Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print
A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues (Read 598 times)
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Very "Interesting" Thing Just Happen
Reply #75 - 11/03/07 at 11:32:09

Put a vaccum gauge on what vac.reading do you get running vs. going to stall? Is the needle steady or jumping arround? You may have a valve sticking 1 of tne intakes or exhaust. Try a cylinder leak tester If at tdc @ 80psi you get air out intake valve is leaking out the tail pipe it's exhaust valve out of oil fill plug it's rings or piston. Yes it could be electrical but usually elect. will not cause oil copm. Just thought.
Ride Safe
Viper

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #76 - 11/03/07 at 12:56:05

I tend to think the problem is mechanical, but I'll keep the electrical in mind.  Just haven't seen anything to indicate it yet...

...haven't even had time to look at it again.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #77 - 11/03/07 at 14:19:11

Rings??  ??? Rings?  ???

There's supposed to be rings in there somewhere??  Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #78 - 11/03/07 at 14:42:49

Greg, my first inclination is the oil control ring.  But I'd check the face and seats of the valves as well, this might be a burned/damaged valve.  Interested to see the outcome nonetheless  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #79 - 11/04/07 at 05:23:51

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Rings??  ??? Rings?  ???

There's supposed to be rings in there somewhere??  Shocked

Yep.  Just like the rings around yur a nus.
Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #80 - 11/04/07 at 05:40:03

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Greg, my first inclination is the oil control ring.  But I'd check the face and seats of the valves as well, this might be a burned/damaged valve.  Interested to see the outcome nonetheless  Grin

Yeah, I thought about that, but a valve would cause a loss in compression, but a valve seal would cause the oil leak.  Except that I don't get a lot of gray smoke, either...???

IP Logged
DrT
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #81 - 11/06/07 at 09:24:11

I assume that you have tried replacing the spark plug.  I had a situation recently with a 125cc 4-stroke single.  I had replaced the spark plug with a new one during a routine service.  Next day I rode it to work and back - about 20 miles.  (My Savage is currently off-road being rebuilt).  It ran perfectly.  The next day I rode it to work again with no problems.  On the way back it began to rain.  Then the bike began misfiring and cutting out.  It stalled several times but each time I eventually managed to re-start it. Eventually I nursed it back home.

Because of the rain I thought of problems wih HT lead, spark plug cap, coil etc. I examined the plug which was sooty but giving a good, big, bright blue/white spark so I cleaned it and put it back in.  I replaced the coil and HT lead and it ran fine again.  

I rode it to work again the next day.  On the way back it began to rain.  The bike began missing and cutting out again.  When I got home I cleaned out the carb but it made no difference.  I was thinking about replacing the CDI unit, when, in a flash of inspiration I put the old plug back in it (I had kept it as an emergency spare).  It then ran fine and hasn't had a problem since.

The rain was probably just coincidence.  What I had was a brand new but defective plug. It sparked well out of the bike but kept breaking down under the stress of running in the engine.

My advice is stick to simple explanations.  Even if the oil ring is defective you would be more likely to get oil smoke than the engine stalling.  Carburation would have to be way off for such a problem to occur. My guess is that the problem is electrical but not showing up under non-running condidtions.  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #82 - 11/07/07 at 10:37:42

My motto is generally KISS, but sometimes it is hard to avoid being stupid too Tongue

Electrical is a remote possibility and I'll look into it a bit more.

One thing that I do know is that my rings measured marginally good...maybe only .001-.002" above the service limit.  That plus some scoring that I removed with a good honing may have put my rings beyond useful. (1 of the photos on the CD show the actual measure)  I saved myself ~$23 by not buying new rings, and I think that might be the real issue.  After that it just took a few miles for the rings to wear in too much...

...so see, knowing what I skipped is sorta keeping it simple Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #83 - 11/11/07 at 14:32:21

Since this began, I've been kinda PO'd and haven't been back to it until today.  But this afternoon I cleaned my plug, disconnected the vacuum line, plugged the carb nipple, turned it to PRI and started the bike.

Seemed like it took a few more turns than normal to start, but it fired right up.  Nice and smooth, and I thought things might be okay.  After 10 seconds or so, I gave the throttle a couple little blips to see how the exhaust looked in the bright sunlight.  Sounded good with the baffle out of the Raask, but that shotgun blast of gray smoke looked like $hit....

The bike ran about 20 seconds total and I couldn't keep it from dying...it sputtered out quickly.

(Now mind ya, it took me a few minutes to put the plug in the vise and get my camera and tripod...)

What you see on that almost new iridium plug has got to be oil.  The exhaust was gray and my carb is not flooding.  I don't really know how to wipe off a small sample like that and know for sure without one of those spectrography thingies.  After all, a spark plug smells like gas and oil anyway.

I decided to try something else...I turned the piston to TDC, grabbed a small piece of tubing, and a Q-tip.  With the Q-tip in the tubing, I dabbed at the top of my piston.  What I got on the Q-tip was black and liquid.  It didn't rub off the piston like a powdery carbon.  It soaked into the cotton.

My engine is screwed, and it's my own damm fault.  I bet that should have bought those new rings.

More later...

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #84 - 11/12/07 at 06:15:45

Greg,
 Good luck.  

An old timer once told me that if you're going to spend the time honing, you might as well get new rings.  Otherwise what scored the walls may still be there.

Twice I didn't follow his advice and suffered.  Now I bite the bullet and buy the rings.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #85 - 11/12/07 at 13:20:56

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Greg,
 Good luck.  

An old timer once told me that if you're going to spend the time honing, you might as well get new rings.  Otherwise what scored the walls may still be there.

Twice I didn't follow his advice and suffered.  Now I bite the bullet and buy the rings.

I know...the new rings were in my wish list at Ron Ayers, but I took the gamble because I didn't want to wait another week or so to get them.  

I figured that I had reinstalled them twice before without a problem....but 3's a charm Tongue

Funny too the plug fouled even faster yesterday, than it did last time...must be getting worse.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #86 - 11/13/07 at 14:51:17

Well, well, well...got the head off this afternoon.

Here's an engine with just about 130 miles on the last assembly.

In this one, you can see where oil puddled on the left side when parked on the side stand.

Anyone that has the photo CD knows what this head looked like after I polished it and cleaned the valves.  Notice the shiny oil?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #87 - 11/13/07 at 15:47:58

been a long while since ive been that deep into a cylinder..if i member corectly the cyl wall should be cross hatched and new rings are "broke in"(ride it like you stoled it)then you are assured of max seal= compression=power...set this ol dog straight..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #88 - 11/13/07 at 19:35:48

At least you didn't score up the cylinder wall, a quick rehone, new rings and clean head will put you back on the road. Kind of curious about what the old rings look like, are the edges rounded or do they just look worn down. Undecided

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #89 - 11/14/07 at 05:21:29

thumperclone wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
been a long while since ive been that deep into a cylinder..if i member corectly the cyl wall should be cross hatched and new rings are "broke in"(ride it like you stoled it)then you are assured of max seal= compression=power...set this ol dog straight..

You are right.

Unfortunately, the cylinder is nicely cross hatched and the rings are old.  They have been reinstalled 3 times...

That's why I'm posting this.  Don't do what I did Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:11:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.