rating, SL is the best gasoline engine rated oil.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #3 - 11/11/07 at 16:08:27

Been using Mobil 1 since 1976 in all my vehicles. My 900SS Ducati's (wet clutch) never complained even during four seasons of road racing. My '83 650 GL Interstate has liked it for 29000 miles now and my S(avage)40 seems to like it too for the last 2200 miles. I use 15W50 ext service which has no friction modifiers and has almost identical properties to Mobil V Twin for which they'll charge you more and is harder to find. Guess other synthetics will work fine too but they were not around when Mobil came out in 1976. (It's (almost) mandatory in Porsche,Ferrari, Mercedes, Corvette etc). My cars get the lighter weight 5W30 Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Diesel marine oil?
Reply #4 - 11/11/07 at 17:20:45

I've been doing a lot of sailing this summer with a friend and she SWEARS by diesel-marine 4-stroke oil.
She uses it in her on-board volvo V6, in her gasoline car and Harley too (dynaglide). She bought a few 5 liter cans (15W-40 I think) a while back and still has some, I'm gonna try it next oil change  Grin , all the claims sound wonderful and all but I'm a bit worried about the "special" marine additives messing the savage's transmission though. Currently using Mobil1 10W-50.

Wikipedia.- In petrol engines, the top compression ring can expose the motor oil to temperatures of 320 °F / 160 °C . In diesel engines the top ring can expose the oil to temperatures over 600 °F / 315 °C.

DIESEL MARINE 4 STROKE OIL PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Diesel marine oil is a modern blend of high performance synthetic base stocks, natural base stocks, and advanced additives. It provides outstanding performance and protection over extended drain intervals in light and heavy-duty engines.

- Remains Stable at Temperature Extremes
Oil does not change viscosity (thicken or thin) at temperature extremes like conventional motor Oil.
- Resists Oxidation - Reduces Engine Wear
- Extended Drain Intervals
- Improves Cold Weather Performance
Due to their wax content, conventional Oil thicken in cold temperatures and, on cold starts, may take minutes to lubricate internal engine parts. Synthetic Blend Diesel Motor Oil stays fluid at very low temperatures. It circulates rapidly to provide vital lubrication and prevent engine wear caused by lack of Oil flow.
- Reduces Oil Consumption
- Improves Fuel Economy and Reduces Emissions
- Protects Against Rust and Corrosion

Also found this interesting 4-Stroke ATV Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 0W-40 http://www.lubes-n-filters.com/synthetics/motor-oil/synthetic-four-stroke-0W-...

...any thoughts?

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 11/12/07 at 03:21:46

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Been using Mobil 1 since 1976 in all my vehicles. My 900SS Ducati's (wet clutch) never complained even during four seasons of road racing. My '83 650 GL Interstate has liked it for 29000 miles now and my S(avage)40 seems to like it too for the last 2200 miles. I use 15W50 ext service which has no friction modifiers and has almost identical properties to Mobil V Twin for which they'll charge you more and is harder to find. Guess other synthetics will work fine too but they were not around when Mobil came out in 1976. (It's (almost) mandatory in Porsche,Ferrari, Mercedes, Corvette etc). My cars get the lighter weight 5W30 Grin

Amsoil came out in 1972...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Diesel marine oil?
Reply #6 - 11/12/07 at 03:24:38

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I've been doing a lot of sailing this summer with a friend and she SWEARS by diesel-marine 4-stroke oil.
She uses it in her on-board volvo V6, in her gasoline car and Harley too (dynaglide). She bought a few 5 liter cans (15W-40 I think) a while back and still has some, I'm gonna try it next oil change  Grin , all the claims sound wonderful and all but I'm a bit worried about the "special" marine additives messing the savage's transmission though. Currently using Mobil1 10W-50.

Wikipedia.- In petrol engines, the top compression ring can expose the motor oil to temperatures of 320 °F / 160 °C . In diesel engines the top ring can expose the oil to temperatures over 600 °F / 315 °C.

DIESEL MARINE 4 STROKE OIL PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Diesel marine oil is a modern blend of high performance synthetic base stocks, natural base stocks, and advanced additives. It provides outstanding performance and protection over extended drain intervals in light and heavy-duty engines.

- Remains Stable at Temperature Extremes
Oil does not change viscosity (thicken or thin) at temperature extremes like conventional motor Oil.
- Resists Oxidation - Reduces Engine Wear
- Extended Drain Intervals
- Improves Cold Weather Performance
Due to their wax content, conventional Oil thicken in cold temperatures and, on cold starts, may take minutes to lubricate internal engine parts. Synthetic Blend Diesel Motor Oil stays fluid at very low temperatures. It circulates rapidly to provide vital lubrication and prevent engine wear caused by lack of Oil flow.
- Reduces Oil Consumption
- Improves Fuel Economy and Reduces Emissions
- Protects Against Rust and Corrosion

Also found this interesting 4-Stroke ATV Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 0W-40 http://www.lubes-n-filters.com/synthetics/motor-oil/synthetic-four-stroke-0W-...

...any thoughts?

The Amsoil 0-40 would work fine year round and might be prefered if you ride thru the winter.  Considered switching to it myself.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #7 - 11/12/07 at 04:57:53

What your motorcycle dealer told you is mostly correct.
There is a formulaic difference between automotive grade oils and motorcycle grade oils.  Automotive grade oils have friction modifier packages blended into them that Motorcycle grade oils do not.  These friciton modifiers can lead to clutch failure (due to slippage) after long term use.  All automotive grade oils have a concentration of these modifiers, with more being found in lighter viscocities and less in the heavier viscosities.

Diesel oil, like Motorcycle grade oil, does not contain any of the friction modifiers found in automotice oil.  Instead, the manufacturers use phosphorus and other chemical detergents to improve the lubricity of the base oil as well as suspend particulants.  Diesel oil has more zinc and phosphorus as well as other detergents when compared to motorcycle oil.   Many people run diesel oil in their motorcycle with ver good results.  

What brand of oil you choose is up to you.  Folks tend to have a favorite brand of oil much the same way they have a favorite brand of beer and a favorite college football team.  (According to them)  There are no substitutes.  It's that way or the highway (sounds alot like church, doesn't it.  No wonder I stopped going).

When it comes to shopping for oil, remeber these pointers:
All oil is only as good as the base oil used to manufacture it as well as the type and concentration of detergents selected.  Additionally, the best oil is not always the most expensive.

Now that you're thoroughly confused, I'll be quiet. Grin

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/12/07 at 09:57:12

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 09:49:05 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #9 - 11/12/07 at 10:57:58

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Amsoil came out in 1972...

Yes they did and Mobil 1 came in 1974. I am usually not the 1st one to jump on the bandwagon and be a guinipig. Thats what attracted me to the Savage, well proven. I let them sort out their "baby" problems first. Mobil came out with an aviation synthetic a few years ago. Glad I stuck with my trusty Shell 50 in my almost new Continental aircraft engine because it turned out that synthetic could not keep lead (from the gas) in suspension and formed a grey sludge which ruined many an engine and caused Mobil to pull it of the market. So when Formula 1 (car) started embracing Mobil 1 with excellent results, I decided to try it in my 900SS in '76. Had excellent  experience, so I have stuck with it (Don't fix it if it ain't broke). I am convinced that Amsoil synthetic is just as good. In my area it is more expensive though. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 11/12/07 at 11:20:12

Vtail, if you or anyone else is interested in getting discounts on Amsoil, send me a PM and I'll give you details...I wouldn't be in this to make any $, just cover my dealership fees.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #11 - 11/12/07 at 11:25:46

Appreciate your offer, but I'm with a high-end autodealership and I get my Mobil right here, otherwise I'd take you up on it cause these (synthetic) oils are way superiorSmiley

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #12 - 11/12/07 at 20:03:29

In my very limited experience this is the way it went for me.
When I got the bike from a dealer I have no Idea what was in it but no clutch slip. I changed the oil and filter a few times over the next say 8,000 miles I used Rotela T car oil  or Chevron 15-40 oil.  During those times I noticed the clutch would slip from time to time when I opened it up a bit. So much so I ordered heavy duty clutch springs. Last oil change I used Valvoline MotorCycle oil. Which is about the same price as car oil from Autozone. Tonight I deliberately tried to make the clutch slip, it wouldn't slip at all.  Now it took about 2000 miles on the MC oil to stop it slipping. I will try to make it slip a bit more aggressively tomorrow, but there is marked improvement by changing oil for me     I know this probably makes it even more confusing but I would say go with a MC oil or experiment with a diesel oil but the common car oils seem to be no longer suitable for a wet clutch.

Just my 2d's worth
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 11/12/07 at 20:23:26

Shell Rotella 15-40 costs about 9 bucks a gallon, works juuuust fine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #14 - 11/12/07 at 21:50:51

Thats the one I was using,  maybe it's the age of my bike it's an '87. Maybe my clutch springs are just a little weaker than they should be. Who knows but I am going to see if I can make it slip tomorrow and I'll post my finding.  I may have spoke too soon, about it not slipping.
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:32:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tpes of Oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.