Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues (Read 598 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Very "Interesting" Thing Just Happen
Reply #120 - 11/15/07 at 21:45:19

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I find that most MC cylinders have a slight taper at the bottom to facilitate getting it all together easily. Ours included.   Maybe they moved when they got past the ring compressor but before they got to the regular cyl wall.

I didn't use a compressor.  I marked (with a sharpie) the piston at each 120 deg point, with an extra mark where I wanted the gap for each ring to be.  Then used thumbs and two pieces of plastic to get each ring into the taper one at a time.  It goes slower and more wear & tear on the old thumbs, but I was sure where the rings went in.  

Also,  my old timer friend said to use WD-40 or CRC to lube it when putting it back together.  The rings will seat faster.  

Oh, I always use gracious quantities of oil.  My oil can is always handy...got a little moly B in it too.  Everything was lubed Grin

Funny though, in the 2 previous jobs, I installed the rings as you mention because the cylinder studs are in the way and are difficult to get around with a compressor.  I'd just ease them in slowly...the cylinder is tapered on the bottom.

This time I tried a "new fangled" type ring compressor (not the old kind) that I bought because I wondered if it was better.  As it turned out...I don't like it.  I don't think it caused this problem, but the ring compressor is difficult to use in between those studs.

This ring compressor may have actually had a problem with the cylinder taper...now that I think about it!

Anyone want to buy a ring compressor?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #121 - 11/15/07 at 22:09:41

Those of you that have known me during the last 3-4 years, are probably thinking, "Here we go again", but...

...here we go again.  You've seen photos like these before Tongue

This is about like my last project in NC, before we moved.

Should I start a new topic?  I don't know.  I just know that I gotta go back through the motor and do some more mods to the frame before spring comes Tongue

Here is my frame again.  It's on my "standard" bike stand 8)

Here's my engine.  It sits on a "Poor Man's Engine Stand" Grin

IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Re: A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continu
Reply #122 - 11/15/07 at 23:38:46

So that`s your final call?

The rings are the culprit?

Do we get a prize for guessing?    

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

B  

ps;  `scuse me for being a brat, I really do know what a PITA [and expense] all the extra wrenching is, good luck getting it all back together. There`s seldom any point in taking short cuts on a rebuild, I`ve  been going thru this on my`25 Indian motor. Someday I`ll tell all about it. It`s taken years. No Scout parts at the Big A.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #123 - 11/16/07 at 05:01:02

Hell, Billy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
So that`s your final call?

The rings are the culprit?

Do we get a prize for guessing?    

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

B  

ps;  `scuse me for being a brat, I really do know what a PITA [and expense] all the extra wrenching is, good luck getting it all back together. There`s seldom any point in taking short cuts on a rebuild, I`ve  been going thru this on my`25 Indian motor. Someday I`ll tell all about it. It`s taken years. No Scout parts at the Big A.

Yep.  I am a little surprised by all this, but I can't find any other logical reason for all the oil in the combustion chamber.  Even the chance that the valve guide seals are leaking doesn't fit this situation.  That only causes small puffs of smoke on startup

I think it is actually a combination of things.  The cylinder was glazed and there was a small gouge in the wall (not sure how it got there).  The honing I did to correct that problem mixed with the used rings is the best I can figure...add 130 miles of riding and the rings went bad.

At any rate, this topic ought to go to the Cafe now...this wrench is gonna do more than just fix the engine now that winter is moving in...and this bike has always been a "work in process" and I want to get her ready for the next FSSNOC ride Tongue

PS - if I ever get this bike the way I'd like it, then a restoration project, like your Indian, sounds like fun.  Maybe someday Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #124 - 11/16/07 at 05:15:23

BTW - My shopping list of parts is gonna include, not only a set of rings, but a bunch of other stuff that I have reused several times...

- Tab lock washer for the clutch
- Circlip for the chain tensioner
- 4 valve stem seals
- Oil seal for the Decomp lever
- O-ring for the cylinder head
- Tab lock washer for the Cam Gear
- Head gasket
- Cylinder gasket
- Piston
- Rings

Plus there are a couple hints of what else I have in mind, in the photo above....
Tongue

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #125 - 11/16/07 at 06:04:05

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Oh, I always use gracious quantities of oil.  My oil can is always handy...got a little moly B in it too.  Everything was lubed Grin

Be careful to not "over lube".  With WD40 / CRC the rings seat in 50 - 100 miles.   The Moly, even though a great lube, may extend that time......too slippery....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #126 - 11/16/07 at 06:47:52

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Be careful to not "over lube".  With WD40 / CRC the rings seat in 50 - 100 miles.   The Moly, even though a great lube, may extend that time......too slippery....

I just mix a little with the oil.  Had to use the stuff for the new cam shaft anyway (cam looks just fine, btw)

The only real problem is that the "slippery" condition got "slipperier" after 100 miles.  It was funny how the engine was doing fine during our longer ride, but after it cooled down over night, it had a problem.  Guess that I can just be thankful that it got me home Tongue

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #127 - 11/16/07 at 17:13:33

Man your rebuild is killing me, I'm a long way wear wize from needing to do a overhaul on my '02 but the motorhead in me is screaming to do a tear down and a performance rebuild. Gotta calm down and have another brew. Going one size over on the piston is standard cause the machine shops charge per oversize cuts. Going two over sizes cost twice as much as cutting the bore for one oversize. You would also loose some mass in the cylinder wall and could run a little hotter with a 2x overbore. That being said, life is short, if it is apart again go for the max for what you can afford and then some. Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #128 - 11/17/07 at 07:17:19

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
Man your rebuild is killing me, I'm a long way wear wize from needing to do a overhaul on my '02 but the motorhead in me is screaming to do a tear down and a performance rebuild. Gotta calm down and have another brew. Going one size over on the piston is standard cause the machine shops charge per oversize cuts. Going two over sizes cost twice as much as cutting the bore for one oversize. You would also loose some mass in the cylinder wall and could run a little hotter with a 2x overbore. That being said, life is short, if it is apart again go for the max for what you can afford and then some. Grin

It's funny.  When I was younger, I rode my bikes until they broke and then fixed them only as much as I needed to get it going again.  I didn't do much in the way of performance stuff because it took more time or money for that kind of thing.  I just rode and cleaned them.

Now, that I'm older, it's more about what "can I do?" and this Savage is the guinea pig Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues
Reply #129 - 01/03/08 at 22:26:51

Back to Dr_Jim...more brainstorming

Didn't you ask me if the valve guide seals could be leaking?

I got around to looking at the head again, and noticed a lot carbon build up on the outlet side of the exhaust valve seats.  In fact, there is carbon build-up on the valve seat itself.

Can leaking valve seals do that in 130 miles?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #130 - 01/04/08 at 10:31:50

On the seat face????

Carbon build up,  two reasons, too much gas or trying to burn oil..... (Yes - No ????) Huh

Brainstroming here:

I thought the face gets "cleaned" everytime the valve closes.  In other words, the seat gets wiped off by the movement of the valve on it at contact.

If the guide seal was leaking, wouldn't the carbon be a tiny bit greasy around the immeidate area?  But then again, I guess the exhaust gas temp would be enough to dry out just about anything.......

Next..... if the seal was leaking, would the carbon get the chance to get to the valve "seat" durning the exhaust stroke?  Wouldn' the gases push/pull it down the pipe?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #131 - 01/04/08 at 11:39:27

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/04/08 at 10:31:50:
On the seat face????

Carbon build up,  two reasons, too much gas or trying to burn oil..... (Yes - No ????) Huh

Brainstroming here:

I thought the face gets "cleaned" everytime the valve closes.  In other words, the seat gets wiped off by the movement of the valve on it at contact.

If the guide seal was leaking, wouldn't the carbon be a tiny bit greasy around the immeidate area?  But then again, I guess the exhaust gas temp would be enough to dry out just about anything.......

Next..... if the seal was leaking, would the carbon get the chance to get to the valve "seat" durning the exhaust stroke?  Wouldn' the gases push/pull it down the pipe?

First off, we can eliminate gas as the source of the carbon.  The carb, petc0ck, tank, and all that is just fine.  As well, I'm actually running leaner than most with a 152.5 main.

Yes, carbon on the seat face.  On the ground sealing surface.

Yes, I thought the seat would be cleaned by the valve operation (though it should be burning clean anyway).

The area "beyond" the valve seat has a generous build-up of carbon in the port...the port that was spotless 130 miles earlier.

I, too, figure that oil leaking through the valve seal would be blown out the exhaust and never enter the cylinder.  In fact, I always thought that leaking valve seals only leaked "a little bit" from gravity after the engine was off anyway...and smoked a bit on startup.

SOooo, it would seem that the oil must entering the flow before the exhaust valves rather than after them.  Right?

Still sound like rings/piston/cylinder?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #132 - 01/04/08 at 13:08:52

Greg wondered how you cleaned after the hone job? My engine books say to wash the cylinder with hot soapy water and dry it and then use clean shop towel(s) wetted with engine oil and swab the cylinder until no grey machining residue is left on the oily towel. Is it has to come out clean before you are done.  Just a thought that maybe there was enough residue left from the honing to finish off the rings. Just an idea. Have you rechecked the end gap since dis-assembly?Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #133 - 01/05/08 at 08:10:30

Max_Morley wrote on 01/04/08 at 13:08:52:
Greg wondered how you cleaned after the hone job? My engine books say to wash the cylinder with hot soapy water and dry it and then use clean shop towel(s) wetted with engine oil and swab the cylinder until no grey machining residue is left on the oily towel. Is it has to come out clean before you are done.  Just a thought that maybe there was enough residue left from the honing to finish off the rings. Just an idea. Have you rechecked the end gap since dis-assembly?Max

Good thought.  Well, ah, er, I can't say that I went to extremes to wipe off the honing residue.  I did take it into the kitchen though (when the spouse was away) Tongue

End gap on one of the rings is over and one is under spec.  The oil ring looks worn but no way to measure it anyway.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #134 - 01/05/08 at 11:37:18

In the shop we always washed them in hot water with dish detergent and carefully scrubbed down the cylinder walls.  You want to make sure you get all the machining/honing residue off.  Then dry it quickly and IMEDIATELY wipe on some engine oil with a clean rag.

Also, if you are ever doing a two stroke make sure you break the edge on the ports after boring or you can kiss your new pistons good by!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:22:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A Very "Interesting" Thing...Continues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.