Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Re: Savage Tank Gas Gauge
Reply #15 - 10/25/07 at 16:14:46

I've seen a few gas tanks set up with two elbows and some clear tubing between which acted like a sight glass. One was just hanging out in the wind while the other was in a half tube welded in the side of the tank. Both were eye catchers and looked fuctional. I would think you could drill and tap two holes in the side of a tank and just JB weld the elbows in. I like PerrydaSavage idea with a tubing running off the petc0ck, maybe a small checkvalve on the open end of the tubing would keep it sealed. Sticking my finger in the tank and shaking the bike works for me.  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #16 - 10/25/07 at 17:16:54

Seems like a lot of trouble when all you have to do is after riding apx 100 mikes look in the tank.  But I'm a bit simple like that.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #17 - 10/25/07 at 19:08:59

i have seen this type set up on oil drums. obviously its not for every one. i don't have reserve on my chop nor do i have any gauges. i personally don't think it would look good on a savage. tank is too wide and with the speedo in the tank it would be too busy looking. looks alot better on a narrow tank like one off of a sporty. kind of overkill if you have reserve anyway.thanks for the compliment denim, i really like your purple bike as well. i can't take credit for it though it was built by a guy in maryland, but it's gonna get some changes soon, as it looks no where near as good as the pics. if i can get some of my other projects outta the way.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #18 - 10/25/07 at 19:16:21

Thanx back at ya.I hear ya on getting projects done.I was going to do the gauge set up on the purple one but I just didn't trust my welding that far.I did do the all the other mods  though.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 10/25/07 at 20:49:41

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I like PerrydaSavage idea with a tubing running off the petc0ck, maybe a small checkvalve on the open end of the tubing would keep it sealed.

I think that you'd only see true level when parked.  As soon as you start it up the level in this tube is going drop.  Although, might be a good way to check the petcork. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #20 - 10/27/07 at 15:10:07

Don't need another tank to weld, epoxy, drill, cut or splice if ya are lookin for a sight glass.
LIke Perry said, but need to vent top to tank.
Just tap into the fuel line close to the petc0ck w/ a tee, buy a used gas cap, and run a small diameter clear gas-proof hose back up to your cap and install fitting in the guineia pig cap to vent back to tank. When the petc0ck is opened the level will match fuel in the tank. Smiley
Up to you how/where to route the hose, Maybe right down the middle & under the seat??
Don't like it?, just run another hose from the petc0ck back to the carb like before.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:26:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Tank Gas Gauge

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.