Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage bars on a 07 s40? + Other NEWB ?s (Read 15 times)
Deezildennis
Ex Member

Savage bars on a 07 s40? + Other NEWB ?s
10/27/07 at 19:34:09

Im looking at Getting rid of one of my Enduros and getting a dedicated Street bike.  The S40 is at the top of the list along with the Buell Blast.   7 miles of back roads is all I ride to work but I want something that will do hwy speeds and not get blown all to heck like my old xl500r does.

Anyhow.  I Stopped by the dealer tonight and sat on a S40 Nice Bike, Fit me pretty well Im 5'7"  Unfortunately the shop didn't allow test rides for anyone.

The Bike didn't even have a Battery in it.  Major Let down. I'll call around to some other local dealers to at least hear the dang thing run...

The Buell dealer moved 10 bikes to let me ride it LOL!

Anyway.......I Really Like the S40 maybe a little better than the Blast.  They are pretty close to the same performance. Both Upright style bikes which I am looking for.  

So ?'s about the s40.
Im not used to the forward controls of the s40.  Is that gonna be a issue you think?

The Drag bars on the S40 aren't my style. Can I Retro fit a older set of savage bars to the s40?  How is it with the drag style bars realistically at 65 mph?  All over the road or pretty stable?

What Problems other than the Backfiring do I need to worry about?  
Fill me in!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Savage bars on a 07 s40? + Other NEWB ?s
Reply #1 - 10/27/07 at 19:43:20

where you at DD?

WWW   IP Logged
Deezildennis
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/27/07 at 20:27:53

I am In St louis.
I Thought I put that in my Profile.? Guess it didnt take.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 10/28/07 at 06:02:31

many of us started on dirt bikes, the savage is an easy move, you'll get used to the forward controls and then wont want to ride any other way, VERY comfortable! i put a set of harley bars on our savage, because origional suzuki pullbacks sucked very badly, they had our wrists at a wierd twist, not straight like a dirtbike as we're used too. the bike is light weight, and WILL move around some, in the wind, not bad though. mechanically, it is simple, and serves well. it is a nuetral handling bike, with very good manners, you really cant go wrong with one. i dont know enough about a buell to help you make a legitimate comparrison.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 10/28/07 at 06:13:57

I would look around for one with the pullback/buckhorn bars.Then if you want to change them out it would be easier,I have an '86 with drags and there is no extra length in the cables and brake line to put other bars on.I would have to change everything. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Deezildennis
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/28/07 at 08:32:28

I was afraid of that. The news s40's only come with the drag style bars as seen on suzukis web site.

Im Sure I can get used to them.

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #6 - 10/28/07 at 08:40:55

DD

I'm 5'7 and my bike is comfortable enough and the flat bar is just right for  upright position. You will like the control once you get used to it. As for highway (high speed) ride, you probably at least get a Flyscreen to ride comfortably; you get less wind on your chest therefore you don't have to hang on to the handle bar at high speed. Once you do some simple mod. on the carb, filter, and muffler, it truns into a different (Savage)beast.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 10/28/07 at 08:43:24

I have Ridden both the Savage with the OEM "buckhorn" style bars and the S40 with the OEM drag bar/pullback riser combo ... found that the S40's setup gave much better steering control when cornering. As previously stated the Savage's buckhorns put the wrists in an awkward position (and kinda tucked my elbows in too) ... I solved this by rotating the buckhorns forward, which had the effect of raising the grips, thereby straightening my arms some and improved the Bike's comfort and handling considerably!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 10/28/07 at 10:38:36

I tend to like my drag bars better than the apes.Seems like there's more control,but that could also be because I'm not running a fender on the one with apes.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Deezildennis
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/28/07 at 13:40:43

Its a Shame I cant get a dealer to let me ride one.
I Know its not a super exspensive bike but $4500 is alot of money to me.

I Almost expected them to be a little more helpful being as the end of the riding season is coming near.   Sad

From chatting with my local Rider forums it seems that pretty common around here to have the dealers not offer test rides or even want to run the bike.

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #10 - 10/28/07 at 13:56:01

Deezildennis wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

FYI, dealer cost is around 3870.  So there is some room to negotiate............and in October/November they'll want to move the bike.

It's my first bike and it'll e a while before I change.  Great handling, good gas mileage, and kick a#$ acceleration from a stop; even stock w/o and mods.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
willrph
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Wisconsin
Reply #11 - 10/31/07 at 16:50:31

Take my comments with a grain of salt as I am a new rider (only placed 800 miles on my bike).  Orginally I was going to get a Buell as I used it in my MSF class.   Liked the handling but wasn't that keen on it's looks.  Guess I really wanted a cruiser styled bike and wasn't aware of the S40.
 When I went to a local used bike dealer to test ride a Buell that caught my attention it was sold,  Looked around the dealership and saw the S40,
 Needless to say after the test ride I purchased the 2006 S40 and am very pleased with the decision.
 Although riding comfort can only be judged by the individual rider, I believe the S40 is more comfortable then the Buell.   Certainly my butt believes the Boulevard's seat is more comfortable.  
 The S40 had noticably less vibration then the Buell especially at idle and lower speeds.  From my research and newbee experience on the Buell I believe gas mileage and handling are similar.  Braking is more sure on the Buell then the S40 and supposedly you don't have to adjust the valves.
  Find someone who will let you ride the S40, I think you will not be disappointed.  Try a business selling good quality used bikes, they seem more flexible then the dearlerships.  Since I was a newbie I cut a deal with the dealership I purchased from that if I dropped the bike I would buy it.  This convinced them to test ride the bike.  I did not drop it but happily bought it.

White spacer mod, 150 main, K&N Air Filter, Memphis Shades Slim
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #12 - 11/01/07 at 09:18:42

Deezildennis wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:

I Almost expected them to be a little more helpful being as the end of the riding season is coming near.   Sad

From chatting with my local Rider forums it seems that pretty common around here to have the dealers not offer test rides or even want to run the bike.

Are there no other dealers around?  Maybe mention to them you really want a test ride and that you just may have to go somewhere where they will let you.    Wink

Also, if you're looking to try them out, check the paper, craigslist or cycle trader for your area and see if someone is selling a used one.  You can at least get the feel (the bike has not changed from year to year).  You also might find a pretty new one for much less than dealer.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 11/01/07 at 11:35:29

Helpful comment here,  if you want to test ride a bike, it really, really, really  helps if you pull up on one.  The Seller sees that you made it there in one piece so they feel a little more comfortable handing the keys over.  Doesn't matter if it's an Enduro dirt bike or old 70's bike.  It just helps the seller feel more at ease.  So, make a freindof someone  that has a spare bike.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 11/01/07 at 14:23:55

i installed a set of blocks (1" back)on the risers of my o6 and got a drivers back rest, pegs on the engine guard(want to offset them forward @5'9" lil cramped on the hgwy) fun bike to ride and wrench/mod.. am very happy, with 8k on the od, bought new in feb 06....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:24:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage bars on a 07 s40? + Other NEWB ?s

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.