Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Off-throttle to idle issue (Read 28 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Off-throttle to idle issue
10/31/07 at 12:01:12

When i'm coming off of throttle to idle (say driving down the road coming to a stop sign) the RPMs drop down to about 800 before coming back up to normal idle.  This only happen when i'm running at about 3000RPMs+ and pull the clutch in.  The RPMs drop all the way down and then it returns to the set idle speed.  I just recently rebuilt the carb and everything is clean.  What's the deal?  The slide is as clean as it's ever going to get but I figured if that was sticking I wouldn't get the drop,.  Instead I would remain at higher RPMs.

What's the deal??

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Off-throttle to idle issue
Reply #1 - 10/31/07 at 14:06:27

Anyone?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/31/07 at 14:47:23

I think that's normal.

Suddenly closing the throttle starves the engine of air to slow it down and the fuel/air ratio is optimized for idle, not for running full bore.  So what does get in there is a little rich.  And maybe wets the plug a little.  So by the time it reaches idle itaint running so good.  And the idle is going to be slow untill the excess can be burnt off.  Returning it back to the set idle speed.

ok?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 10/31/07 at 14:50:53

Hmmm, I don't think it's normal since it never did it before.  Plus it only happens when I come off the throttle AND pull the clutch lever.  It does not do it when I just come off the throttle and slow down.

So some suggestions on what to change?  Sometimes it gets to the point of stalling but thankfully that's rare.  Regardless it very unnerving.  

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 10/31/07 at 14:55:05

I think the float bowl is a little low from the hard running and the idle suction on the petc0ck needle valve isn't enough flow for a fast refill on the float level -- temporary slow idle comes primarily from a slightly lower bowl level.   Get same sort of action each time you try to run out of gas, don't you?

Plus engine is max hot from the exertion and all the running fits are a bit tighter right after you slow down (air flow goes down too).

Take your pick, or say it may be a combo of all the above.  In any case it's normal enough on my bike.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 10/31/07 at 14:59:32

Down to 800 and back up to idle?  I'm idling at about 600!!

A sudden throttle closure will cause an engine to stall out.  (some?) Automotive carbs have (had?) a thing called a dashpot that would delay full closure so as to not stall the engine.  On the Savage I'll blip the throttle lightly to stop from stalling out.  But as noted, I'm idling obscenely low.  If you have recently rebuilt the carb it is probably closing smoother and faster.

WWW   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 10/31/07 at 15:02:24

I run my petc0ck on prime all the time to avoid any issues from the On/Res petc0ck so that can't be it.  

I guess I could re-adjust the floats a hair higher to give the bowl a bit more fuel.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 10/31/07 at 15:03:05

Idle is supposed to be at least 1000 rpm to keep from oil starving the cam bearings.  (or so they say ....)

Mine gets "even" sounding at 1150 - 1200 rpm, any less than that is irregular and lumpy sounding.

600 would be very low sounding to me -- literally.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 10/31/07 at 15:04:07

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Down to 800 and back up to idle?  I'm idling at about 600!!

A sudden throttle closure will cause an engine to stall out.  (some?) Automotive carbs have (had?) a thing called a dashpot that would delay full closure so as to not stall the engine.  On the Savage I'll blip the throttle lightly to stop from stalling out.  But as noted, I'm idling obscenely low.  If you have recently rebuilt the carb it is probably closing smoother and faster.

Wow, that is low.  Idle should be ~1,100RPMs (at least that's what it says on my front manufaturers plate).

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 10/31/07 at 18:00:42

I noticed mine does this when it's just barely warmed up.  It even stalls if I let off the throttle and hit the clutch.  Idles at around 900.  Once I ride another 10-15 minutes it goes away and idle is 1100.

Paladin,
 I have an oil pressure gauge on mine (off the test port).  With 10W40 MC oil, at idle and outside air at 80 F, bike warmed after 20 minutes of riding, the oil pressure at 1000 rpm was only 2 -4 psig. Yes,....2 psig.....  scary!!!   I don't think I want to know what 600 RPM would give.    Sure hope you're running 20W50....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 10/31/07 at 18:56:41

This happens even after highway riding so I know it's been warmed up.  I've been setting my idle to ~1,250-1,300RPMs so that when it drops I don't stall.  All the diaphrams seem free from holes, air filter is new, and I just cleaned the carb, so i'm at a loss.

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 10/31/07 at 20:09:19

Fun fun fun, coming back from work tonight I was taking an exit in 4th gear (86') from 5000RPM, pulled the clutch and she stalled.  Started up no problem, but still, that SHOULDN'T happen.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #12 - 11/01/07 at 02:02:01

With tickover revs dropping then coming up suggests a rich mix.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #13 - 11/01/07 at 04:46:24

It's normal from what I've seen. After I rejetted, I noticed mine did that (the rpms dropped when returning to idle). I turned up the idle speed a bit and it's been fine.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 11/01/07 at 05:28:36

HI- foggy brain this am..too much Halloween I guess. Your idle drops way low, bike actually stalls when coming into a stop, but Only with the clutch pulled in. This is a little backwards=No?  Usually a bike rpms fall when you come into a stop, then you engage the clutch taking the engine off load, allowing it to turn more freely(quicker) and the idle stays up and you don't stall..  Hmm
Forgive the dumb question..you are downshifting as you come into the stop situation?  And you ride with the pet on pri to eliminate vacuum issues..   No kink in the fuel line..
Great question (not a great situation) Have you tried it with pet in on positon..maybe partiallly clogged pet unit..curious how it does on vacumn.
Good luck and keep us posted.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:26:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Off-throttle to idle issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.