Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I need expert comparison. Please help (Read 9 times)
shaliloglu
Ex Member

I need expert comparison. Please help
11/06/07 at 11:09:04

All,
I am a new rider and has been riding a SV650S. Love the bike but it is not a comfortable ride after a while.
It is a Vtwin and really owesome bike..
I am looking at a Savage 650.
How do these compare on the power.? torque.? etc.
I am about 6ft - 180 so I hope the savage will not be too low a ride....

Will I like the Savage as much as the SV650S. It had got to be more comfortable than the SV.

Anyone have experience on both (or similar) bikes that can tell me more.

Will the Savage handle a passanger. ?I want to take the wife on some rides......Thanks in advance..

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: I need expert comparison. Please help
Reply #1 - 11/06/07 at 11:20:12

i haul my wife our combined  is 300# + got the shocks set to 4 out of 5 being the stiffest...
i have no complaints about my 06 ls 650 solo or two up,im 5' 10" have pegs on the engine guard next mod is for offset clamps to move those pegs forward, i like the kick back feel on hwy rides..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 11/06/07 at 11:40:04

I have both bikes.
The SV is twise the bike the LS is. At the same CCs, You are getting a lot more speed, I'd say the same pull from the line , and way better handling. The LS gas-mileage is better at lower speeds, but about 75-80, it is about the same /43-44 mpg/. If You are thinking, the LS is a comfortable bike after 1.5 hrs of riding, think again /just read the posts about the numerous attempts to modify the seat/.
 Where the LS is better- Short trips, tight turns in the parking lots, quisk runs to  places close by. Also the LS is a lot lower and narrower, so it is an excellent bike for a shorter person.
I have both bikes, but I ride my Savage every day and I hadn't ridden the SV about a month. Both bikes are fun, but the LS is more fun.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 11/06/07 at 13:16:01

SV650 has about 65 hp.  LS650 has about 31 hp.  HOWEVER, the LS650 engine beats the SV650 engine from idle to about 4000 rpms based on published torque and hp curves.  If you have an SV650 now, I'll give you the same advise I gave my best friend about a year ago...Keep it, drive it into the ground, then re-evaluate, unless you have the means to keep two bikes   Wink

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/06/07 at 13:40:49

What's not comfortable?

All bikes need a little adjustment to make it yours.

I put new bars and seat on mine to make it mine.

You may have to do the same.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
shaliloglu
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/06/07 at 14:04:20

Thanks all for the advise.
I found the seat gets very uncomfy after about an hours ride. Also, the bars ar too low and forward for me. Middle age does not help either.
Another issue is the SV not really geared for a passenger. I tired it a couple of times but not much luck.
I want a cruiser that can handle 2 people any now thinking maybe LS may not be the best entry level cruiser for that either.?
Maybe others can chime in with more..

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 11/06/07 at 14:10:39

shaliloglu wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Thanks all for the advise.
I found the seat gets very uncomfy after about an hours ride. Also, the bars ar too low and forward for me. Middle age does not help either.
Another issue is the SV not really geared for a passenger. I tired it a couple of times but not much luck.
I want a cruiser that can handle 2 people any now thinking maybe LS may not be the best entry level cruiser for that either.?
Maybe others can chime in with more..

I'll have to disagree here...I weigh about 220 and recently took a rode trip with a 200+ lb pillion (don't ask  Roll Eyes  

I have a 17/43 chain and had NO PROBLEMS at all.  (higher gear ratio than stock)  At any legal speed, with or without a pillion, the LS650 can handle it.  It has the best torque to 4000 rpms of anything of comparable size on the road.  I attribute it to the square bore configuration (3.7" bore x 3.7" stroke)

I wouldn't hesitate to take my wife on a trip if she'd ever get over the last time we had a car try to run us off the rode about 14 years ago...  :'(

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #7 - 11/06/07 at 17:58:56

i agree with changing the bike to make it fit you. a set of risers or different handlebars can fix your too far forward problem. the sv is one of the most popular bikes out now, i cant imagine them not having great aftermarket support. better than the savage anyway.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 11/07/07 at 09:51:33

... Another issue is the SV not really geared for a passenger. ...
BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!   I have no idea about the SV with a passenger, but the Savage is rather notorious.

Sounds to me like you'ld be happier on a Volusia.  Get a Mustang saddle for $450 with 16" driver and 12" passenger widths.  If I didn't love the agility and simplicity of the Savage I'd be on a Volusia.

Corbin makes a set of saddles for the SV650.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #9 - 11/07/07 at 11:24:45

The above was posted from the VW dealer (Wendy's cage being fixed.)  Stopped by Del Amo Suzuki on the way home and sat on a couple of bikes.  For me:

The SV has this lean forward position that is a stopper for me -- can't ride with just one hand.

The Volusia (C50) saddle is FAR better than either the SV or the LS -- about 16" wide, stock, nice large floorboards. The handlebars are too wide and too far forward for me -- probably just right for a six footer.

The Burgman 650 is intriguing.  Very low leg lift to mount, which my knees appreciate.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/07/07 at 11:51:40

...LS may not be the best entry level cruiser...

For the price, agility, ease of maintenance and seating position (not the actual seat), this may be best entry level available.

Handle bar are 1" diameter, the stock size for most all cruisers.  Many shapes and sizes readily available.

Seat height is low, allowing you to easily place your feet on the ground.  Something you really need when taking a passenger.

If rider/passenger comfort is essential, spend the money you saved on custom seating.  2 tractor seats for all day comfort.

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #11 - 11/07/07 at 12:42:29

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
The above was posted from the VW dealer (Wendy's cage being fixed.)  Stopped by Del Amo Suzuki on the way home and sat on a couple of bikes.  For me:

The SV has this lean forward position that is a stopper for me -- can't ride with just one hand.

The Volusia (C50) saddle is FAR better than either the SV or the LS -- about 16" wide, stock, nice large floorboards. The handlebars are too wide and too far forward for me -- probably just right for a six footer.

The Burgman 650 is intriguing.  Very low leg lift to mount, which my knees appreciate.

Dare I even say it?

If I were looking for a commuter tomorrow that I could take on some trips and occasionally take a passenger, I'd opt for a Burgman 400.  It has a 100 mph top speed and gets as good or better mpg then the LS 650, while still being a "thumper"...  Also, better protection from the elements than a Goldwing.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 11/07/07 at 14:21:40

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:

sure agree there - seems kinda strange to ride - man watch out for your left hand - that ain't no clutch!

and they will haul tail - run off and leave a lot of bikes that are picking on them

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Reply #13 - 11/07/07 at 18:12:50

I've been switching between vehicles all my life, vans, trucks, sports cars, motorbikes -- stick, auto, and even a Dodge Gyromatic.  I drive an american auto as taught by 1950's vintage Detroit Cops -- left foot braking.  On a stick I double clutch and heel-and-toe.  Never a problem switching vehicles until we got matching '03 and '04 New Beetles -- one automatic and one stick.  And that confusion only lasted a month.  The seating on the Bergman is so different, not to mention missing foot controls, that I do not see switching between rides to be a problem for me.

Not to mention that with a Bergman in the garage I could bob the Savage.  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 11/07/07 at 18:21:42

I remember the Dodge Gyromatic in 1953 it had a clutch.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:12:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I need expert comparison. Please help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.