Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sorry! Need Help........Again! (Read 11 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Sorry! Need Help........Again!
Reply #15 - 10/28/07 at 23:23:18

Agree with whomever, but my rear brake is very workable & requires a pretty heavy foot to lock it up. It is the best rear drum I have ever used. If I am in a bit of a bind I NEED a rear brake I can lean on & get feedback from other than"It's not locked yet,, okay now it's locked" & the difference in pressure on the pedal between optimal stopping power from the rear wheel & locked up rear wheel being mere ounces. My ankle isnt that smart. The more needy I am of a really quick stop, the dumber it gets.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 10/29/07 at 05:48:34

I've found rear brakes lock pretty easily on pretty much any bike I've ridden.  In less than optimal traction conditions, it's led to one pretty exciting low-side and several close calls.    Learning to use the right ratio of front to back brakes is just something you get with experience.  It also varies by bike and, as I mentioned, road conditions.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #17 - 10/29/07 at 07:19:54

A remark about the rubber cushions:
I renewed the rubber cushions and could not get the flanges of the pulley in without much effort. Had to apply a little soap to get them in.
After I reinstalled the rearwheel and adjusting the belt there was no sideplay of the pulley and therfore no problem getting the belt in the middle of the pulley at the proper tension.
Read in the German forum the that you can tighten-up the gap in the rubber cushions by gluing a piece of bicycle inner tyre to the outside of the rubber.
Just my 2 bits.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 10/29/07 at 07:48:44

Kropatchek wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
A remark about the rubber cushions:
I renewed the rubber cushions and could not get the flanges of the pulley in without much effort. Had to apply a little soap to get them in.
After I reinstalled the rearwheel and adjusting the belt there was no sideplay of the pulley and therfore no problem getting the belt in the middle of the pulley at the proper tension.
Read in the German forum the that you can tighten-up the gap in the rubber cushions by gluing a piece of bicycle inner tyre to the outside of the rubber.
Just my 2 bits.

Those are some pretty good ideas there...might want to save them in the Tech section.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 10/29/07 at 07:51:37

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I've found rear brakes lock pretty easily on pretty much any bike I've ridden.  In less than optimal traction conditions, it's led to one pretty exciting low-side and several close calls.    Learning to use the right ratio of front to back brakes is just something you get with experience.  It also varies by bike and, as I mentioned, road conditions.

Yeah, that's what I meant.  It can cascade on you too.  The back end breaks loose and slides out, but then you release it and the tire grabs.  Next thing ya know, it's going over in a "high side" and you really can get hurt.

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #20 - 10/29/07 at 10:31:19

Am I going to need a tool to figure out the correct belt tension??
I don't have one.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #21 - 10/29/07 at 10:36:51

If you twist the belt and it went further than 45 degree, then it's too loose. You should have a cooper looking gadget in the original tool pouch. If not the above test as good as it get without tool Wink

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 10/29/07 at 10:43:41

Yup, center of the belt on the lower portion.  90 degree twist with your fingers.  It should require some effort to get close to 90 degrees but not go past 90.  The brass tension tool works but the 90 degree twist is simpler, works well and requires you to carry one less tool.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 10/29/07 at 11:57:03

I have one O those special tools. After using the Twist method I never touch it.
Interesting to note the hazards a locked rear wheel brings, but no oine seems to want to consider the mod to make the brake less sensitive & less likely to lock up, even afetr noting it locks very easily. Okay. I give.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 10/29/07 at 12:55:00

I just use a light foot.

Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #25 - 10/29/07 at 14:50:37

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
I just use a light foot.

I adjusted my brake pedal setting a little lower.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #26 - 10/29/07 at 18:23:58

Actually my rear brake does never worked all that well at all. I had to push it all the way down for it to even work! I also noticed that whoever installed the rear tire before, did not line up the brake lever with the lines on the drum. The little line on the lever was way past the lines on the drum (to the right of it).
It might have had something to do with braking.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 10/29/07 at 19:50:27

Did you try turning that little cam on the brake cable

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #28 - 10/29/07 at 21:23:36

bill67 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Did you try turning that little cam on the brake cable

When I put everything back together I'll follow Clymer's instructions on the how to.
Haven't gotten time yet to sand the shoes down, to much work!!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 10/30/07 at 07:42:39

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
When I put everything back together I'll follow Clymer's instructions on the how to.
Haven't gotten time yet to sand the shoes down, to much work!!

You may find that the "wear indicator" for the brake arm looks incorrect even if you have good shoes.  Don't worry so much about that.

Since you find the brake hard to push down, have you tried adjusting the brake pedal stop screw that is under the brake pedal (by the footpeg)?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:22:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sorry! Need Help........Again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.