Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cone Filter & Rejet problem (Read 102 times)
DavidD
YaBB Newbies

Cone Filter & Rejet problem
11/04/07 at 11:38:08

Hi All,

I picked up an very used (but mostly running) '87 this past July, and have been gradually restoring it.  When I got the bike, it didn't have the airbox or connector tubes, so I bought one of the metal-mesh cone filters and hooked it straight to the carb.  Following Balderdash's suggestions found here http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...,
I stepped the pilot up to a .055 jet.  

When I put the carb back on the bike, I got no idle unless I had the choke pulled out to the first notch - pushing the choke all the way in would idle so low that the engine would nearly die.  I drilled out the cap over the idle-mixture screw, but the screw was varnished in place, so had to drill it and use extractors, then replaced the screw, spring, washer and o-ring. (Does the O-ring go ON the screw, or just in-front of the screw in the hole? I put mine ON the screw.)  With the new screw, I fired the engine back up, and tried adjusting it, but it seemed to make no difference at all when I'd tweak the mixture screw - from all the way in to 3 full turns out, the non-choked idle was still near stall.

SO I removed the carb again,  disassembled it (except for a few of the air jets), and blew an entire 12 ounce can of carb-cleaner through every orifice and hole I could find (including the airjets I'd left in).  I put the carb back on yesterday, but the idle is still so low the engine dies, unless I use the choke.  It runs pretty well on 1/2 choke... Wink

Can anybody offer any suggestions?  The Clymer says not to use wire to clean out the orifices, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've got a piece of brass or something (from all the drilling) stuck somewhere in the idle circuit that blowing-out won't remove.

Thanks for any advice,
Dave

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: Cone Filter & Rejet problem
Reply #1 - 11/04/07 at 11:45:44

This seems silly, but...

Did you attempt to adjust the idle speed?  If you tried, what were the results?

How new is the gas in the tank?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 11/04/07 at 12:57:26

I hate to say it but you need to take it apart again, including every single jet in the little thing.   Get more carb juice and you can use tiny wire if you  are careful to clean the passageways.  I take small electrical wire, strip the insulation and unravel the strands of copper wire and use them to go through the passageways... GENTLY

Every little hole needs to be open and clean.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 11/04/07 at 13:26:44

Seeing nobody addressed the idle mix screw o-ring question: I also had to replace mine, but I replaced only the screw/needle. In this fiche:

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0039/carburetor/carburetor.cfm?man=su&group...

It shows the o-ring under a washer with the spring on top of it (Items 43-47). I would assume that means it shouldn't be around the screw as you said you have it installed.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 11/04/07 at 13:28:38

If that '87 has the stock carb and it looks like it does that's a very big pilot jet. The carbs we a good bit different - might should go back to stock 47.5 jet  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #5 - 11/04/07 at 13:34:36

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
If that '87 has the stock carb and it looks like it does that's a very big pilot jet. The carbs we a good bit different - might should go back to stock 47.5 jet  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1098869040

Right-O... Even after installing a Dyna muffler on my 87, I realized it already had good sized jets in it. I put the new ones in, even though they were the same size, and closed it back up. The only adjustment necessary was on the idle mix and idle speed screws and it ran fine. At least the carb got cleaned and Stainless allen head capscrews installed out of the deal.

Your main malfunction may be having that idle mix screw and o-ring in wrong... anyone else know different?

IP Logged
DavidD
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - 11/04/07 at 20:37:51

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Barry: The idle speed screw is about midways.  Idle was pretty decent before I started, maybe a tiny bit high for a single.   I've tried a few more twists up, but it didn't seem to make much difference, the RPMs are still in the basement. I got the gas about 3 weeks ago (had to replace the petc0ck on the tank).  And also have an inline filter as well.

Rockin John - Thanks, that looks alot like the fiche at BikeBandit - and neither really shows where the o-ring is supposed to be when assembled. So your o-ring is sitting down in the carb when you take the mixture screw out?  When I finally got mine out, the o-ring was down in the carb so had to get it out with a piece of wire.  When I went to put the new one in, I just figured it went on the screw with the washer and spring - it seemed to fit OK, and I didn't know where else to put it other than leave it loose down in that circuit.  Am I wrong about that?

And John and Reelthing - should it at least idle with a too-big jet?  I could understand if a too-small jet made the idle go so low, but I'd think a too-big one wouldn't drag it down to stalling. I've got a 47.5, so I may try it.

Lancer - thanks, I was afraid somebody was gonna say that. heh.  At least it's getting cold outside, so I don't feel like I'm missing out if I'm inside with a disassembled carb instead of out riding with cold fingers...  I'll give the electrical wire a shot.

Does anybody know where the idle circuit dumps into the airstream?  Is it those three tiny holes right above the butterfly?  I guess I'll  need to feed the wire "backwards",  right?

Thanks again,
Dave

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 11/04/07 at 22:54:31

Dave, I'll tell you all I know about the idle mix screw circuit assembly, but hopefully one of the other people can fill in any blanks.

When I drilled out the cover plug over my screw, I bunged up the head of the soft brass screw with the drill bit. (I know several others here have done the same).  Anyways, I ordered a new screw to put into mine when I was doing my other jetting, but it seems there is more than one type of screw for that same Mikuni, and Ron Ayer's sent me the wrong one.

The one I pulled out was a complete needle point on the end, and the one they sent me was flat on the end with only about half of the end making a small needle point. (Wish I could find my picture I took of the two side by side, but that explanation is the best I can do.)

Also, When I pulled the original plug and brass screw, no spring or o-ring came out. In the end, I simply filed a new slot in the top of the old screw/needle jet so I could easily adjust it with my little screwdriver, and that's how it is to this day. I can tell you that turning my screw in or out definitely makes a difference in the amount of backfire I get. I've reached a happy medium at about 2 turns out, and an idle speed of right under 1k. (Setting your idle down really slow where the bike sounds really cool, turns out to be a real problem to correct tuning.)

Hope that helps, good luck.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #8 - 11/05/07 at 02:40:42

DavidD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Thanks for the replies, folks.

Does anybody know where the idle circuit dumps into the airstream?  Is it those three tiny holes right above the butterfly?  I guess I'll  need to feed the wire "backwards",  right?

Thanks again,
Dave

Dave,
When cleaning your carb I am assuming you stripped it down?  All the jets out type of thing?  As for the pilot circuit.  Make sure you take out the pilot jet and make sure that is clean.  (always becareful with carb spray to keep it out of your eyes..nasty stuff)  Then open the butterfly with one hand via the thottle linkage, insert spray can tube up the tube where the pilot jet was, then look in the engine side of the carb.  Not spray!  Alot of fluid will come back out the pilot tube but you should see some come up through the 3 holes.  Depending on how the stream goes in that could be anything from a burble to 3 shots coming out the holes.

Depending on the storage conditions, those little holes can be the down fall of a carb job.

Lastly, if it idled before did you induce an air leak when you reassembled it?  Was it in the manifold/rubber boot fully and the clamp tight?  any signs of cracks in the rubber boot?  That could destroy an idle also.

Good luck

WWW   IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #9 - 11/05/07 at 15:03:20

If it started acting up after you put on the inline filter, try it without the filter.

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
DavidD
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 11/07/07 at 20:11:47

John - thanks for mentioning your different parts.  I pulled my carb tonite and removed the mixture screw - the new one that BikeBandit sent is definitely different than the original one. The original was brass, the new one is steel (I guess).  The original had 2 steps near the needle-end - the main shaft steps down to a smaller diameter that's about 3 mm long, then that steps down to the needle which is also about 3 mm long (all eyeballs, no ruler handy).  The new one is a single step - main shaft down to a cone-needle.  As well, the "needle" part of the new one is about 2 mm shorter than both steps on the original, and the point of the needle looks a bit smaller/pointy-er.  Actually, from the end of the threads to the tip of the needle, the new one is about 2 mm shorter altogether, although the main shaft on both seems to be about the same length.

Ron Ayers and Crotch Rocket both list the mixture screw, and the fiche pics LOOK like the two-stepped screw - not that I really trust any fiche to match reality.  The part numbers are similar between the two sites, but not exact.  Guess I'll order both, since they're only $4, and see which, if either, is the correct one.

Blue - thanks for the tips.  As far as I can tell, the boot is OK - doesn't look dry-rotted, isn't hard and brittle.

GJ - it worked fine with the cone filter originally, the problem started after changing the jets.

WWW   IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #11 - 11/08/07 at 02:41:54

When did You put on the fuel filter?

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 11/08/07 at 07:21:30

Old carburetors behave a lot like old mistresses   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
DavidD
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - 11/08/07 at 16:08:55

John,
Do you happen to still have the part #'s for the two screws you got from Ron Ayers?  I think your "wrong" screw sounds like my "right" screw.

Thanks,
Dave

WWW   IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/08/07 at 20:55:07

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 09:51:19 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print