Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Looking to get a Savage! (Read 10 times)
lexx9
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Looking to get a Savage!
10/28/07 at 09:35:04

Hi, this is my first post. I started riding this year and now I have a 1983 cm450e. I will be getting a new bike this spring and I am looking for some advice. I would like to get a Savage because they are very nice looking and you can do amazing customs with them but I am 6.0ft with a 32" inseam and weight 190 lbs. Am I just too plain big for this bike? Pls lmk your thoughts. lexx9

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Looking to get a Savage!
Reply #1 - 10/28/07 at 10:09:56

Some six-footers have problems, others do not.  As far as I can tell, if you scrap the stock saddle and mount a solo seat a few inches further back you'll be quite happy.

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 10/28/07 at 10:20:26

I'm 6'3" 250 ish.Yeah it might be a little small.I ride mine about an hour each way to,and from Dallas and it's not to bad.But I like being nimble.There are also extened forward controls to go along with what Paladin said.I have two,one with drag bars the other with 14"apes,both are fairly comfortable. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #3 - 10/28/07 at 18:39:57

I'm about 6"2" and 177lbs with a 32" inseam and I haven't found the S-40 to be a bad ride. It is a fun bike to ride and seems to offer a number of positive reasons to buy it.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 10/29/07 at 18:26:42

I'm 5'11" on a good day (5'10" if I've been beaten down at work) w/ 32" inseam.  

I had a CM250C which is almost the same as the CM450E.  I find the LS650 is a little better on the legs as they are out a bit further.  I did have to loosen the LS650 handle bar and tip them forward a little.  The vertical part of the bar on mine is almost straight up & down.  The stock bikes I've seen have a few degrees of back lean.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/29/07 at 19:12:34

6'
31" inseam
240#

leg position, great
the pull back bars won't let you strech out your arms
the drags are good if you got narrow shoulders

WWW   IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 10/30/07 at 05:20:38

5'9"
208 lbs
30" inseam

Found the riding position very natural. Relaxed and comfortable.  Good for rides of up to 2 hours without any difficulty.

I added the engine gurard and a set of off-set highway pegs to mine back in August.  I found that after being in the same position for 2 hours (and not being able to shift my leg position) made my knees ache.   With the highway pegs, I have a choice of where I rest my feet and it allows me to shift my position while riding.  

Other than that, nothing but praise for the bike!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #7 - 10/30/07 at 11:41:33

I'm 5-10 with 31".  I thought I needed a "bigger" bike.  It wasn't the power but the physical size.  Felt a little cramped.  So I tried a few "bigger" bikes and was just as disappointed in the fit.  Or I got them big enough and they were too heavy feeling.

I think that most bikes in the 600-800 range will still feel "small" as delivered.  You will probably want to customize whatever you get to fit your style and comfort (handlebars, seat, forward controls, floorboards, hiway pegs ect).  More importantly  is how does the Savage feel when you ride it.  Does it fit your riding style?  Do you like the looks?  Does it have enough/too much power?  How is the weight?  Does it feel too light or too heavy?

Every bike has it's own unique personality, strengths and weakness.  I can tell you that I've come to really LOVE my savage over the past month.  Do the chain conversion ($100), get the handlebars you want ($25-50), spend some money on a new seat ($50- infinity), and you will NOT be disappointed.  Everyone may tell you you need a "bigger" bike...until you let them try it out your savage...   Wink

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #8 - 10/30/07 at 11:43:41

And did I mention the price?!!!

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 10/30/07 at 16:53:34

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Some six-footers have problems, others do not.  As far as I can tell, if you scrap the stock saddle and mount a solo seat a few inches further back you'll be quite happy.

6'4" 300lbs - Savage fits great

IP Logged
Lon
YaBB Newbies

Short STer

Nashua, NH
Reply #10 - 10/31/07 at 06:46:33

Also, there are several aftermarket forward control mounts for the Savage... if you need even more legroom.

WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #11 - 10/31/07 at 08:44:29

Whoaa!! Shocked Some 'o youze guys is BIG!! I'm only 5'-4 1/2" with a 29" inseam and the LS fits me perfectly ... even had the stock buckhorn bars tipped forward (like T-Mack) and it made a world of diff to overall comfort and handling!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 10/31/07 at 11:47:33

Aye, 5' 8 ½", 30" inseam and 190 lbs here.  The Savage is just fine.  Personally, I don't think I'd want anything over about 900cc in a bike.  For my purposes, it'd be overkill and wasted money.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #13 - 10/31/07 at 14:26:57

5'11 1/2" [cruel world, eh?] , 32" inseam, 175 lbs......the Savage is perfect. Especially now that the seat is broken in. Go for it, this is the most fun bike I`ve had in years! Goes great w/ a few EZ mods, great as in surprizingly quick & agile.

B

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #14 - 10/31/07 at 15:04:11

Not to mention it's a respectable tourer -- as in beatduck's 12,000 mile loop.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:08:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Looking to get a Savage!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.