Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why won't my MAC exhaust fit?? (Read 25 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Why won't my MAC exhaust fit??
Reply #15 - 11/10/07 at 15:42:36

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
NO,NO. No need. The factory gasket on my '07 was a rather thick grey one, and therefore it's a spacer too. The gasket needs to be inside your Mac , flush with the front (not deep inside) and covering the slits. That's also where the clamp goes. But install gasket on headerpipe FIRST than slip on the Mac. Make sure the mac is against the stop-ring on the headerpipe Smiley And yes if the gasket/spacer is deeper inside your Mac, you will pinch it like in your pics Smiley

I understand what you're saying and that's the way that I did it in the first place.  the gasket that I ahve a a solid copper ring.  This way did NOT work.  There is too much space between the muffler and the gasket.  Even with the gasket in place there is still no need to bend the tabs outward because there is still a lot of space.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #16 - 11/10/07 at 16:38:35

My stock gasket is a thick soft paper/cloth? material that when handled gets your finger all grey, like it has lead in it. Did you get your bike new? If not, some previous owner might have used that copper ring. You could wrap that ring with aluminum tape till you have the proper thickness. In other words, where the Mac almost goes on with a little friction. Wish you luck. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 11/10/07 at 19:55:51

Thanks.  There was a gasket similar to what you mentioned on the exhaust when I took the stock muffler off.  It was damaged in the process so I went to order one from the Suzuki dealer.  The one that I wanted was superceeded by a new part number and that was the one that was ordered.  He said that I could not get the original one.  I also looked at RonAyers.com and they had a new part number as well.

What aluminum tape are you referring to?  I am going to call Dennins Kirk's technical support on Monday but until then I'd like to try whatever I can.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #18 - 11/10/07 at 21:49:35

ive used aluminum cans and even plumbers staping in similar cases along with a good dose of rtv..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #19 - 11/11/07 at 13:26:14

There are two types of gaskets:  one is copper jacketed and the other is just an impregnated fiber type.  The copper type will not deform easily enough to work well with the MAC.  The fiber type will.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 11/11/07 at 13:48:21

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
There are two types of gaskets:  one is copper jacketed and the other is just an impregnated fiber type.  The copper type will not deform easily enough to work well with the MAC.  The fiber type will.

How can I get the fiber type then?  It's a discontinued part.

Is the fiber type thicker than the copper type?  I don't think the deformation characteristics of the gasket have much to do with compatibility.  It's the thickness that I need.  Something to take up more space

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 11/11/07 at 14:00:55

toddlamp8 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
How can I get the fiber type then?  It's a discontinued part.

Is the fiber type thicker than the copper type?  I don't think the deformation characteristics of the gasket have much to do with compatibility.  It's the thickness that I need.  Something to take up more space

Seems line RonAyers had both types.  They were about the same dimensions.  I actually had to shave mine down a bit to get the MAC on properly.  Now that it's on and never leaks.  I don't take it off.  I remove header and muffler as a single unit these days.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 11/12/07 at 16:27:14

Which MAC pipe did you order?  If you're using the MAC pipe with the copper gasket than something is wrong with the one I have.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #23 - 11/12/07 at 16:39:16

There's only one Mac muffler for the S(avage)40. The gasket used should be the origional fiber type. My Mac didn't come with any gasket, I managed to pry out the fiber one and re-use it. Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #24 - 11/12/07 at 19:41:11

My MAC didn't come with a gasket either.  I went to buy the fiber one but it has been superceeded by the new copper gasket so I couldn't get it.  My original gasket was hacked up when I took the stock muffler on.

Anyway... After some aluminum tape and a heaping amount of Muffler Mender, it's on.  It sounds GLORIOUS!  It was worth the trouble.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:13:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why won't my MAC exhaust fit??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.