Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Too thick EMCO/EBC front brake pads (Read 9 times)
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Too thick EMCO/EBC front brake pads
11/06/07 at 14:47:31

Somebody remind me of the EMCO (or was it EBC?) pad part number that was the same size as ours but were too thick to actually go on the bike.   Came off a 4 wheeler?

Seems like they cost the same price but had a lot of extra meat on them.

Somebody mentioned a trick about phasing them in one-at-a-time once you had some wear on the mating pad (total available adjustment space was right) -- that way you got to use all the goodie off the much thicker pads.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Too thick EMCO front brake pads
Reply #1 - 11/06/07 at 15:07:14

I think it EBC's they were refering to.

FA106 is the p/n for the savage

There are a number of suffixes.

Don't use the '/A', those are the thicker pads.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Too thick EMCO/EBC front brake pads
Reply #2 - 11/06/07 at 17:05:47

Ah, but I'm a looking me the way "too thick" pads -- on purpose of course.

Here's what I found out so far.  

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/Assets/USA2006MCcat.pdf

Go here, let the .PDF load completely then scroll about 35% down the scroll bar until you see pictoral drawings of the individual brake pads.

Find the FA 106 drawing and you will see that the FA 106/2 is the 2.5mm thicker pad that was all the rage back in 1987 and there-abouts on dirt bikes.

That's a combined 5mm too thick (about .2" too thick) to fit on a stock Suzuki 650.   That's not too far off twice as much brake pad material available for some real extended use life.

Now WHICH brake pad material would be the ideal for this trick?   Kevlar would be nice and that would be an "X" grade according to the .PDF information on grade designations.   Description given is "cool running, low disk abrasion and quiet".   My, my, wouldn't that be nice for our sqeeky old front disks?

Problem is dirt bikes generally ran R (sintered metal) compounds (good service in mud and dirt).  I mean, they was dirt bikes, right?  

R sintered sounds sorta sqeeky gritty to me, don't you agree?

Shame you can't find that Kevlar X grade anywhere on the thicker dirt bike style /2 pads.   My, that would be nice -- nearly twice the life and all quiet too.

Only thing that could be sweeter would be to catch them on sale, of course.

Now that would be just "toute sweet" as the frenchies would say.

Where is them ebay crazy dot com places when you really need them to find you something that's 1987 obsolete and wasn't ever made that way in the first place?

<grin>

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 11/07/07 at 02:24:51

Good, my order processed.  Here is where you can buy some "too thick to mount" Kelvlar class X pads on sale, if you are quick, anyway -- only two sets left.

http://www.amazon.com/BRAKE-PAD-CARBON-FA106-EBC
/dp/B000WP92KC/ref=sr_1_51/104-5138851-8285531?ie
=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1194394969&sr=1-51

(sorry for the forever address being broken in pieces)

Now, why would someone want to do this?  

I got a 2-3 year back tire, getting ready to mount a 2-3 year front tire and I want to try to get to a 2-3 year set of brake pads if I can swing it.  That way I ride trouble free except for adjusting the valves every year and changing the oil and replacing the oil filter several times a year.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 11/08/07 at 14:01:06

But if they're too thick to mount, it doesn't seem like your 2-3 yr bike will make it out of the driveway.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 11/09/07 at 03:45:29

"Too thick to mount" is a relative statement.  

The caliper puck moves back further into the caliper puck face a bit further than we generally use when mounting standard pads.  Step 1 (when the time comes) will be to see exactly how much additional room is needed once a pair of too thick pads get put in place with the puck moved all the way back to the "seal is sub-flush" maximum.

2 places that can then "give some" are the legs of the caliper clamp (far side from puck assembly) and shallow grooves cut into the back of the steel pad plate (where the legs would go).  

Or if everything else fails, a system of intentionally swapping the pads in one at a time can be developed that requires no machining.

The point is that pads wear out too fast because there isn't enough pad material on them.  This is an attempt to find increased pad life using a material that doesn't squeak.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:19:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Too thick EMCO/EBC front brake pads

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.