Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: The beginnings of REX
Reply #15 - 11/10/07 at 05:32:05

Quote:
Impressive.  Savage envy is here.  So, let's talk about it.

Now, what is the biggest reason for the extra brace? ..... THE PLATE WAS WELDED IN PLACE TO PROVIDE THE NEW BACKBONE EXTENSION A SOLID BASE TO WELD ON TO, AND IT ALSO STIFFENS THE BACK END OF THE FRAME HELPING TO ELIMINATE ANY FLEX.  ONCE THE BACKBONE EXTENSION WAS  IN PLACE THEN THE SIDE BRACES COULD BE CUTE AND MOVED BACK DOWN CLOSER TO THE BACK END, THUS MAKING ROOM ON THE BACKBONE FOR THE TANK.  THESE PROCEDURAL STEPS KEPT THE FRAME SOLIDLY IN LINE BEFORE THE SIDE BRACES WERE CUT AND REWELDED.

Why did you choose a trailing axle front fork setup?.....I WAS TRYING TO GET THE BRAKE CALIPER TO MOUNT ON THE FORKS AND STILL LINE UP WITH THE DISC ... STILL WORKING ON THIS ISSUE.  DO YOU WANT ME TO TURN IT AROUND ?

Is the rear wheel off center in photo #14, or is it just thrown in there for the photo? ...YES, OFF CENTER, ANOTHER ISSUE TO WORK ON

What size is the rear wheel?.. 16" ... STOCK SPORTY WHEELS

Where did you get that solo seat? ... SEAT CAME FROM "STRANGELING"

Are the seat springs double coils?.... SINGLE COILS, BUT I DO HAVE 3 SETS OF THEM.  2", 3" & 5" .  I SUPPOSE I COULD COMBINE THEM   Grin

Is that an LED tail light? .... YEP, GOT IT AT A TRUCK STOP ON THE WAY TO OKLAHOMA FOR $16.95 AND IT IS A BIG SUCKER TOO WITH GIANT LED'S

Is the rear brake stabilizer made by Craftsman? ... ABSOLUTELY ... GUARANTEED FOR LIFE !  Grin

Do you have a bunch of cam chains in that briefcase?  ...  NO, THAT IS WHERE I KEEP MY GOLD BRICKS.  

What does Beverly think about a motorcycle in the bedroom?  .........  SHE LIKES US TO SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE TOGETHER AND WITH THE BIKE IN THE LIVING ROOM WE ARE TOGETHER MOST OF THE TIME.  I DID IT JUST FOR HER     Grin Grin Grin
BESIDES, WHEN I GET TIRED I JUST GRAB A COUCH PILLOW AND TAKE A NAP UNDER MY BIKE ... SHE THINKS IT IS CUTE  Grin

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #16 - 11/10/07 at 07:38:44

Grin LOL Lancer!! You are a true-blue "Bike Guy" for sure! Smiley

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 11/10/07 at 09:17:45

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Now, what is the biggest reason for the extra brace? ..... THE PLATE WAS WELDED IN PLACE TO PROVIDE THE NEW BACKBONE EXTENSION A SOLID BASE TO WELD ON TO, AND IT ALSO STIFFENS THE BACK END OF THE FRAME HELPING TO ELIMINATE ANY FLEX.  ONCE THE BACKBONE EXTENSION WAS  IN PLACE THEN THE SIDE BRACES COULD BE CUTE AND MOVED BACK DOWN CLOSER TO THE BACK END, THUS MAKING ROOM ON THE BACKBONE FOR THE TANK.  THESE PROCEDURAL STEPS KEPT THE FRAME SOLIDLY IN LINE BEFORE THE SIDE BRACES WERE CUT AND REWELDED.

This is where you cut it?

Quote:
Why did you choose a trailing axle front fork setup?.....I WAS TRYING TO GET THE BRAKE CALIPER TO MOUNT ON THE FORKS AND STILL LINE UP WITH THE DISC ... STILL WORKING ON THIS ISSUE.  DO YOU WANT ME TO TURN IT AROUND ?

I just thought that trailing axle was more stable ???

Quote:
Where did you get that solo seat? ... SEAT CAME FROM "STRANGELING"

Envy

Quote:
Are the seat springs double coils?.... SINGLE COILS, BUT I DO HAVE 3 SETS OF THEM.  2", 3" & 5" .  I SUPPOSE I COULD COMBINE THEM   Grin

I must have looked at it wrong.

Quote:
Is that an LED tail light? .... YEP, GOT IT AT A TRUCK STOP ON THE WAY TO OKLAHOMA FOR $16.95 AND IT IS A BIG SUCKER TOO WITH GIANT LED'S

Will you have to balance it with the electrical system?

Quote:
Is the rear brake stabilizer made by Craftsman? ... ABSOLUTELY ... GUARANTEED FOR LIFE !  Grin

I've got the same stabilizer.

Quote:
Do you have a bunch of cam chains in that briefcase?  ...  NO, THAT IS WHERE I KEEP MY GOLD BRICKS.

I hope that you keep it handcuffed to the bike.

Quote:
What does Beverly think about a motorcycle in the bedroom?  .........  SHE LIKES US TO SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS POSSIBLE TOGETHER AND WITH THE BIKE IN THE LIVING ROOM WE ARE TOGETHER MOST OF THE TIME.  I DID IT JUST FOR HER     Grin Grin Grin
BESIDES, WHEN I GET TIRED I JUST GRAB A COUCH PILLOW AND TAKE A NAP UNDER MY BIKE ... SHE THINKS IT IS CUTE  Grin

Another wonderful Savage woman for sure Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 11/10/07 at 09:19:18

Oh yeah...is this gonna be a chain conversion too?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 11/10/07 at 12:15:35

This is where you cut it?   *** IT WAS CUT THERE AND SHORTENED, AND CUT AT THE JUNCTION WITH THE BACKBONE AND REWELDED ON THE NEW BACKBONE EXTENSION.

Another wonderful Savage woman for sure Grin ***  OH YEA, ONE IN A BILLION !  Grin

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 11/10/07 at 12:17:31

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Oh yeah...is this gonna be a chain conversion too?

Yes, chain is required since the Suzuki/HD belts and pulley's are not interchangeable/usable.

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #21 - 11/10/07 at 18:21:30

Hey Lancer,

Whats the deal on the air/fuel ratio gauge thingy in your pics ?

Glenn

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 11/10/07 at 18:54:39

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Hey Lancer,

Whats the deal on the air/fuel ratio gauge thingy in your pics ?

Glenn

It is going to be incorporated into the new exhaust system for this build so that I can get the jetting more exact.  It is more toys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 11/24/07 at 05:48:35

Oh yeah, I wondered about the location of your starter relay.  Will it be moving somewhere?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 11/24/07 at 14:22:43

I have not settled on the exact locations of the electrical components or battery.    I have considered going under the frame and with the 12.5" Progressive shocks on the rear and the Ceriani forks on the front I think there would be enough room under it for the battery.
We shall see.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #25 - 11/24/07 at 16:49:52

are you gonna have enough room for an air filter? i was looking at mine this evening, and it doesn't look like there is any room after your backbone mod.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 11/24/07 at 17:04:35

rigidchop wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
are you gonna have enough room for an air filter? i was looking at mine this evening, and it doesn't look like there is any room after your backbone mod.

No problem, the battery will not be there to interfer and if necessary the filter and/or carb can be angled to provide the needed space.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #27 - 11/25/07 at 08:54:35

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Lancer
Nice one, keep it up.
Clive W  Cheesy

Hey Clive, nice two-stroke!   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #28 - 11/25/07 at 08:58:35

Lancer, maybe REX should be a two-stroke... Undecided

Of course, to maintain the oil sump and not have to mix oil in the gas, you'd need to completely change the cam and add a roots-type blower... Undecided

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 11/25/07 at 14:08:26

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
No problem, the battery will not be there to interfer and if necessary the filter and/or carb can be angled to provide the needed space.

By the way, I used to have a 6" long and 4" diameter cyl shaped filter with a 20 degree angled flange that fit even with the battery in place.  It was tight all the way around but it did fit.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:19:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The beginnings of REX

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.