Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where do I put the jack? (Read 15 times)
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Where do I put the jack?
10/26/07 at 11:43:42

Silly question here, where do I put the jack if I want the rear part of the bike to lift up?
While the muffler is off, I thought I' check to see why my rear brakes squeak when I brake. After I loosen the tire bolt I wanted to jack the bike up so I can take the tire off. I have a hydraulic  floor jack, which is low enough to slide under the engine block, but I guess that would only raise the front.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Re: Where do I put the jack?
Reply #1 - 10/26/07 at 11:56:45

Just read the jack post, and wanted to add the same reply/question here for Greg:
Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
All that it took was a good piece of 5/8" board, 2 x 4's, wood screws, 10d nails, and eye-screws.  

Thanks Greg! Great idea! I'm gonna head to the lumber store   right away!
Question though, should I lock the steering wheel when raising the back end?

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 10/26/07 at 13:37:20

SavageWahine wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Just read the jack post, and wanted to add the same reply/question here for Greg:
Thanks Greg! Great idea! I'm gonna head to the lumber store   right away!
Question though, should I lock the steering wheel when raising the back end?

Good question.  No, you'll want the forks to be straight because of the angle of the steering head.  

Don't buy light weight wood either.  Part of the way the stand works is by adding weight to the front wheel.  You want it to be good and sturdy.  Cheap but functional.

The wood that I used, is actually the board from a beat up old ping pong table, that I picked up in front of a house for free. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 10/26/07 at 14:54:41

I've never locked the front wheel, I assumed one could lock it straight. Guess not!
Home Depot her has 1 inch plywood sheets 2' x4', I was gonna get one of those, and then regular 2X4.
Hope Sears (or Walmart, even better) has those straps, I don't own any.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/26/07 at 15:23:04

straps might be at home depot

WWW   IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #5 - 10/26/07 at 19:56:20

You can lock the front brake by tying it off w/ rope.  I screwed some eye hooks into the walls to accept some straps. I put a 4"x4" chunk of 2x4 w/ taped edges between the muffler bracket and the swing arm , use a sissors jack w/ a chunk of 1/2" ply [4x4] to pad the jack from the muf bracket. Works like a charm, cheap ,fast & safe.

B

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 10/27/07 at 05:37:28

Yeah, I used to live in a house that had a full basement with exposed floor joists.  I screwed good heavy eye bolts into those (on the side of the joists) and hung straps there.  Worked like a charm.  You could actually hang the bike off 'em....jack the bike up, tighten straps, remove jack...

The Poor Man stand is for when you can't do that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:20:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where do I put the jack?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.