Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print
A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues (Read 598 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Very "Interesting" Thing Just Happen
Reply #60 - 11/01/07 at 09:45:53

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
When the bike was running did it smoke any, oil smoke I mean, not dumpster smoke?. Maybe pull the exhaust pipe off the head and see if there is any oil in the exhaust port.  

Interesting thought.  When I first started it after assembly, I had a puff or two of gray smoke.  That was most likely oil used when I assemble the valves, etc.

After that the smoke mostly appeared to be puffs of black which I figured was too rich (I changed the main jet too).  Didn't really notice any gray oil smoke.

I'm gonna pull the plug again later....hmmm.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #61 - 11/01/07 at 10:22:01

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
If the resistor "opens up" does that mean that it can also "close down" after it cools?  It would have to be able to do that since it fires right up again after I clean the plug.

Generally they don't close down.  They burn out is what they do and as they do the resistance goes up giving weaker and weaker spark.  Working from memory I believe the spec is 11K ohms for a good one.  My thought was if you had weak spark it starts fine with a good dry plug and then as soon as it miss fires the plug starts to get wet causing another miss fire and then you flood right away due to weak spark.

How is the ground connection under the coil?  the old intruders from '87 had a problem from the factory with a bad ground connection.  We would take the new ones and make sure the paint was sanded off right under the coil mount to make sure they had a good ground or they would have a bad idle.

The only other bizarre thing I have delt with on flooding at idle is when the o-ring around the needle seat doesn't seal (Item #21 on ron ayers carb view) It is not noticable at higher rpm but it causes a high fuel level and richness at idle.

The question is, is it truely rich, or is it looking that way due to bad spark?  If it is truely rich then chase the fuel/carb demons, if you have a spark/engine issue start with the electrical & engine compression route.

Your wife has a savage too doesn't she?  have you tried putting your ECU on her bike and see if it does the same thing to her bike?  Bad ECU's can act funny.

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #62 - 11/01/07 at 15:37:32

Had a Pontitank once with a crack in the coil. It would start up and run till the coil got warm then it would short out and shut off. When it cooled off it would start up with no problem till it got warm again. A weak or no spark would give a wet plug but wouldn't explain the choke pulsing in and out.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #63 - 11/01/07 at 18:24:10

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Had a Pontitank once with a crack in the coil. It would start up and run till the coil got warm then it would short out and shut off. When it cooled off it would start up with no problem till it got warm again. A weak or no spark would give a wet plug but wouldn't explain the choke pulsing in and out.

Has anyone else watched theirs closely.  Is the pulsing something that is really not normally there? (sorry mine is in pieces right now)  I have watched intake boots on the old GS's pulse at idle.

WWW   IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #64 - 11/01/07 at 19:17:35

I`m leaning towards rings, now....B

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #65 - 11/02/07 at 07:02:35

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Generally they don't close down.  They burn out is what they do and as they do the resistance goes up giving weaker and weaker spark.  Working from memory I believe the spec is 11K ohms for a good one.  My thought was if you had weak spark it starts fine with a good dry plug and then as soon as it miss fires the plug starts to get wet causing another miss fire and then you flood right away due to weak spark.

How is the ground connection under the coil?  the old intruders from '87 had a problem from the factory with a bad ground connection.  We would take the new ones and make sure the paint was sanded off right under the coil mount to make sure they had a good ground or they would have a bad idle.

The only other bizarre thing I have delt with on flooding at idle is when the o-ring around the needle seat doesn't seal (Item #21 on ron ayers carb view) It is not noticable at higher rpm but it causes a high fuel level and richness at idle.

The question is, is it truely rich, or is it looking that way due to bad spark?  If it is truely rich then chase the fuel/carb demons, if you have a spark/engine issue start with the electrical & engine compression route.

Your wife has a savage too doesn't she?  have you tried putting your ECU on her bike and see if it does the same thing to her bike?  Bad ECU's can act funny.

I figured that my "close down" would get this explanation.  I understood what you were saying, but...

The first thing that I did when the engine died, was to pull the plug, ground it and check the spark.  It sparked weakly 'cause it was wet.  I cleaned it and did it again.  Good spark.  The same thing has happened 3 times since.  Each time the spark was steady and bright.  Not red or weak looking.  I don't really think that the resistor in the plug cap can cool and behave that way 4 times.  

As it is, I encountered my first totally dead spark plug cap on a 1980 XL250 a few weeks ago.  Checked it with a meter and it was "infinite".  I was checking the coil and ended up buying the cap.  Your statement about 11K ohms is correct though.  If you have a 5K resistor cap and measure the coil secondary with the cap installed, you'll get 9-11K ohms if it's good.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #66 - 11/02/07 at 07:12:47

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:

Yeah, I've heard of the coil doing this.  Never seen it though.  However, once the coil got hot the spark wouldn't return as quickly as I've checked it.  My chrome cover is off, and I'd get the plug out, clean it and put it back pretty quick.  Not much waiting.

This is about like what Smokin' was saying about the cap.  But the materials are really different.  If you've ever removed the resistor in a plug cap, you'd know it is a solid ceramic like material that is shaped like a cylinder.  Of course, the coil is a bunch of wire windings.

I'll look more at these 2 items if I encounter a weak spark, but that hasn't happened yet

I had a Pontitank once too.  Big old Bonneville with a 400.    Power everything, gas hog...Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #67 - 11/02/07 at 07:16:23

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Has anyone else watched theirs closely.  Is the pulsing something that is really not normally there? (sorry mine is in pieces right now)  I have watched intake boots on the old GS's pulse at idle.

This was an observation that may not be related to the problem.  The knob was sort of bouncing in and out, but not out to one of the 2 choke positions or anything that extreme.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #68 - 11/02/07 at 07:21:39

Hell, Billy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I`m leaning towards rings, now....B

What have I said that makes you think that way?  What do you know about bad rings?

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

Reply #69 - 11/02/07 at 18:44:31

Worn rings let oil pass, cracked rings can cause all kind of wierdness...........sometimes you could get a false compression reading cold, and those lil buggers could slip around when they are warm & toasty...just a thought.

B

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #70 - 11/02/07 at 21:40:37

I'll tell you what Greg, before I would jump to the conclusion that I needed to tear down to put rings in, unless I was absolutely convinced that the plug fouling was oil...  (but that consumption doesn't sound good)

I'd swap in known good ECU & coil regardless that they appear to be functioning correctly. I've had both cause hair pulling problems. And at times when I thought the ignition had been completely eliminated as a possibility.

Once on my old 67 Volvo; I adjusted the valve lash; rebuilt the two SU carbs; did unknown amount of distributor and point twiddling, and on, and on for days. Had it been a Chevy and a $10 coil, I'd have thrown one at it just in case, but on that Volvo a coil cost more like $110! A mechanic at the dealership finally convinced me that it was the likely culprit. He was right. It was a lesson I'll never forget.

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

Reply #71 - 11/02/07 at 23:06:20

That 'plug getting wet' thing might be a tell.......check and see if it`s wet w/ gas or oil. The oil consumption is another tell. I sure hope it ain`t your rings, but that oil is going somewhere. Maybe it`s blocked somewhere?

Hey, did you ever pick up a copy of that big red Chiltons MC & ATV guide? The trouble shooting chapter in it is priceless if you spend a lot of time chasing GR**LINS [don`t mention the little buggers, NEVER!!!].

When I was doing a bit of blacksmithing we used to sprinkle a little cornmeal around the anvil to appease them, also left a door or window open so the bastids could get out.....

B

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #72 - 11/03/07 at 04:19:38

Worn rings let oil pass, cracked rings can cause all kind of wierdness...........sometimes you could get a false compression reading cold, and those lil buggers could slip around when they are warm & toasty...just a thought.

B

I figure that if the rings are passing oil that a cold compression test could give a false reading.  Of course, since most compression tests are recommended with a warm engine (what if it won't start?), they'd be oily anyway.  Usually, they only suggest adding oil for comparison to see if that indicates bad rings.  My compression reading was still on the low end of the range.

As it is, during assembly, I did have to vigorously hone the cylinder because of a scoring mark on the cylinder wall, and then I assembled it with used rings that measured close to their service limit.

This might be a lesson of hindsight Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #73 - 11/03/07 at 04:23:56

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I'll tell you what Greg, before I would jump to the conclusion that I needed to tear down to put rings in, unless I was absolutely convinced that the plug fouling was oil...  (but that consumption doesn't sound good)

I'd swap in known good ECU & coil regardless that they appear to be functioning correctly. I've had both cause hair pulling problems. And at times when I thought the ignition had been completely eliminated as a possibility.

Once on my old 67 Volvo; I adjusted the valve lash; rebuilt the two SU carbs; did unknown amount of distributor and point twiddling, and on, and on for days. Had it been a Chevy and a $10 coil, I'd have thrown one at it just in case, but on that Volvo a coil cost more like $110! A mechanic at the dealership finally convinced me that it was the likely culprit. He was right. It was a lesson I'll never forget.

That's an interesting thought, even though that goes against my motto of KISS.  I do have the luxury of a second Savage that can provide some donor electrical parts if needed.

The next time that it happens, I'll grab the ignition unit off the spouse's bike when she isn't looking Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #74 - 11/03/07 at 04:26:11

That 'plug getting wet' thing might be a tell.......check and see if it`s wet w/ gas or oil. The oil consumption is another tell. I sure hope it ain`t your rings, but that oil is going somewhere. Maybe it`s blocked somewhere?

Hey, did you ever pick up a copy of that big red Chiltons MC & ATV guide? The trouble shooting chapter in it is priceless if you spend a lot of time chasing GR**LINS [don`t mention the little buggers, NEVER!!!].

When I was doing a bit of blacksmithing we used to sprinkle a little cornmeal around the anvil to appease them, also left a door or window open so the bastids could get out.....

B

I hadn't thought of hanging Gremlin bells around the garage.  Might be useful on moving objects like the toolbox drawers and the garage doors too Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:20:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.