Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print
A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues (Read 598 times)
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Very "Interesting" Thing Just Happen
Reply #45 - 10/31/07 at 05:14:20

Savage_Greg

I know you've had lots of advice so far. But if you're still not running might I make a suggestion? From what you've described the engine is running rich. Keep it simple -solve this first. After you solve this, if you have other symptoms move on, otherwise go riding. Most likely causes of rich condition are either not enough air, or too much fuel, electrical being a distant third. If you don't have your intake pinched off somehow, I'd start looking at the carb. Perhaps even changing back to the smaller jets until you get to a lean condition.

Something else to keep in mind (I'm sure you are) is that whenever something goes wrong after wrenching, far and away the most likely cause is the wrencher. Since it would be really really difficult to describe everything you did (especially a mistake you don't remember) this is just a reminder.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #46 - 10/31/07 at 05:16:55

stinger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Four very good suggestions:
1)...you didnt use enough WD40
2)....you shouldnt have changed your cam chain
3)....you should call a motorcycle handyman. one must live in your area somewhere
4)...God is getting even with you for callin me Stinker and your mean posts
nanananaaaaaaa!!!!

I see that you were lurking around at 2 AM again...

Hey, it's Halloween.  What costume are you gonna be wearing tonight?  Will it involve a hot water bottle or a deer skin?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #47 - 10/31/07 at 05:31:12

mornhm - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Savage_Greg

I know you've had lots of advice so far. But if you're still not running might I make a suggestion? From what you've described the engine is running rich. Keep it simple -solve this first. After you solve this, if you have other symptoms move on, otherwise go riding. Most likely causes of rich condition are either not enough air, or too much fuel, electrical being a distant third. If you don't have your intake pinched off somehow, I'd start looking at the carb. Perhaps even changing back to the smaller jets until you get to a lean condition.

Something else to keep in mind (I'm sure you are) is that whenever something goes wrong after wrenching, far and away the most likely cause is the wrencher. Since it would be really really difficult to describe everything you did (especially a mistake you don't remember) this is just a reminder.

At this point it is a matter of, "What changed?"  Don't know if you read the post, but we went riding all day the day before.  Not a problem.  That's why this IS interesting.

The first thing that I checked was fuel.  The carb was full, no flooding, but the plug was wet.  Then checked the spark, and it was good.  Then because this is my third "reassembly" with used rings and valves, I checked compression.  That was good.  The ignition is also good because it starts and runs when the plug is dry.

Then, I did the harder part of removing and cleaning the carb.  Unfortunately, I had to go to work on the "track bikes" at that point...

It is always possible that it could be the wrencher.  That's why I started this post.  I'll keep ya posted either way.

What do you think it is?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #48 - 10/31/07 at 06:05:13

Greg,
   Here's a thought.....You went riding all day.  Then say "The first thing that I checked was fuel."   But,  you must have filled the tank.  Did you get the gas at a trusted gas station???  Bad gas.....and I don't mean from Baked Beans.....Just some "food" for thought.......

T.Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #49 - 10/31/07 at 09:06:10

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Greg,
   Here's a thought.....You went riding all day.  Then say "The first thing that I checked was fuel."   But,  you must have filled the tank.  Did you get the gas at a trusted gas station???  Bad gas.....and I don't mean from Baked Beans.....Just some "food" for thought.......

T.Mack

That's an idea, but nope.  We filled up before we left and drove 80 miles out of a tank.  Gotta be about 35 miles left in there.  As well, I always drain my gas in a small container (I have a hose on the bowl drain) and could tell if there was any water, etc.

I might still have bad gas though Smiley

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #50 - 10/31/07 at 09:24:17

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
How does opening an exhaust valve allow pressure back to the carburator?  The intake valves would still be closed.....

If the electromagnet gets powered it opens the exhaust valves. These then could be open at the same time that the intake valves are opened. Test; Start Bike and look at electromagnet under right side of tank with small mechanics mirror and see if it acts up. You might have to look at it it for a little while. Make sure mechanism is free to move. This can be tested by taking the tank off and moving the slide by hand which will open exhaust valve. It's under RH side off the tank. Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #51 - 10/31/07 at 15:47:27

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
If the electromagnet gets powered it opens the exhaust valves. These then could be open at the same time that the intake valves are opened. Test; Start Bike and look at electromagnet under right side of tank with small mechanics mirror and see if it acts up. You might have to look at it it for a little while. Make sure mechanism is free to move. This can be tested by taking the tank off and moving the slide by hand which will open exhaust valve. It's under RH side off the tank. Smiley

Yeah, but this problem is not the decomp solenoid or the module.  With the chrome cover off, I just started and ran the engine.  I watched the actuator arm.  After "the big click" the arm moved, then the starter turned, and then the arm went back to the normal position.  The arm stayed  off until I tried to start it again...which of course, was because the engine died AGAIN Sad

Remember the sequence, the engine starts, idles fine and then starts to sputter and die after a couple minutes?  So then I pulled the plug, cleaned it, and started engine again, but this time I set the idle up to 2000 and let it go for a few minutes.  It sounded fine.  I decided to check the air screw adjustment so I turned the idle back down, and it died.  2 times AGAINSad

Yep.  Cleaned and adjusted the carb (floats) and everything seems fine.  No leaking petc0ck, no overflowing bowl, not even a fuel smell, but the engine only runs a few minutes and then dies with a wet plug...

The symptom is a wet plug and I believe the problem is a worn or broken oil ring.  It hard to identify the wetness on the plug, but a fouled plug is usually black anyway.  I think the wetness is oil, and I think that it takes a couple minutes for the oil pressure to build up and since the oil ring is NOT wiping the cylinder wall as it should, it takes a minute for oil to foul the plug.  

Maybe if I was running it harder down the road, the oil would burn off, but at idle it doesn't.

Remember that I didn't add oil for a cold check of the compression?  I don't think I needed to.  Might have been  a false reading if the cylinder was oily.

Remember how I mentioned the sooty baffle?  Bet it wasn't from a really rich mixture.

Remember the wife mentioned that she smelled my exhaust?  I just noticed that my oil was a little low today too.

Anyone that has my CD will see a couple piston ring photos where I checked ring to cylinder and ring end gap.  Mine were on the high side of all the tolerances.  I meant to buy new rings, but being in a hurry I decided to hone the cylinder and see if they'd do okay through winter.  (there were other reasons like saving money, etc,  too.)

It's my guess that seating the rings just one more time, was one time too many.  As Mornhm said, it might be a problem with the wrencher. Tongue

So let this be a lesson in WHAT NOT TO DO.  Buy new rings.  They only cost about $23  Sad

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #52 - 10/31/07 at 16:00:29

How do you explain the chokeknob going in and out? Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #53 - 10/31/07 at 16:21:18

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
How do you explain the chokeknob going in and out? Smiley

I don't really.  It was just thrown in with other observations for the conversation.  Not sure why I felt the suction on the exhaust either.

I know it's not the decomp system.  I just watched it start to stop.

I know it's not valve clearance, I've adjusted them twice.

I know it's not valve timing, the engine runs too well (above idle).

I know it's not the carb, because I cleaned it last spring for photos, and cleaned it again yesterday.

I know it's not the petc0ck, because I ran it without the vacuum hose.

I know it's not ignition because it starts easily cold and runs smooth (above idle).

I do know the rubber seal around the choke knob shaft is a little worn and loose on the shaft.

I do know the plug gets wet quickly.

I do know the engine was low on oil after about 130 miles of total running since reassembly.

I do know the baffle in the Raask was thick with black soot.

And I do know the spouse could smell my "gas" when she was following me Tongue

Maybe too, without a baffle I was merely feeling a back pressure in the dragpipe that I didn't expect.

Please.  Any other idea?

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #54 - 10/31/07 at 17:10:01

I'll have to sleep on that note Undecided

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #55 - 10/31/07 at 17:11:21

A busted oil ring could cause the choke knob to bounce, as the piston goes up and down the crankcase pressure will blow by the broken oil ring.  Just had a thought that maybe the crankcase breather could be stopped up or the tubing pinched off. The increase in crankcase pressure might blow some oil by the rings and cause the wet plug and would mimic a busted oil ring. Sounds like the carb is good, you have been in more than once. When the bike was running did it smoke any, oil smoke I mean, not dumpster smoke?. Maybe pull the exhaust pipe off the head and see if there is any oil in the exhaust port. Speaking of exhausts could it be plugged up with a dead mouse or busted baffle?.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #56 - 10/31/07 at 18:09:35

We had a car at our shop with a similar problem. It ended up being a blown head gasket. Did you replace them all and torque to specs when you had it apart?

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #57 - 10/31/07 at 18:39:09

Long shot here but unscrew your plug cap from the wire and check the resistance.  Could be a resitor opening up in the plug cap.  Spark gets week, misfires, loads, floods...end of story.

Long shot but worth a check.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #58 - 11/01/07 at 08:38:39

drums1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
We had a car at our shop with a similar problem. It ended up being a blown head gasket. Did you replace them all and torque to specs when you had it apart?

New gaskets, copper washers and torqued.  No leaks around head or cylinder.

I have a small leak at the decomp lever.  Need a new seal there, but that's it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #59 - 11/01/07 at 08:49:19

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Long shot here but unscrew your plug cap from the wire and check the resistance.  Could be a resitor opening up in the plug cap.  Spark gets week, misfires, loads, floods...end of story.

Long shot but worth a check.

If the resistor "opens up" does that mean that it can also "close down" after it cools?  It would have to be able to do that since it fires right up again after I clean the plug.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.