Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print
A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues (Read 598 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Very "Interesting" Thing Just Happen
Reply #30 - 10/30/07 at 07:35:27

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
For real, the worst case I've had of running ok goes to crap after it warms up was a sticky slide - in my case cause by a greasy finger prints - formed a little ring at the bottom, after the carb warms up the metal expands and the slide would hang/drag going back down - of course if your sucking a little through the vac line it'll sure go rich.  

Rich is definitely the issue, but I took the vacuum line out of the equation yesterday.  It was dry but I plugged the carb nipple and let the tube just hang there for now.

The wife's little "Oh yeah..." is the key.  One thing that I did yesterday was to remove the baffle and it was very sooty...this after I had switched the main back to a 155 a couple weeks ago..

I do know that I've followed Julie on a couple occasions when she had forgotten to turn off the choke.  You can smell a rich running bike if you are following.

SO, I'm gonna go back in the carb and check the low speed jet, the slide, and the main jet (as some of you mentioned, too)

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #31 - 10/30/07 at 10:40:33

Is your decrompression system working Oke? A short could activate the decomp device and open the exhaust valves which could cause suction in the mufler since it's easier than sucking thru a filter. This can cause a wet plug since the mixture becomes overly rich! For example, During start it works oke ,Than vibration causes short to activate the decomp, which opens exh valves, which make it quit Wink Could be in your starter button or selenoid Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #32 - 10/30/07 at 11:21:46

I've got to vote for vapor lock, too...try leaving the gas cap off for a while it idles?

...although this is sort of like calling up the doctor, and going "Hey!  My tummy's killing me!  What's wrong?"

Smiley

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 10/30/07 at 12:34:02

vtail wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Is your decrompression system working Oke? A short could activate the decomp device and open the exhaust valves which could cause suction in the mufler since it's easier than sucking thru a filter. This can cause a wet plug since the mixture becomes overly rich! For example, During start it works oke ,Than vibration causes short to activate the decomp, which opens exh valves, which make it quit Wink Could be in your starter button or selenoid Wink

Don't really know if that is possible.  I'm pretty sure that when the starter button is not activated that the decomp solenoid is totally dead.  

Reason being that the decomp module is a timer and it energizes the decomp solenoid for short period (milliseconds) ahead of the starter relay.  After the engine is running (signal from ignition unit), the decomp module turns off the solenoid.  The hot or positive would have to come from the decomp module.

Gotta remember too that the engine has been running 2 times.  Perfect start, smooth idle and then fouled plug both times.  The only thing that changed was that I cleaned the plug after the first time.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 10/30/07 at 12:40:06

govmule84 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I've got to vote for vapor lock, too...try leaving the gas cap off for a while it idles?

...although this is sort of like calling up the doctor, and going "Hey!  My tummy's killing me!  What's wrong?"

Smiley

I'll double check it again, but gotta remember that my first check was to drain the carb bowl.  The bowl was full.  A clogged gas cap vent would have given me an empty bowl just like running out of gas.  Then the engine would have run lean and the plug would have been dry, not wet.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #35 - 10/30/07 at 12:51:36

I just cleaned the carb.  Every passage and jet.  Blew it out good too.  The carb was a little dirty but I couldn't find any clogs or "chunks" of stuff.  The choke valve looked a little dirty.  Getting ready to measure the float height which looks a little high.  Then I'll put that puppy back in there....and then maybe, try again this afternoon...

(PS - I say "maybe" because a guy just dropped off 2 snowmobiles that have been sitting for a couple years with gas in them...and now they won't start.  That's 4 more carbs!  Geez, I'm up to my butt in fuel problems all of a sudden Tongue)

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #36 - 10/30/07 at 14:04:30

that slide clean as clean can be?

curious about the sleds - guess we need to take that to the cafe so these moderators don't jump on us

IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #37 - 10/30/07 at 14:42:04

Well, I had a '72 Honda that BUILT pressure in the tank.  Dunno what that was all about.  Drilled a little hole, and it vented fine...it was right after I had cleaned and then....red-koted the tank.  

Temperature change can cause that pressurization...I dunno.  Cheap and easy and quick to check, I guess.

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #38 - 10/30/07 at 15:07:44

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Don't really know if that is possible.  I'm pretty sure that when the starter button is not activated that the decomp solenoid is totally dead.  

Never say Never. Those electric gremlins are Smart. If it can break it will break. The decomp is just an electro magnet. If it gets power even intermittently due to a short, it 'll cause the exh valves to open and could therfore pressurize the carb causing the choke to act up Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #39 - 10/30/07 at 18:36:14

Never say Never. Those electric gremlins are Smart. If it can break it will break. The decomp is just an electro magnet. If it gets power even intermittently due to a short, it 'll cause the exh valves to open and could therfore pressurize the carb causing the choke to act up Wink

How does opening an exhaust valve allow pressure back to the carburator?  The intake valves would still be closed.....

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #40 - 10/30/07 at 20:31:53

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
that slide clean as clean can be?

curious about the sleds - guess we need to take that to the cafe so these moderators don't jump on us

Yep, I cleaned it off good and moved it up and down once it was installed.  Seemed normal.

Unfortunately, after I got the tank installed I had to start working on those "track bikes" "P

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #41 - 10/30/07 at 20:36:04

govmule84 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Well, I had a '72 Honda that BUILT pressure in the tank.  Dunno what that was all about.  Drilled a little hole, and it vented fine...it was right after I had cleaned and then....red-koted the tank.  

Temperature change can cause that pressurization...I dunno.  Cheap and easy and quick to check, I guess.

Well, you know how it is "supposed to not work".

Lower pressure in tank, no gas come out.  Higher pressure in tank, too much gas come out.

The tank vent is okay this time (I just took it completely apart for photos about 2 months ago)  Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #42 - 10/30/07 at 20:46:21

Yeah, but the gremlins have to be in the module then, not the solenoid.  The module turns it on and off.  Do you suppose this is related to Halloween?

The module also turns on the starter relay, and usually if a solid state device fails, it fails open not shorted.

I'm still not discounting valves, but it has shown no weird behavior during starting.  Only after idling a little while...and it repeated the same behavior again.

I did have to lower the float level about 2 mm though.  I haven't adjusted them ever since new Tongue

I got it back together enough to start it again tomorrow.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #43 - 10/30/07 at 20:51:49

smokin_blue wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
How does opening an exhaust valve allow pressure back to the carburator?  The intake valves would still be closed.....

Well, maybe what he's thinking is that as the piston goes up on the exhaust stroke, that the exhaust valves stay open even as the piston goes back down on the intake stroke when the intake valves are open...

Just a guess.

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #44 - 10/31/07 at 02:02:08

Four very good suggestions:
1)...you didnt use enough WD40
2)....you shouldnt have changed your cam chain
3)....you should call a motorcycle handyman. one must live in your area somewhere
4)...God is getting even with you for callin me Stinker and your mean posts
nanananaaaaaaa!!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:28:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.