How Bizarre? (Read 148 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: How Bizarre?
Reply #15 - 11/08/07 at 13:27:52

Not running rich, not since I swapped to the cone filter..

I pulled the vaccuum line off the carb, plugged one end and pumped compressed air into the hose at the other.  It expanded slightly and revealed a number of small cracks in the rubber walls of the hose.  A few of which, were leaking air.

I had a length of fuel line of the same inside diameter, but with a thicker outside diameter (thicker walls).  It will not fit in the spring cage, but the thicker rubber should be able to stand up to the temps a little better.

Since the swap, no further problems.  I logged another 150 miles today (in 29* weather) with nary a hiccuup.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 11/08/07 at 16:16:31

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Not running rich, not since I swapped to the cone filter..

I pulled the vaccuum line off the carb, plugged one end and pumped compressed air into the hose at the other.  It expanded slightly and revealed a number of small cracks in the rubber walls of the hose.  A few of which, were leaking air.

I had a length of fuel line of the same inside diameter, but with a thicker outside diameter (thicker walls).  It will not fit in the spring cage, but the thicker rubber should be able to stand up to the temps a little better.

Since the swap, no further problems.  I logged another 150 miles today (in 29* weather) with nary a hiccuup.

Since you inflated it, a bucket of water would have revealed actual leaks Smiley

Glad that your 150 miles was uneventful.  What was your average speed?

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #17 - 11/08/07 at 18:06:56

It was mostly highway, around 55 to 60mph (not breaking any landspeed records).  The in-town (about 10%) was 25-35mph.  It was a bit warmer today than yesterday, especially in the afternoon.  But the morning was chilly..

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 11/08/07 at 18:34:47

Every mine quit was about 10 into a 25 mile commute, going uphill at about 65 to 70 mph.  In the afternoon so 70 to 80°F  I've noted that there has been a few others with the same situation, ran out of gas going uphill.

WWW   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #19 - 11/08/07 at 21:08:46

Like skrapiron, I replaced my vacuum line with a piece of fuel line.  I had been having full-throttle stalls (not comfortable on the freeway).  I haven't had a problem since the replacement.  My bike is a 2003, and I didn't think the vacuum line should have been bad already.  It apparently was.  The original owner bought it from a dealer in Maine, and I imagine cold storage during long Maine winters w/no warmups didn't do the rubber any good.  I also replaced the silly circlips or whatever they are with real hose clamps out of necessity (tight fit).  I love the bike, but I have to say Suzuki screwed up with the petc0rk design.  I consider it a safety issue to suddenly run out of fuel in traffic when your gas tank is not empty because of a faulty vacuum hose.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 11/09/07 at 05:06:15

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Every mine quit was about 10 into a 25 mile commute, going uphill at about 65 to 70 mph.  In the afternoon so 70 to 80°F  I've noted that there has been a few others with the same situation, ran out of gas going uphill.

I'd bet on your float adjustment, myself.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 11/09/07 at 05:09:00

J Mac wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Like skrapiron, I replaced my vacuum line with a piece of fuel line.  I had been having full-throttle stalls (not comfortable on the freeway).  I haven't had a problem since the replacement.  My bike is a 2003, and I didn't think the vacuum line should have been bad already.  It apparently was.  The original owner bought it from a dealer in Maine, and I imagine cold storage during long Maine winters w/no warmups didn't do the rubber any good.  I also replaced the silly circlips or whatever they are with real hose clamps out of necessity (tight fit).  I love the bike, but I have to say Suzuki screwed up with the petc0rk design.  I consider it a safety issue to suddenly run out of fuel in traffic when your gas tank is not empty because of a faulty vacuum hose.

2000, single owner, new hose after 7 years, same hose clamps ("circlips") and never a problem.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #22 - 11/09/07 at 06:03:45

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Anyone notice my "Ya know..." comment above?
When you were riding at lunch, it wasn't as cold as in the evening.  There are also 2 settings for the choke and sometimes if the engine (efficiently air cooled, too) is running slow in cold air you still need to use the 1st choke position anyway.  In other words, the choke isn't always just for starting the bike.  It is for when the engine is cold.  Anytime it is cold!  You have to be the control module.
BTW - it is more comfortable if you straddle the seat instead of the tank Tongue

Yes, I know it's all manual, and I drive a manual transmission car, have a lawn mower that requires manual help, and learned how to drive on a tractor.
But I did not think to pull the choke out to the second setting, so thank you for that tip!

And I will try to remember to stop straddling the tank...although my inner thighs touch it which is dang cold in the morning!  Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 11/09/07 at 06:36:49

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Yes, I know it's all manual, and I drive a manual transmission car, have a lawn mower that requires manual help, and learned how to drive on a tractor.

But have you ever driven a car with a choke knob on the dash?
Quote:
But I did not think to pull the choke out to the second setting, so thank you for that tip!

First setting, not second.
Quote:
And I will try to remember to stop straddling the tank...although my inner thighs touch it which is dang cold in the morning!  Grin

What a tease Tongue

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #24 - 11/09/07 at 07:32:01

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
But have you ever driven a car with a choke knob on the dash?
First setting, not second.
What a tease Tongue

Ummm, yes actually. An antique 1930's car for a parade, it was sweet!
My first, your second, I knew what it meant!  Wink
I'm thinking about strapping a hot water bottle on each side of the tank for those cold days.  8)

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 11/09/07 at 07:41:33

Good idea in the summer you can put ice cubes in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 11/09/07 at 07:46:10

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Ummm, yes actually. An antique 1930's car for a parade, it was sweet!

Not a daily ride, but you got the idea.
Quote:
My first, your second, I knew what it meant!  Wink

My first, your first Tongue
Quote:
I'm thinking about strapping a hot water bottle on each side of the tank for those cold days.  8)

Now you're beginning to sound like Stinger Tongue

IP Logged
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 11/10/07 at 02:14:25

Those people experiencing rough running and stalling when the air temperature is low should consider carb icing as a possible reason.  This is particularly likely if the atmosphere is also fairly humid.

"Carb icing occurs when there is humid air, and the temperature drop in the venturi causes the water vapour to freeze. The ice will form on the surfaces of the carburetor throat, further restricting it. This may increase the venturi effect initially, but eventually restricts airflow, perhaps even causing a complete blockage of the carburetor. Icing may also cause jamming of the mechanical parts of the carburetor, such as the throttle butterfly valve."

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 11/10/07 at 09:32:43

DrT wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Those people experiencing rough running and stalling when the air temperature is low should consider carb icing as a possible reason.  This is particularly likely if the atmosphere is also fairly humid.

"Carb icing occurs when there is humid air, and the temperature drop in the venturi causes the water vapour to freeze. The ice will form on the surfaces of the carburetor throat, further restricting it. This may increase the venturi effect initially, but eventually restricts airflow, perhaps even causing a complete blockage of the carburetor. Icing may also cause jamming of the mechanical parts of the carburetor, such as the throttle butterfly valve."

I periodically stop and use a lighter to melt the ice Tongue

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #29 - 11/10/07 at 13:00:36

Carb icing can occur at all temps even and very likely in summer. It usually only happens at low power or throttle closed. Rare at WOT (wide open throttle) or more than half throttle. Our carbs get warmed by the airflow of the cylinder so carb ice will be extremely rare unlike carburated airplanes where we use carb-heat which is heated air taken from around the exhaust system and dumped into the carb intake. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:15:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How Bizarre?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.