Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Now she won't start...... (Read 7 times)
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Now she won't start......
10/27/07 at 14:04:21

So as I mentioned a few weeks ago, my bike started "ticking".   Folks on here suggested I check my valves.  So I tore into her, and was actually pleased with myself.  It seemed everything was going so well.  The valves were a little out, I adjusted them to spec, thanks vroom1776!  Anyway, now she won't start.  Just the whine of the starter.  She turned over for about 3 seconds, sounded good, but promptly died.  I think I might have just flooded the engine (can you do that on a bike?), but am worried as I have never been that deep into the engine before.   I'm headed out the door to go shoot some dove, but will try  to start her again later this evening.  Could I have messed something up with the valve adj? :' Undecided

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Now she won't start......
Reply #1 - 10/27/07 at 15:29:32

eanon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
...She turned over for about 3 seconds, sounded good, but promptly died. . . .

Clarify:

Three seconds is a long time, as in counting "one one-thousand, two one-thousand, three one-thousand."

"Turned over, sounded good" meaning the engine started and was running smoothly for those three long seconds.  

Died as in drained the last of the fuel out of the carburetor bowl or shook a plug wire off?

WWW   IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #2 - 10/27/07 at 19:07:19

Well, I'm back from the hunt and guess what, she started up after 2 tries.  Guess I just flooded her.  Whoops....  The ticking is still there, though not as bad.  I know I should expect some noise, but I think sometime in the near future I will go ahead and check the cam chain and tensioner.   Thanks again for the site and all the help.  I am a true newbie learning the art of zen motorcycles. Wink

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/27/07 at 19:45:43

year?
Miles?

WWW   IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/27/07 at 20:39:13

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 10:47:47 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 10/28/07 at 06:55:02

eanon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Well, I'm back from the hunt and guess what, she started up after 2 tries.  Guess I just flooded her.  Whoops....  The ticking is still there, though not as bad.  I know I should expect some noise, but I think sometime in the near future I will go ahead and check the cam chain and tensioner.   Thanks again for the site and all the help.  I am a true newbie learning the art of zen motorcycles. Wink

You will always have a little valve ticking sound.  Just the nature of the beast.  How much is TOO much is always the question.  If you are certain that your adjustment was done at TDC on the Compression stroke and adjusted to the right amount you can probably forget about the valve adjustment and look elsewhere for a problem.

Of course, if you get a Raask exhaust, you won't have to worry about ticking sounds Grin

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 10/28/07 at 20:45:04

If it is a valve noise, You wil hear it at all the RPMs. If it is a cam chain noise- it will be slight at idle, it will get lowder up to about 2500 RPMs , and  it will deasapear at high RPMs.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:27:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Now she won't start......

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.