Send Topic Print
How Bizarre? (Read 148 times)
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: How Bizarre?
Reply #30 - 11/11/07 at 04:59:00

The carb is insulated from most of the conducted heat by the rubber manifold.  

The greatest risk of icing is at lowish temperatures (below 15C) and high humidity.  Whatever you may think, carb icing can affect motorcycles.  It isn't a common problem but is DOES happen.  Thats why some bikes have heating built into their carbs.  

It can cause just the kinds of symptoms reported in this thread.  The bike will run rough and may stall. It may refuse to start again but if left long enough the slowly conducted heat will eventually melt the ice and the bike runs fine again.  At least two of the people reporting problems in this thread were running their bikes at ambient temps pretty close to 0C / 32F and had no other obvious explanation for the bike's behaviour.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 11/11/07 at 05:07:58

The big thing here is this problem is just the same as the Topic titled "Fair Weather Bike".

This time of year, all kinds of posts pop up where so many think their own bike is doing something strange and unique...

"It was running fine a month ago..."

The problem is in our understanding of an air cooled motorcycle engine.  Gotta forget everything you know about the Honda Accord in your driveway.  This is a Thumper and if it doesn't run right, then CHOKE IT Tongue

(And of course, no one reads anyone else's topics.  This is gonna be another "Never Heard Of...")

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #32 - 11/11/07 at 05:17:23

DrT wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
The carb is insulated from most of the conducted heat by the rubber manifold.  

The greatest risk of icing is at lowish temperatures (below 15C) and high humidity.  Whatever you may think, carb icing can affect motorcycles.  It isn't a common problem but is DOES happen.  Thats why some bikes have heating built into their carbs.  

It can cause just the kinds of symptoms reported in this thread.  The bike will run rough and may stall. It may refuse to start again but if left long enough the slowly conducted heat will eventually melt the ice and the bike runs fine again.  At least two of the people reporting problems in this thread were running their bikes at ambient temps pretty close to 0C / 32F and had no other obvious explanation for the bike's behaviour.

Let's not over think this.  

We have Perry up in Canada (who used to have a Savage), and he never wrote about this problem.  That's because he knows what to do in cold weather.

People run all kinds of leaf blowers, snow blowers, chain saws and you name it, but if you go down to True Value Hardware, you won't find a single de-icing kit for Briggs and Stratton.

Forget theoretical.  Pull the choke and ride.

IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 11/11/07 at 06:19:02

I suspect that a pin hole might have developed due to deterioration of the vacuum line - but there is another possiblity.

The tank cap is vented - if that cap vent somehow became clogged - the full would not flow down to the carb and the bike would initially run rough and eventually die.

I have never heard of this happenning until last summer when it developed on an RV that I share with my brother. The engine would start, run for 2 second and die - and stay dea - release the gas cap and it would run and stay running

Anyway - just a thought but trying to loosen the gas cap for a second might just be a solution

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #34 - 07/08/08 at 20:45:12

Savage_Greg wrote on 11/11/07 at 05:17:23:
People run all kinds of leaf blowers, snow blowers, chain saws and you name it, but if you go down to True Value Hardware, you won't find a single de-icing kit for Briggs and Stratton.

Forget theoretical.  Pull the choke and ride.

Carb icing is an acknowledged problem on Honda ST1100s.  I've had it happen to me a few times.

Never had a carb icing problem with my Savage, though.  I ride it in all kinds of weather, all year round.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #35 - 07/08/08 at 23:59:49

OK, since we're talking about this; I've had a similar problem as well on a couple of occasions. My bike is a new '08. Each time, my tank was half, or less, full. My question is, could it be due to humidity changes, coupled with temp changes, coupled with the tank filler cap being vented(?), for lack on my part of a better term. I mean, the fuel is hydroscopic. It attracts water, right? This has always occured for me when I've parked it overnight with a less than full tank of gas, and righted itself upon fillup. Filling up the tank would have diluted the watered down gas, reducing or eliminating the problem, right? Or am I totally off the mark. Vacuum leaks would be consistant, I would assume (uh oh). Trash in the tank would declare itself within a realatively short while after each, or nearly each, fillup; but if the problem is only presenting itself with the conditions I described above, then it stands to reason it would be polluted fuel. I readily admit to not being the brightest bulb on the tree, and carburators are not my forte'; however, in trying not to over-think this, it seems reasonable. Please advise. Thanks.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:23:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How Bizarre?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.