Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why won't my MAC exhaust fit?? (Read 25 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Why won't my MAC exhaust fit??
11/09/07 at 21:39:37

I ordered a MAC slip-on exhaust from Dennis Kirk thinking it was going to be an easy install since it's made for the bike right? Wrong, I am having nothing but trouble!  There are no instructions (not that I thought I would need them) and while the pipe fits, it appears that the openning is WAY to big (even with the copper gasket) and so when I tighten the POS clamp that was included, the metal starts to fold and I end up with this:

What is going on?

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Why won't my MAC exhaust fit??
Reply #1 - 11/10/07 at 03:46:58

It looks like the MAC is 1/8" too big.  What size does it say it is?  You can get reducers called muffler spacers or muffler adapters I forget which...anyway I think they come in 1 3/4", 1 5/8", and 1 1/2"...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #2 - 11/10/07 at 05:34:41

Maybe the MAC should use the gasket that goes between the stock exhaust and header pipe?  That would account for about 1/8 inch.

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 11/10/07 at 07:44:39

It is using the stock gasket.  That's what the circular part is in the center.  I w ill be calling dennis kirk today.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 11/10/07 at 09:35:51

Not really familiar with the Mac, but isn't there some slots in that flared end?

Seems like that would allow the pipe to tighten up...

...might be looking at it wrong too...???

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 11/10/07 at 10:09:44

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Not really familiar with the Mac, but isn't there some slots in that flared end?

Seems like that would allow the pipe to tighten up...

...might be looking at it wrong too...???

There was one ~1/2" slot.  I cut 2 more thinking that would help but obviously it didn't.  It's pretty loose on there even with it clamped down all the way.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 11/10/07 at 10:26:11

Was that muffler for the savage? If it was i would call them and tell them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #7 - 11/10/07 at 10:46:13

Toddlamp8.Don't panick I'm busy but I'll be back on line to explain what you're doing wrong in 20 minutues.

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 11/10/07 at 11:01:18

It's been 30 mins  Wink

Please tell me what i'm doing wrong because I feel like I have tryed everything I can.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #9 - 11/10/07 at 11:17:00

Oke, First take that wrinkle out off the Mac. Clamp a dowel (like a broomstick) in a vice and slide Mac on to it. Lightly tap out wrinkle. Now create 2 more slits with a hacksaw ( I think you already did this)so that you have a total of 4 slits. ( at 90,180,270,360 degrees).
You shouls have 4 tabs on the Mac where it slips onto the headerpipe.Bend these tabs out very slightly for ease of slipping it on to the header. Put clamp on Mac (very loose). Now take the factory gasket (((which on your picture is WAY deep (wrong)) into your Mac))) and slip it on the HEADERPIPE  till the STOP (Big ridge). Slip on MAC over gasket till the same STOP. DO NOT SLIDE MAC OVER THIS STOP! You should be able to see the gasket trough the slits. If the gasket doesn't cover the slits all the way use a LITTLE high temp sealer. Slide clamp forward over slits and tighten. The clamp should be clamped over the slits with the gasket underneath, since this gasket is also your  SPACER.  Make sure the most rear muffler bolt (where it bolts onto the carrier)has the supplied spacer to raise the mac up a bit. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 11/10/07 at 11:28:25

Thanks for the write-up but I tried that already.  In fact that was how I initially did it.  The only thing I haven't done was to put a 4th slit into the exhaust.  I didn't even have to bend out the tabs to get it on.  It went on very easily, too easily.

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 11/10/07 at 11:29:43

I think tonight I will put a bunch of slits in it and try again.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 11/10/07 at 11:34:01

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Oke, First take that wrinkle out off the Mac. Clamp a dowel (like a broomstick) in a vice and slide Mac on to it. Lightly tap out wrinkle. Now create 2 more slits with a hacksaw ( I think you already did this)so that you have a total of 4 slits. ( at 90,180,270,360 degrees).
You shouls have 4 tabs on the Mac where it slips onto the headerpipe.Bend these tabs out very slightly for ease of slipping it on to the header. Put clamp on Mac (very loose). Now take the factory gasket (((which on your picture is WAY deep (wrong)) into your Mac))) and slip it on the HEADERPIPE  till the STOP (Big ridge). Slip on MAC over gasket till the same STOP. DO NOT SLIDE MAC OVER THIS STOP! You should be able to see the gasket trough the slits. If the gasket doesn't cover the slits all the way use a LITTLE high temp sealer. Slide clamp forward over slits and tighten. The clamp should be clamped over the slits with the gasket underneath, since this gasket is also your  SPACER.  Make sure the most rear muffler bolt (where it bolts onto the carrier)has the supplied spacer to raise the mac up a bit. Wink
I would appreciate it if you copy this into the TECH section so I can find it next year.

WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #13 - 11/10/07 at 11:39:22

NO,NO. No need. The factory gasket on my '07 was a rather thick grey one, and therefore it's a spacer too. The gasket needs to be inside your Mac , flush with the front (not deep inside) and covering the slits. That's also where the clamp goes. But install gasket on headerpipe FIRST than slip on the Mac. Make sure the mac is against the stop-ring on the headerpipe Smiley And yes if the gasket/spacer is deeper inside your Mac, you will pinch it like in your pics Smiley

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #14 - 11/10/07 at 11:44:32

Paladin, consider it done Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:25:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why won't my MAC exhaust fit??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.