Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No more backfire!! Thanks to you. (Read 32 times)
T140V
Ex Member

No more backfire!! Thanks to you.
11/06/07 at 20:28:27

I would like to thank all of you that have posted useful information on getting rid of the backfire on my wife's S40. I pulled out the spacer on the needle then pulled the brass plug over the air idle jet {apparently 1/8Th turn in gave the highest idle}and slightly backed off the idle screw.

WOW!!  What a difference that simple task made. Well it really wasn't that simple. All the screws I had to back out were extremely tight and I chewed up 3 of them pretty bad. I had to use an impact driver to get three more of them out and had to use a cold chisel to loosen one other. I went down to the hardware store and bought new ones only this time I used Allen head cap screws in the slide valve and hex head bolts on the diaphragm cover to make it easier next time I pull it apart.

Having this forum saved me all kinds of time and probably a bit of money. If any of you haven't taken the time to do the mod well,, your missing the boat. After the mod That bike behaves itself. No more bucking and surging down the road. It's like a totally different bike.

It used to bother me how bad that bike would run. Now I can say it actually is a pleasure to ride. It's nice and smooth and the backfiring is almost non existent. Once in a while I can faintly hear a POOOSH! come out the exhaust and that's it.

Again thanks to all who post here and your positive feedback.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: No more backfire!! Thanks to you.
Reply #1 - 11/07/07 at 07:17:36

Like your Triumph too Grin

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #2 - 11/07/07 at 08:31:20

I'm with you. Remove that white spacer alltogether and with a less restricted muffler just change the jet (jets). Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #3 - 11/07/07 at 08:36:23

Hey, that`s the Bonnie America, right? How do you like it? Are you tempted to chop it?

B

IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/08/07 at 01:31:47

Hell, Billy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Hey, that`s the Bonnie America, right? How do you like it? Are you tempted to chop it?

B

Yes it is and it's another bike you have to fix the carb on to make it run right. No I won't chop it but I do like to make mods here and there. I made the mistake of letting my wife ride the Bonnie and now she likes it better than the S40. That was the reason I wanted to fix the carb. I now ride her bike when we go for a cruize wich is OK because I like both bikes. The S40 is much more nimble in tight twisties but the Triumph is still my main ride. We have 4 running bikes and 2 almost completed projects. It's going to be a nice feeling trying to pick out what ride to take for the day. Nothing fancy just fun bike's. Thanks Savage Greg.Smiley

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #5 - 11/08/07 at 21:42:13

I kind of like the backfire.  I figure my 2003 bike runs OK.  It doesn't perform like my 4 cyl 1993 GSX1100G did, but I didn't expect it to.  I confess that I do miss the ridiculous instantaneous power in nearly any gear that the GSX provided, but this memory is a relic of my youth.  I'm not the type to re-engineer a stock bike, because I figure I know nothing compared to the design engineers.  But, if you can pull it off, more power to you.  This forum seems to be all about mods, and maybe I'll get on the bandwagon someday.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
T140V
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/10/07 at 06:59:13

I might add the engine used to make a rattling sound when ever you accelerated. Removing that  plastic spacer has all but eliminated that sound. It's so much more quiet now and doesn't sound like it will wear out as fast. when you open your carb you can tell that spacer was an after thought and it shouldn't be there. It only takes about an hour to do and is very well worth it. Smiley If you decide to remove the spacer I will tell you I chewed up the two screws that hold the plate over the needle. I ended up using an impact driver to get them out. I used a 1/4" drive adapter and a 3' extention attached to a socket which held a screw driver bit. I put the bit on the screw head turned the sleeve up side down and tapped the impact driver on the floor being careful to guide the extention with my fingers so as not to ding the inside of the sleeve valve. The screws came loose with just a slight tap then were easily extracted. If I had done that to begin with I might have reused the screws.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #7 - 11/10/07 at 13:03:55

RIGHT ON. Grin

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:22:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No more backfire!! Thanks to you.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.