Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I need expert comparison. Please help (Read 9 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: I need expert comparison. Please help
Reply #15 - 11/08/07 at 05:56:50

Cheesy That's the one I had! Cheesy  My first car.  The little 240 cid Hemi V8.  2 speed auto coupled with a 2 speed stick.  9-year-old dark blue four door, front end damage, affectionally named The Galloping Warthog.

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #16 - 11/08/07 at 07:39:35

shaliloglu wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Thanks all for the advise.
I found the seat gets very uncomfy after about an hours ride. Another issue is the SV not really geared for a passenger.  now thinking maybe LS may not be the best entry level cruiser for that either.?
Maybe others can chime in with more..

I don't know of too many people out of those on this list who have NOT done the seat mod for better long distance comfort.

The LS is great for passengers. I carry a bear on mine with no trouble at all (will eventually post photo).  Wink

The best entry level cruiser is the one that fits you the best.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Capt._Ron
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/08/07 at 13:54:35

OK kids, I have to jump in here and subject myself to whatever ridicule you might wish to impart due to my newbieness.
Like the originator of this thread, I am looking for a bike that can take myself and the wifey for long weekend rides and occassionally 300-500 mile trips. I can adjust on the comfort issue. The bottom line questions for me are:
1.  Does the LS650/S40/Savage have the guts (power) to haul 400-500 pounds of people and gear and still travel highway speeds? I live on the coastal plains of Texas so hills are not much of an issue.
2.  Is it reliable enough to last moving those kinds of loads. I have read an awful lot about the dreaded cam chain failures and this concerns me greatly. I currently ride a GZ250 and am a member of that forum. I have seen no mention of cam tensioner issues for that engine.
Funds are limited, especially this time of year,I can't afford to make the wrong choice. A little serious advice?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 11/08/07 at 14:07:59

According to the manual, GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) for the LS650 is 785 pounds.  That is how much it will carry (including itself).  So, bike weighs in around 352 pounds, which leaves you 433 pounds for you, your 2nd in command, and any cargo you wish to carry.
As far as "is there enough power?", will depend on how well it is running, and power mods done.

In other words.. I dunno.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #19 - 11/08/07 at 16:01:42

Capt._Ron wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
OK kids, I have to jump in here and subject myself to whatever ridicule you might wish to impart due to my newbieness.
Like the originator of this thread, I am looking for a bike that can take myself and the wifey for long weekend rides and occassionally 300-500 mile trips. I can adjust on the comfort issue. The bottom line questions for me are:
1.  Does the LS650/S40/Savage have the guts (power) to haul 400-500 pounds of people and gear and still travel highway speeds? I live on the coastal plains of Texas so hills are not much of an issue.
2.  Is it reliable enough to last moving those kinds of loads. I have read an awful lot about the dreaded cam chain failures and this concerns me greatly. I currently ride a GZ250 and am a member of that forum. I have seen no mention of cam tensioner issues for that engine.
Funds are limited, especially this time of year,I can't afford to make the wrong choice. A little serious advice?

Recently took a daytrip...me 220 lbs, pillion maybe another 220 lbs, plus 40-50 lbs of stuff.  Not a bit short on power, but no 7% grades at 1 mile+ altitude either...

Do you live in the mountains, at sea level, etc.  That will make a difference.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 11/08/07 at 20:25:45

1.  Does the LS650/S40/Savage have the guts (power) to haul 400-500 pounds of people and gear and still travel highway speeds?

Guess I look at it as more of a 1-up bike - wonderful in town - very good on back roads - highway speeds - guess that all depends on what you mean.

I can have the '02 down at the bridge sometime you can give it a go and see what you think  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 11/08/07 at 20:55:21

1.  Does the LS650/S40/Savage have the guts (power) to haul 400-500 pounds ... and still travel highway speeds?
2.  Is it reliable enough to last moving those kinds of loads.
3.  Funds are limited

1. I'd say yes, just ask dr_jim and his boat hauling sidecar.
2. I might avoid 110° weather while doing it, but with proper maitenance even the cam chain isn't a problem.
3. Used bikes are easily found between $1 & 2k.  Know of better bargain?

WWW   IP Logged
shaliloglu
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 11/09/07 at 05:27:05

All,
I know it depends on a lot of factor but what would a 96 savage with 8K miles be worth.? Seems to be in very good shape , with no issues.?
Private seller wants 1,800 and agreed to 1,650. decent deal for me .? the buyer.. I really want to stay at 1,500 max.
thanks

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #23 - 11/09/07 at 05:40:59

pretty good deal if it's in good shape - Kelly Blue Book has the retail price at $1905

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles/PricingReport.aspx?VehicleId=79015&Manuf...

and the trade-in value at $1255

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles/PricingReport.aspx?VehicleId=79015&Manuf...

IP Logged
Capt._Ron
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 11/09/07 at 06:23:01

Barry, I live in Galveston, TX. The only mountains around here are called overpasses.
Reelthing, very kind offer. I just may have to take you up on that. Any idea when you will be back down this way?

Thanks for the friendly input everyone. I have noticed there are a lot of late model Vulcans and Shadows for sale in the area but the idea of a single cylinder really appeals to me. I guess I have a lot to think about.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 11/09/07 at 07:03:19

shaliloglu wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
All,
I know it depends on a lot of factor but what would a 96 savage with 8K miles be worth.? Seems to be in very good shape , with no issues.?
Private seller wants 1,800 and agreed to 1,650. decent deal for me .? the buyer.. I really want to stay at 1,500 max.
thanks

one trick to knock the price down a bit, is to ask about all the little sounds it make and state of maitenance.

Ask when the head bolts were last torqued and say way past due, should of been done every 5k.  of course very few do.  That should be good for $250.
Ticking valves?
Open up the drain valve on the bottom.
Take a ruler to the tires, look up the tread depth.
etc. etc. etc.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #26 - 11/09/07 at 10:14:26

Barry, I live in Galveston, TX. The only mountains around here are called overpasses.
Reelthing, very kind offer. I just may have to take you up on that. Any idea when you will be back down this way?

Thanks for the friendly input everyone. I have noticed there are a lot of late model Vulcans and Shadows for sale in the area but the idea of a single cylinder really appeals to me. I guess I have a lot to think about.

if I can get life together I'll head down in the truck this afternoon - what me to try to bring down the '02?

IP Logged
Capt._Ron
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 11/09/07 at 10:41:01

If your coming down anyway, sure. Don't make a special trip just for me. I have to work tonight so I won't be able to hunt you down until tomorrow about noon. Let me know if you'll be there for sure and I will call you when I head out. And thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:25:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I need expert comparison. Please help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.