Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Battery is Best (Read 12 times)
bad2the_bone
Ex Member

What Battery is Best
10/30/07 at 00:44:03

I have a '98 Savage, and with bombardment of wildfires here in SoCal lately, I haven't ridden it in 2 weeks. I tried to start in up on saturday and the battery was dead. Would battery do you guys recommend?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: What Battery is Best
Reply #1 - 10/30/07 at 02:41:40

I have a dry cell battery made by Odyssey.   The one I got was made for Harley's so it has plenty of power to crank the 650  single.  I have had it for about 4-5 years and have never  had a problem with it...not once.   Also, an added benefit  of it being a dry cell type battery is that it can be mounted anywhere and in any position ... upright, on its side, or upside down even.
I bought mine from the company's ebay store.  I do not know if it is still there  but is worth a look because the price was lower than at any of the traditional dealers.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 10/30/07 at 05:11:53

I have a "Big Crank" sealed battery. Never had a problem with it. I keep a Battery tender jr. hooked up to in when the weather starts getting cold and I ride alot less.
AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 10/30/07 at 06:18:13

I'll sure 2nd the bigcrank - no hassle fit in the stock battery box, sealed agm - so no water to worry with and no vent tube to wonder where it's venting acid

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 10/30/07 at 09:52:07

I also have an Odyssey mil-spec battery and I love it.  However, it took minor adaptations to get it to fit.  If I'd known about the Big Crank at the time, I probably would have bought it.  No complaints on my Odyssey though!  And I love the fact that it's steel-jacketed.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 10/30/07 at 10:04:51

Love my "Big Crank"= Hassle free Cheesy

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 10/30/07 at 11:08:05

I got a 'big crank' and it's on the bike... I think.  It's been so long since I looked at it, I don't remember.  It starts every day, so it must be in there.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #7 - 10/30/07 at 11:16:06

I'm gonna go the other route.

The 'Zuk's battery is JUST LIKE another, more common battery...but waaay more expensive because the drain tube's on the wrong side.

Easy fix.

Get you a whizz wheel, and cut a lil notch out of the box and the cap...thataway, that 27.99 wal*mart battery fits riiiight in there.  No wait for parts when you find a dead battery, every shop here to eternity carries it, and for the price of one expensive odyssey or optima or big-crank, you can buy you three wally batteries plus a whizz wheel disc or two.

Just my two cents.
-Liam

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #8 - 10/31/07 at 12:38:07

govmule84 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Get you a whizz wheel, and cut a lil notch out of the box and the cap...thataway, that 27.99 wal*mart battery fits riiiight in there.  No wait for parts when you find a dead battery, every shop here to eternity carries it, and for the price of one expensive odyssey or optima or big-crank, you can buy you three wally batteries plus a whizz wheel disc or two.
-Liam

What!?* $50 for my Big Crank and no mod required  Roll Eyes And no freaking drip tube or "Keeping your eyes on the water level" Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #9 - 10/31/07 at 14:31:12

Easy now...
Just my two cents.  But my guess is that your local MC shop doesn't carry that battery, and if you're on a ride, and leave your key in the ignition at the local watering hole, my plan works better... unless you like unplanned stops.

I'm not knocking the Big Crank.  I just like things done the po' boy way.  Everyone has a different way; that's what makes a horse race.  As far as checking the water level...well, I mean, I just don't think it's that big a deal, personally.  

And as far as the drip tube...if it's dripping, you got some problems anyway.  You've got two carb drip tubes, a breather drip tube...hell, what's one more?

Additionally, 50 bones for the Big Crank is about as cheap as I have heard of.  Those batteries simply ain't cheap.  The battery in my ancient 1/2 ton chevy doesn't cost fifty bones, and you can bet most of your next paycheck the battery in my bike ain't gonna cost that much either.

Just my two cents.  I like to be different.

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #10 - 10/31/07 at 15:29:48

govmule84 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Easy now...
Just my two cents.  But my guess is that your local MC shop doesn't carry that battery, and if you're on a ride, and leave your key in the ignition at the local watering hole, my plan works better... unless you like unplanned stops.

Dude,
I agree that everyone is different. Here's my 2 cents Smiley The last time my battery let me down, I pushed start it (and yes it does work with help). And after that episode, I tailor made connections to terminals on the battery so I can jump start Grin Nothing beats being prepared for the unexpected. As I get older, time is more valuable than money to me. So I usually cough up the money and go with the easy way and save time + headache. "Different strokes for different folks"; I guess.

Cheers;

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:19:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What Battery is Best

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.