Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How many miles can I get on my bike (Read 18 times)
brtool
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
How many miles can I get on my bike
11/04/07 at 12:18:20

My savage has 19,000 miles on it I see speedometers on e bay with 22,000 miles on but never any more what is the normal life of the savage? Without major surgery

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Re: How many miles can I get on my bike
Reply #1 - 11/04/07 at 12:43:33

I'd say you see lower mileage Savages/S40s because it is a great starter bike and eventually many folks move one to the v twins.  
As far as how many miles can you get on the bike?  Kinds depends on how you take care of it and, hate to say it, the luck of mechanics; i.e. someitme expensive sh&% just breaks.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
max
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 11/04/07 at 14:27:37

Forrest, I'm just lookin at your signature there, and the whole thing about the saying "going to hell in a handbasket" is something I don't understand.  It has mystified me for years now. Maybe its because I'm a kiwi, maybe its simply because I'm dense, but I don't get it.  Could you, or anyone else, please explain what that saying is all about, if anything?
Taa.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/04/07 at 14:50:48

I guess it depends on what you call major.

Cam chain adjuster needs looking after between 10 and 20K.  This I would call minor.  If this gets neglected, then the work is major for sure.

The chain itself may need replacing depending how you decide to fix it.  This to me is bordering major, but still minor.

Due to the low cost of this bike, it's easy just to say it's not worth fixing.  So, it'll sit around until they finally get rid of it.  And all bikes are worth more in pieces.

WWW   IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #4 - 11/05/07 at 19:11:21

Welcome to the board Max, going to hell in a handbasket is an old and commonly used American expression that means everything is going to Hell.
See below for some insight into this saying.

GOING TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET
[Q] From Brian Walker: “Can you please tell me anything about the origin of the phrase going to hell in a handbasket?”

[A] This is a weird one. It’s a fairly common American expression, known for much of the twentieth century. But it’s one about which almost no information exists, at least in the two dozen or so reference books I’ve consulted. William and Mary Morris, in their Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins, confess to the same difficulty. A handbasket is just a basket to be carried in the hand (my thanks to the Oxford English Dictionary for that gem of definition). The Dictionary of American Regional English records to go to heaven in a handbasket rather earlier than the alternative, which doesn’t appear in print until the 1940s (Walt Quader tells me that Burton Stevenson included a citation in his Home Book of Proverbs, Maxims and Familiar Phrases from Bayard Kendrick’s The Odor of Violets, published in 1941). But DARE quotes a related expression from 1714: “A committee brought in something about Piscataqua. Govr said he would give his head in a Handbasket as soon as he would pass it”, which suggests that it, or at least phrases like it, have been around in the spoken language for a long time. For example, there’s an even older expression, to go to heaven in a wheelbarrow, recorded as early as 1629, which also meant “to go to hell”. I can only assume that the alliteration of the hs has had a lot to do with the success of the various phrases, and that perhaps handbasket suggests something easily and speedily done.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 11/06/07 at 06:38:55

I have considered as many colloquial ( Is that the right word?) phrases as I have heard, Rolling stone gathers no moss, People in glass houses, throwing stones, etc etc & figured I understood the meaning, but This one has always left me wondering. I have noi idea if being in a handbasket speeds or slows the trip. Or why being in a handbasket has any effect on destination or speed. I have often wondered who may have placed the object taking the trip into the basket & I wonder who is carrying it. I don't know if the destination is final for the carrier of the basket or if whoever is hauling the basket will simply deliver contents thereof to the Devil & leave With the basket or if he will leave the basket or if he will be forced to stay with the basket.  I kinda think this whole thread is going to hell in a handbasket, whatever that means.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 11/06/07 at 07:00:36

In poetry, I believe there is a term that refers to the use of the 2 H's in the phrase, "Going to Hell in a Handbasket".  I don't know if that is relevant to the discussion though.

But since I'm totally lost, I'll just agree.  Yes, you can get more miles on your bike, than you would if you were in a handbasket!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 11/06/07 at 08:01:28

Okay, back to yoiur topic. I saw a very tired looking Savage in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I can't remember what the mileage on the odometer was, but I am sure it was over 80,000, because I remember being shocked at how far it had gone. It did not look to have been well cared for, ragged seat, faded paint,but not bent that I noticed. I saw it there a few times, so it was likely an employees ride.
But, if a man made it, it's gonna break. How often? How bad? Life's a crap shoot, ya pays yer money & ya takes yer chances. Good luck!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #8 - 11/06/07 at 08:24:27

Hey JOG. I'm kinda new to this site, but I've been riding my 2000 Savage since September 2001, started with 632 miles on it, just turned over 52,500. The original motor was still in it when I started having problems at 51,000; tried to do a rebuild but never could get everything right, so I put a salvage 2002 engine in it (2092 miles) and I'm back in the saddle. I never did anything to the original motor except routine maintenance and adjustments. After reading a lot of the posts here, I think my problem was the cam chain adjuster, but I didn't know it at the time. Hope this gives you something to go on.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #9 - 11/06/07 at 08:53:24

max wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Forrest, I'm just lookin at your signature there, and the whole thing about the saying "going to hell in a handbasket" is something I don't understand.  It has mystified me for years now. Maybe its because I'm a kiwi, maybe its simply because I'm dense, but I don't get it.  Could you, or anyone else, please explain what that saying is all about, if anything?
Taa.

Why you all did not just ask the 18th century person is beyond me.  Wink

The handbasket is a commonly used utensil by women going to market as far back as Egytian times.  Goods carried to market where what the woman (or man) had made at home and planned to sell or trade for market goods.

Common items were mostly inert things such as eggs, candles, yarn, thread, fabric, vegetables or shellfish. However, there were also live animals such as chickens, baby pigs and lambs transported via handbasket. (Some large enough to look like a big cage, but still hand carried, thus the name).

If you were the piglet, you were not coming back home alive. And where you were going to end up was in the flames.
Replace the animal with a doomed person, results in the reference, "going to h3ll in a handbasket."

Respectfully, Your Servant Sirs,
skatnbnc

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 11/06/07 at 09:19:03

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:

The handbasket is a commonly used utensil by women going to market as far back as Egytian times.  Goods carried to market where what the woman (or man) had made at home and planned to sell or trade for market goods.

Common items were mostly inert things such as eggs, candles, yarn, thread, fabric, vegetables or shellfish. However, there were also live animals such as chickens, baby pigs and lambs transported via handbasket. (Some large enough to look like a big cage, but still hand carried, thus the name).

If you were the piglet, you were not coming back home alive. And where you were going to end up was in the flames.
Replace the animal with a doomed person, results in the reference, "going to h3ll in a handbasket."

skatnbnc

Once again, this proves that the American education system is the best on Earth...

Who would ever have guessed that eggs were inert?  They never seem that way when I eat them Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 11/06/07 at 09:44:38

A form of capitol punishment was to be left in a cage till you rotted.  Some of them were quite small.  And most in them definitely went to he!!

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - 11/06/07 at 09:53:49

skatnbnc

You sure don't look that old, Ma'am!  Tongue

(But I probably do  Roll Eyes )

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #13 - 11/06/07 at 10:15:30

skatnbnc

I forgot to add that if you are the person in the aforementioned handbasket, you don't really have a choice about where you are going, (and the destination doesn't look good) which is what the phrase is sometimes referring to when used in the current venacular.

Thanks Oldfeller; it's all about staying out of the sun!  Wink

And Greg, I was not educated in the states, which may explain a few things... Grin

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 11/06/07 at 12:11:11

Chances are that if you, as a person, actually fit in the handbasket, then one must consider that the person carrying the handbasket is big enough to beat the hell out of you too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:21:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How many miles can I get on my bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.