Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Luggage Rack Hard Case (Read 67 times)
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Luggage Rack Hard Case
11/10/07 at 15:05:20

I'm looking for ways to add more luggage space for my savage. I already have saddle bags and I want one of those hard cases that mounts behind the rear passenger seat.

Does anyone know where I can find a luggage rack for the Suzuki Savage with a hard case that could be mounted on top of the luggage rack for extra space?

IP Logged
Mario
Ex Member

Re: Luggage Rack Hard Case
Reply #1 - 11/12/07 at 00:42:48

There is a good link in the technical postings for sissy bar laguage bracket. Smiley

IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #2 - 11/12/07 at 10:41:04

What I plan to do is find/or buy a luggage rack...make my own brackets (have them chromed) and get a hard case from J C Whitney.  Will try a motorcycle junk yard first.

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #3 - 11/12/07 at 12:03:43

I've seen a few bikes with the JC Whitney top case attached to a luggage rack.  The top case is fairly large and replaced the sissybar (with an integrated back rest).

What I noticed was the stress being placed on the luggage rack, even when empty.

The mass of the topcase alone add alot of flex and stress to the luggage rack.  On the bikes I have seen them mounted on, I noticed as much as 2" of deflection when riding over a bump at speed.   That repeated stress led to cracks and eventual failure of the luggage rack that it was attached to.

The only solution that I have found that worked was to add a pair of support brackets from the rear bottom of the rack down to the fender (since the rear fender is solidly attached to the frame).

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 11/12/07 at 19:34:59

or eliminate the rear pillion and put the rack and trunk with its loaded weight where it should be over or forward of the rear wheel. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
mau2wu
YaBB Newbies

MAU2W

Florida
Reply #5 - 11/18/07 at 16:09:42

Here is what I did.  The luggage rack is actually a motorcross Chinese part (Shineray) that I adapted to my bike.  I got it in a foreign country (South America) where almost everyone has hardcase storage on their bike.  I bolted it onto the fender in two places but only had to drill one set of holes.  The benefit of this luggage rack is that it is longer than the Suzuki one and will accomodate a hard case easily.  But then it covered up my taillight, so I installed a trailer taillight on my hardcase (see pics) so that I would have good rear visibility.  This setup has worked for me so maybe somebody out there can find something similar to do.  It is soooo nice to have lockable storage--it helps me a lot since I use my bike to commute to work and I have no worries now about rain or theft.  

Here is another one.

And the last.

06 s-40, sporster muffler, 1/2 spacer, 150 main, 52.5 pilot, black pipe wrapped in tin foil.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #6 - 11/19/07 at 18:26:08

didnt someone use a cb750 rear rack on theirs awhile ago, id like to see pics of it again.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 11/20/07 at 02:56:39

Rigidchop,
 T'was me.....  My rack would handle the stress of a hard case fairly well......

Picks of Rack
see:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Picks of lower rack (approx 1 inch) and third brake light and my back pack.
see:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Also, go to my profile and click the picture.  Then expand window size.

TMack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #8 - 11/20/07 at 05:46:00

I mounted a JC Whitney box to my luggage rack. I had to cut off the sissy bar, though, to mount the box. There simply wasn't room to mount it behind the sissy bar. So far I haven't had any problems with flexing, although I'm sure it does flex. I check the mounting bolts regularly.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #9 - 11/20/07 at 16:49:27

thanks t mack, i actually bought one of those racks after, i saw yours the first time, then i got it and thought this thing is huge, now i know what to do.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #10 - 12/09/07 at 08:47:20

I want to buy this case, but am unsure about how to mount it. It comes with a universal mounting plate.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CAT...

Does anyone know if the universal mounting plate will fit the savage? Does this mean I won't need a luggage rack?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #11 - 12/09/07 at 10:24:39

If it is like the one my B-i-L got from them, the plate is for the quick detach feature and has to be bolted to a suitable rack/platform. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
DanGill

Reply #12 - 12/12/07 at 11:59:09

That is the trunk I have. You will need a luggage rack to bolt the plate onto. If you use the standard Suzuki rack that bolts onto the sissybar bracket, you'll have to cut off the sissybar above the rack or you will have no room for the case. The sissybar slants backward and just doesn't leave enough room.

Swapped the S40 on a Shadow Spirit 1100
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #13 - 12/15/07 at 21:04:08

Thanks a lot guys...i ordered the JC whitney case with suzuki rack (christman present for myself). I'll figure out a way to mount it...without cutting anything. I'll post pics when I'm done. THANKS AGAIN!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:29:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Luggage Rack Hard Case

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.