Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
My Chain Conversion - first impression  ! (Read 104 times)
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
My Chain Conversion - first impression  !
11/07/07 at 13:47:53

Ok so after thinking about doing the chain conversion for about 6 months I finally went ahead and did it.

My first impression - "Luv it"

I went with the 17/45 set-up and I have a Hard Krome muffler POD filter and 150 main jet.

I live in SLC and most of my riding is either freeway or flat straight city roads and I rarely get stuck in long traffic delays. So based on my style riding I find the 17/45 absolutely perfect. The bike still pulls strong from all gears and honestly it is just as fun around the city streets as it always has been. The freeway is fantastic sitting on 70-75 (I'm guessing due to the speedo error) as the bike feels like its just cruising now rather than pushing itself.

I haven't got to test it out in the winding canyons yet so I can't report on that but for my everyday riding I am so glad I finally made the conversion.

So if you were like me and have been thinking about doing the conversion then I say just do it, you won't regret it !

Glenn

PS I have a 16 tooth front sprocket I won't be needing if anyone is interested $10 including shipping within USA.

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: My Chain Conversion - first thoughts !
Reply #1 - 11/07/07 at 14:20:25

Sounds like you are having fun with the chain upgrade.

I WILL TAKE YOU UP ON THE SPROCKET.  Send me a PM with the email address you want for a paypal or if you prefer a MO then I'll need your mailing address.

IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #2 - 11/07/07 at 15:14:23

I like my chainy-chain convert too...

Can I ask you all a question?  Is it just me, or should the speedo not read any differently at all?  It reads off the transmission, not the wheel...shouldn't it still be accurate?

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 11/07/07 at 15:26:04

No, not accurate for actual speed, but yes, accurate for speed of the output shaft of the transmission.

What does this mean?  At the same speedo reading in a given gear, the engine WILL be turning at the same RPM.  Actual speed will be different by the percent change of the gear ratio.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #4 - 11/07/07 at 15:29:54

Yes and No
You now turning lower engine rpm for the same speed= lower indicated speed. I just mounted a Sigma on the bike. It takes its reading from the front wheel (circonferance).                                                            
Also gives me average,max speed etc. Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #5 - 11/07/07 at 16:14:11

Hey Vtail how do you like that Sigma ?
I was thinking of getting one as well.
Where did you mount the magnets on your wheel ?
I don't have a front fender and wasn't sure where I would be able to mount it !

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #6 - 11/07/07 at 16:15:25

So how do I work out my speed with the 17/45 ?

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Re: My Chain Conversion - first impression  !
Reply #7 - 11/07/07 at 16:49:08

Right there with L shaped aluminum bracket. Notice tiny eartmagnet (2 stacked) from Radio shack. These are so powerful that they've stayed on the last 3500 miles without glue. Love the sigma which is just velcro'd to upper tripple-clamp. Smiley Also check Trip meter ideas in the tech section, page 2 Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #8 - 11/07/07 at 17:11:44

Stock ratio = 2.94. Your ratio 45:17=2.65.
2.94/2.65= 1.11. So 60 mph indicated is now 60x1.11=67 mph. So watch out. your speedo now indicates too low. For simplicity; 40=44, 55=55, 60=66, 70=77, 80=88 etc etc. Just get a Sigma for super-accurate speed readings Smiley

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #9 - 11/07/07 at 17:41:18

Hey thanks Vtail that helps me out a lot.

Just picked up a Sigma 506 on Ebay for $12.

Now next thing to remove the speedo on the tank and fill in the gap or maybe mount a tach  in its place   ???

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 11/08/07 at 05:09:23

Not sure the difference in my reading and the calculation, but I suppose that a couple of different size tires on 2 different bikes might produce a variation...

I asked the spouse to lead us and keep her speedo on the speed limit.  With the 45/17, my speed indicated ~35 when she was doing 40 MPH.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #11 - 11/08/07 at 05:51:05

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Ok so after thinking about doing the chain conversion for about 6 months I finally went ahead and did it.

My first impression - "Luv it"

I went with the 17/45 set-up and I have a Hard Krome muffler POD filter and 150 main jet.

I live in SLC and most of my riding is either freeway or flat straight city roads and I rarely get stuck in long traffic delays. So based on my style riding I find the 17/45 absolutely perfect. The bike still pulls strong from all gears and honestly it is just as fun around the city streets as it always has been. The freeway is fantastic sitting on 70-75 (I'm guessing due to the speedo error) as the bike feels like its just cruising now rather than pushing itself.

I haven't got to test it out in the winding canyons yet so I can't report on that but for my everyday riding I am so glad I finally made the conversion.

So if you were like me and have been thinking about doing the conversion then I say just do it, you won't regret it !

Glenn

PS I have a 16 tooth front sprocket I won't be needing if anyone is interested $10 including shipping within USA.

Glad to see we have another happy convert.    Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #12 - 11/08/07 at 11:12:35

Hutch should get some kind of "royalty" for every conversion!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #13 - 11/09/07 at 05:41:23

Gary On A Savage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Hutch should get some kind of "royalty" for every conversion!
My royalty is taken care of everytime I see another person convert to chain, and post a positive feedback.          Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #14 - 11/09/07 at 17:36:36

Well I have had a few days riding now and man this is freakin awesome, by far the best mod that you could do on this bike.  I loved this bike before but now I can't even tell you how much joy I get out of riding it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:25:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Chain Conversion - first impression  !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.