Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sorry! Need Help........Again! (Read 11 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Sorry! Need Help........Again!
10/27/07 at 21:30:00

My little cone episode kinda freaked me out, and I started worrying about my rear brake. To tell you the truth it kinda felt like it locked up that day, not only that but it always squeaks when I apply the brake.
So seeing as the muffler was off, and therefore probably easier to get to the rear tire, I decided to take it off.

I'm thinking about giving Clymer a piece of my mind though!!
The manual said to be sure not to put rear tire on driven pulley, but put wheel on 2 pieces of wood. I carefully did so, just to have pulley fall off rear tire on my big toe! OUCH!
Lucky though, did not damage pulley, cushioned fall with toe.
Anyway, I need help with the brake shoe issue, they look fat enough, but it looks like they are rusted, and utterly pitted.

And this is the thickness, definitely more then 1.5 mm.

Also the manual says to check the rubber cushions. Do these still look good?

Rightclick and view image to see the photo larger.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Droopy
YaBB Newbies

Orlando, Fl.
Re: Sorry! Need Help........Again!
Reply #1 - 10/27/07 at 21:55:57

looks like a little sandpaper is in order for the brake shoes and the drum just lightly to take the majority of the rust off.  The rest of it looks fine.  If It were me I would clean everything up and grease the the brake pivot shaft.

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #2 - 10/27/07 at 21:56:47

I just did my back breaks a couple weeks ago. I think there's no problem with the pully falling off when the wheel came off. Mine seemd to have a "relaxed fit" in there and came out on it's own as well. It was my first time with the bike and I got a little nervous too as there seems to never be anything easy about doing brakes on a car. I also have a little play in my rubber thangs too. I've got about 20k on my bike (9k by previous owner/s) but everything seems to be pulling just fine on the highway when riding. Unless I hear otherwise from this group I'm not going to worry.

My rear brakes were squeaking at every use on the last 4k+ trip I did to Miami and back. I figured they were well past needing to be redone. Babied them all the way home, bought new ones and took off the back tire. They were the same thickness as the new ones and had the same sort of look as your old ones. I think I may not be adjusting the rears tight enough and not using them hard enough to get any thing other than this slight wear. I went ahead and changed them anyway. I'm thinking I'll take a little sand paper to the old ones when it's time to change again to rough them up a bit and give them a try in a year or two.

Jack

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 10/28/07 at 05:42:55

looks good to me, i wouldn't replace anything. sorry 'bout yer toe  :'(  clymer may assume closed toe safety shoes in a shop environment   ???

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 10/28/07 at 05:52:12

They look good to me,do what Droopy said,and you can take a file and file down the ends of the brake shoe material to more of an angle.also put some disc brake quiet(available at most autoparts stores)where the brake shoes touch mounting points. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/28/07 at 06:27:25

First of all...Congrats on building your "Poor Woman's Bike Stand".  Looks like it's working well for you Grin

Secondly, with the issue of your locked rear brake, you may be looking for a problem that doesn't exist...

Cleaning out all the brake dust is a good thing for maintenance but most likely your rear brake locked up because you applied it too hard and/or at the wrong moment.

As they will explain in a MSF course, your rear brake is only 30-40% of your stopping power.  That is not because your rear brake is underpowered when compared to the front brake.  BUT that is WHY your rear brake is underpowered to begin with...

The rear brake is very easy to lock...it is the nature of all bikes.  Even new ones on the showroom floor will lock the rear brake very easily, and if you clean yours up and make it work even better it will lock even faster.

Just remember that when you suddenly attempt to slow or stop that 60-70% of the bike's weight is applied to the front wheel.  That reduces the contact force of the rear tire on the road and makes the applied braking force lock the tire.

Just remember that not only is a locked tire useless for stopping, but it can also result is some of the worst kinds of spills.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #6 - 10/28/07 at 10:50:27

azjay wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
looks good to me, i wouldn't replace anything. sorry 'bout yer toe  :'(  clymer may assume closed toe safety shoes in a shop environment   ???

Yep I guess I should have thought of wearing shoes!
Truthfully I'm always barefooted or in slippers; it's too hot to wear shoes here. The only time I actually wear shoes/boots, is on the bike.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #7 - 10/28/07 at 10:51:43

Droopy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
looks like a little sandpaper is in order for the brake shoes and the drum just lightly to take the majority of the rust off.  The rest of it looks fine.  If It were me I would clean everything up and grease the the brake pivot shaft.

Will do! Thanks!  Smiley

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 10/28/07 at 10:52:54

Instead of answering each and everyone, I'm just gonna say thanks to all. (being lazy today!)

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #9 - 10/28/07 at 11:05:04

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
First of all...Congrats on building your "Poor Woman's Bike Stand".  Looks like it's working well for you Grin

I love it!
But truthfully, it's not a POOR womans bike stand.
I probably could have purchased an ATV jack for the same price! I didn't have any of the materials, so I had to purchase them.
2' X 4' plywood board 3/4" = $20
2" X 4" Douglas fir 8 feet    = $15
15 sturdy wood screws      = $3.45
1 wood glue (I ran out)      = $4.99
2 heavy duty hooks            = $4.99
2 self locking straps            = $25
Total including tax, about   =$75
Welcome to Hawaii!!

Luckily I already had a jack (recently bought) which was $40 at K-Mart.
If I had been patient I could have waited for Sears to get me that $69 ATV jack, but then I would have had to wait 2-4 weeks.
I also like your stand cause I can put it on it's side and stash it out of the way. That ATV jack is a little bulkier I think!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/28/07 at 15:31:44

I put grooves 4 or 5  across both rear brake shoes, deep enough to keep almost 1/2 of the brake shoe from engaging the drum. It did a LOT to stop the rear from locking up so easily. Now, I can use my brake without dragging the raer tire all over the place. Gotta taper the edges of the grooves, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 10/28/07 at 16:38:49

Your brakes look great, just a light cleaning with some sand paper is all they need. When installing the rear wheel take a few ty-wraps or string and tie the rear brake assembly with the rubber cushion to the wheel. I ran some ty-wraps to the spokes, it keeps everything in place when you are lining everything up for the axle. Looking good so far Grin Oh yeah, don't forget to cut the ty-wraps off when done.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #12 - 10/28/07 at 16:49:14

Great suggestions! What grit sandpaper would be good?
Also my ex suggested that I wear a mask when sanding the shoe down; he said that it probably has asbestos in it.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
: Sorry! Need Help........Again!
Reply #13 - 10/28/07 at 17:26:45

Medium grit,around 180 grit.Yes get a mask.Usually you can get them a Lowes or wherever.Couple bucks for a pack. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #14 - 10/28/07 at 22:54:50

I agree with Greg.   The savage locks the rear break very easily.   I have locked up my rear wheel about 3 times on emergency stops.    You can't just "slam" on the rear break.  You have to learn how much break you can give it on the back...and squeeze the life out of the front break because it will never lock up (at least on mine).

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:23:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sorry! Need Help........Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.