Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Chain Conversion - Personal Evaluation (Read 156 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Chain Conversion - Personal Evaluation
10/29/07 at 08:35:47

We only rode 80 miles yesterday, but we were sight-seeing, stopping for lunch at local diners, etc too.  Plus, I got us lost on some back roads, but what can I say.  They were nice roads, anyway.

This was my first real test of my chain conversion in "all round" conditions.  Highway speeds, bumper to bumper, mountainous hills and winding curves.

As we know the Savage40 has stock pulleys with a 23/68 ratio of 2.96 to 1.

On mine with a 17/45 set of sprockets my ratio is 2.64 to 1.

I asked my spouse to take the lead during our ride (after I got us lost Tongue), but I asked her to stick to the speed limit so I could watch my speedo.  As it turned out, when she was doing a steady 40 mph, my speedo was reading 35.

Now, for the most part, I like the chain conversion.  It is lighter, and since I use a "chain wax", I'm not bothered with a bunch of spin off.  The chain doesn't make much noise (the best that I can hear) and is easy to adjust.

As well, this particular ratio of 2.64 is really comfortable at an indicated 60.  The bike pulls along nicely without as much vibration.  However, this ratio is a bit too low if you like the way a stock bike pulls from a stop.  Gotta slip the clutch a good bit more at lights, etc.  Also, if you are bumper to bumper then 1st gear is too high and 2nd gear is too low to just pull along at 25.  You are kinda lugging it.

Then in mountainous areas or winding curves (or both), the power is a bit too high up in speed for downshifting, pulling out of curves, and accelerating up a long grade.  The bike just feels kinda underpowered around 40-50.  So the biggest advantage is vibration (and mileage, I suppose) at interstate speeds.

So, essentially what I'd probably would like is a gear set change for 5th, but since that's not likely to happen, I'm gonna buy a new front sprocket and chain for that kinda of riding.  Save this setup for the longer distance high speed trips, too.  Would probably only take 30 minutes to swap them as needed.

Since the stock ratio is close to 3 to 1 (one front tooth = 3 on the rear) and a 15/45 is about the same, I'm gonna split the difference with a 16/45 setup for a 2.81 ratio.

Now, I could also change it in smaller amounts by 1 tooth increments on the rear, but that would be harder to swap before each ride.

For myself and my preferred type of riding the 17/45 is just not quite right.  How have others found their chain conversion to behave or perform?

IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Re: Chain Conversion - Personal Evaluation
Reply #1 - 10/29/07 at 11:12:11

Greg,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the chain conversion as I am in the process of buying the sprockets to do the conversion.  I have also heard similar comments on the 43/17 but have heard by dropping the front to a 16 tooth it gives more of a happy medium between doing less highway RPM's and retaining a nice feel for around town riding.

I'm going to try the 43/16 as a starting point but I would be interested in hearing some other points of view from people who have actually done the conversion.

Thanks,

Glenn

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #2 - 10/29/07 at 13:41:52

I did the conversion with a 17/43 setup two weeks ago and have had a chance to do some near by rides.  Fortunately, "nearby" is both flat and foothills.  I'm a "modest" rider, not a On-Off throttle cranker.  So here's my opinion so far.  I replaced my Sigma bike speedo with a wireless and worthless one from WallyWorld (aka walmart), so speeds are estimates.

I've found the 17/43 is good around town and very good on the freeway.  I can run at an indicated 60-65 (est 70-75) in 5th pretty effortlessly at a very low rpm.  In fact, I found that I had to run in 4th in traffic occasionally.  When I turn up the throttle, I passed everything.  Ran it up to 75 indicated, but I was bucking some wind and my windshield was not adjusted to the right angle.  Otherwise I could have pushed it on up to 80+ indicated.  So it is a great road setup.

Then I took a ride through the foothills with two steep inclines.  Took the modest stuff with no problem, but the steep made it feel pretty underpowered.  The two steep inclines come out of some curves you take in 3rd and I usually can accelerate up them into 4th.  Not so with this setup.  I can accelerate in 3rd, but can't shift to 4th.  It just lugs in 4th.

I was thinking if I could do a setup like a bicycle where you could have multiple sprockets on the front or back and switch between them...

Anyway, planning a few long distance runs up and down California, mainly central valley/central coast,  over the next few months so I'll stay with this setup for a while.  And then in the Spring, maybe try a 16 front to see how it runs in the mountains.

Added:  I do want to add that I left the stock belt guard on.  With the 17/43 setup the chain occasionally "touches" the belt guard when you get on the throttle, making a loud clang.  Nothing serious, but it scared me to death the first time it did it.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/29/07 at 13:45:19

Anyone do a conversion on a 4-speed Savage? Results? I want to do the conversion and am wondering what kind of real-world results I'll get.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #4 - 10/29/07 at 14:01:44

I have a 17/43 setup in the Baltimore/DC area.  I find that on the highway, this setup is great!  In town and in traffic I just downshift and can find a reasonably acceptable gear, but the advantage for me on the highway more than makes up for the inconveniently huge jump from 2nd to 3rd.  Interestingly enough, before I saw this post, I was riding home thinking, "I'm sure this bike could use a 17/39 for highway use."  Granted, I generally drive on interstates at 70-75 mph...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #5 - 10/29/07 at 14:17:46

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I have a 17/43 setup in the Baltimore/DC area.  I find that on the highway, this setup is great!  In town and in traffic I just downshift and can find a reasonably acceptable gear, but the advantage for me on the highway more than makes up for the inconveniently huge jump from 2nd to 3rd.  Interestingly enough, before I saw this post, I was riding home thinking, "I'm sure this bike could use a 17/39 for highway use."  Granted, I generally drive on interstates at 70-75 mph...

IMHO, it would need better aerodynamics to use a 17/39.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/29/07 at 14:59:40

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Greg,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the chain conversion as I am in the process of buying the sprockets to do the conversion.  I have also heard similar comments on the 43/17 but have heard by dropping the front to a 16 tooth it gives more of a happy medium between doing less highway RPM's and retaining a nice feel for around town riding.

I'm going to try the 43/16 as a starting point but I would be interested in hearing some other points of view from people who have actually done the conversion.

Thanks,

Glenn

You do realize that your 43/17 is 2.53, the 43/16 is 2.68 and my 45/17 is 2.64?  The difference of 4/100th is not gonna be much better than what I have now.  The 45/16 will be half way between stock and this.

It is also easier if you start with a larger rear sprocket and go up or down on the front.  Might also give you a better angle for chain clearance over the swingarm.  I chose the larger rear for that reason because (if you think about it) the stock pulley diameters are way bigger than the sprockets.  Larger angle.

Just a thought.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 10/29/07 at 15:03:20

Gary On A Savage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
IMHO, it would need better aerodynamics to use a 17/39.

I 'm not so sure.  I don't know if the runway would be long enough...39/17 = 2.29 might be lugging it too much in 1st gear Smiley

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #8 - 10/29/07 at 15:13:56

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I 'm not so sure.  I don't know if the runway would be long enough...39/17 = 2.29 might be lugging it too much in 1st gear Smiley

Very true.  I was thinking end result once (if) you got it to 5th.  BUT...wouldn't it be cool at the Salt Flats!  Worlds Fastest Savage  Grin

WWW   IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #9 - 10/29/07 at 15:38:08

On mine with a 17/45 set of sprockets my ratio is 2.64 to 1

My bad Greg I thought you were running a 17/43 not 17/45.

So with running a 16/45 what kind of drop in RPM's could we expect over stock at around 70-75 mph ?

And what are you all using for spacers with the front sprocket ?

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 10/29/07 at 16:15:17

Quote:
I chose the larger rear for that reason because (if you think about it) the stock pulley diameters are way bigger than the sprockets.  Larger angle.

I absolutely agree!  You should always use the largest sprockets you can for the gear ratio you want.  You will get less chain wear that way buy limiting the rotation on individual chain plates relative to the pin.  Another sprocket design consideration is to use sprockets with numbers of teeth to ensure there's an even distribution of teeth meshing with individual chain links.  Prime numbers are best, 13,17,19,23...41, 43, 47, etc., that way numbers of links don't become an additional wear factor.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #11 - 10/29/07 at 19:51:08

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
On mine with a 17/45 set of sprockets my ratio is 2.64 to 1

My bad Greg I thought you were running a 17/43 not 17/45.

So with running a 16/45 what kind of drop in RPM's could we expect over stock at around 70-75 mph ?

And what are you all using for spacers with the front sprocket ?

I can answer that for you. Going with a 16/45 will decrease your rpm at 70mph by only 200 rpm from the stock gearing. You can use the center of a sprocket as a spacer like I did in the first conversion, or you can use the appropriate amount of washers as others have since then. I am glad to see so many others are finding the advantages to the chain drive. A lot of people thought I was nuts when I said I would figure out a way to do it. It sure is nice to tailor your machine for the weight you carry and the type of terrain you ride in.  Going with a 45 back sprocket limits you to only 2 options before you are back to a almost stock gearing. Stock is 2.94. With a 17/45 you have a 2.65 ratio, a 16/45 gives you 2.81. When you use a 43 back sprocket you have 3 options before getting close to stock. A 17/43 gives you a 2.53 ratio, a 16/43 gives you a 2.69, and a 15/43 gives you a 2.86. With a 16/43 combo you will shave 375rpm off from the stock rpm at 70mph. That is the reason I went with a 43 back sprocket on the original conversion. Michigan is pretty flat and I don't carry a passenger. My bike is lightened and I only weigh 150.In town at 25mph, I am in 3rd gear with no lugging. 35mph puts me in 3rd. Passing at anything over 40mph requires no downshift from 5th gear. I shave 630 rpms off at 70mph compared to the stock belt ratio. The 17/43 is perfect for my weight and type of roads I ride. Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #12 - 10/30/07 at 12:48:30

Started with the 17/43 (2,53) and are using 16/43 (2,69), changed after a few days riding because I thought it was a to big step betwen 2 and 3 gear. I always run this bike without passenger and my weight is 80 kg (176 lb), have tuned the bike with pipe, KN and carb so that might be the reson that I think this is perfect, dont know howe it work on a stock bike.
Glenn I thought you did the chain converion ???, come on dont wait any longer, you want regret it Grin

Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 10/30/07 at 13:07:45

JK wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Anyone do a conversion on a 4-speed Savage? Results? I want to do the conversion and am wondering what kind of real-world results I'll get.

Your gearing is different from the primary drive all the way through 4th gear.  Your final belt ratio is the same.

The '87, for example, has a 4th ratio of 21/24 or .875 to 1

The 5 speeds have 4th at 22/23 or .956 to 1, and 5th at 23/26 at .884 to 1 (both are kind of overdrive)...

But that is a bit deceiving because your primary is geared lower...

The 4 speeds have a primary ratio of 68/36 or 1.888 to 1.

The 5 speeds have a primary ratio of 67/37 or 1.810 to 1.

In the end, I bet that you'll be safe to start at about 16/45 anyway.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #14 - 10/30/07 at 13:21:03

Although....if this is primarily for a gear ratio change and you only want a 5% change (16/45 is close to 5%) then I'd just opt for a 140/90/15 tire next time and call it a day, but that's just me   Undecided

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:14:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Chain Conversion - Personal Evaluation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.