jmebluis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie looking for
some advice.

Vermont
Advice please.
10/25/07 at 16:31:57

Hi,

I really am a newbie. I completed the VT rider safety class but otherwise have no riding experience. I'm shopping for my first bike. I was initially looking at a Suzuki GZ250, its small (maybe too small?) I should be able to reach the ground (I'm 5'5") and its in my price range. Then as I was calling around to see who has which bikes in stock I discovered a dealer that has a LS650 (the suzukicycles.com site lists that bike as a S40 now right?) in stock, last years model and is asking $4,000 for it. That would be a stretch for my budget but managabe.

So I have two questions. One, would you recommend the bigger bike for a newbie? Two, since $4,000 is only $400 off of the original price how much of that do you think is padding? I'm thinking I would like to try to get the price down some more, what would you shoot for?

Thanks a bunch!

-Jaime

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost......
jmebluis jmebluis   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Advice please.
Reply #1 - 10/25/07 at 16:49:23

Look around your area for a used one. Many used Savage/S40 only have less than 8,000 miles on it and you can bargain for $3,000 or less. Otherwise you should try to get it out-the-door price at $4,000.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #2 - 10/25/07 at 17:13:39

I did some research when I dove into these waters and at 5 ft 2 seat hieght was important.   Price was very important since this was my first bike and didn't know if I'd really like riding; boy was I wrong, can't stand driving a car now.
Anyway, looked at the 250 and found that it can hardly get out of it's own way and lacks acceleration(unless you put it the back of a truck).
You can get great deals on the Savage/S40 because if someone buys it as a beginner's bike and doesn't fall in love with it they move on to a V twin  pretty soon.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 10/25/07 at 17:21:16

07 ls 650  W/ 5 miles on e bay... show it to the dealer see if you can better his price..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #4 - 10/25/07 at 17:34:58

Dealercost on that bike is $3877 so the spread is rather thin. And yes the 250 is kind of anemic and you'd be looking at something bigger shortly. If you can swing it go for the 650. At least you won't be wishing for more power right away. The 650 has no trouble keeping up on the freeway;)

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
jmebluis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie looking for
some advice.

Vermont
Reply #5 - 10/25/07 at 17:39:08

Grin

I see nobody has said don't get the Savage. I appreciate your tips I will see what I can do with them. I should be taking both bikes for a test drive Saturday.

-Jaime

vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #6 - 10/25/07 at 17:43:34

Whoever said that, never rode/owned one. Also check my post just above yours about dealer cost etc Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
jmebluis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie looking for
some advice.

Vermont
Reply #7 - 10/25/07 at 17:53:16

I did see the dealer price, thanks. I was hoping someone might know it. I guess unless they really need to unload the bike the price isn't going to come down much (not that asking would hurt Wink ). It seems like an ok deal though. I would rather buy new and have a warranty since I don't know much about mechanic work. My dad is a mechanic but he lives a bit over 100 miles away, way too far to be of help.

-Jaime

SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #8 - 10/25/07 at 18:28:56

Aloha Jaime,
Just in case you needed a woman's point of view, the Savage  is a great bike to ride on. Handles easy, yet has a lot of pizazz!
I'm 5' 6" so practically the same height as you. I do have long legs which was a little tough at first till I did a seat modification and added 1 1/2 inch. That worked out better. If you don't have long legs, the Savage should fit you perfect!
If you do, a seat mod is really easy.

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
jimbonerz28
YaBB Newbies

Wooo Hoooo!!!

Texas
Reply #9 - 10/25/07 at 19:23:35

I bought mine about 2 months ago, 2006 s40 totally stock with 523 miles, the guy was asking 3k, I offered him 2.5k and we agreed to $2650. I think it was a good deal.

I wasnt looking for a savage just something to build a bobber style bike out of. I am really happy with the bike. I has a lot or character and makes a neat and different bobber.

For a first time rider you cant go wrong with the savage, its light and nimble, easy to manuver, and has plenty of useable power. The engine has good low end which makes it easier to learn clutch/gas with out killing the engine at stoplights and such (like in front of your friends when it makes you feel like an idiot). I ride sportbikes also and learning to ride on a 1k super sport bike is way more difficult.

good luck.

2k6 S40 Bobber
86 Savage Chopper
97 Ducati Monster M900
73 CB125S (future cafe racer)
2k3 Predator Quad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/25/07 at 20:32:32

do your homework jaime.

And while new with warranty is appealing, nothing easier to learn on.

Also, 1st bike, there's a good chance that you're gonna drop it.  Why get a brand new one?  Shop around for a scratch and dent special.  If you drop it, no biggie.  I know if you get that new one you're gonna scurry in from the rain and dry the tires.  good luck and come on back and sit aspell.

WWW   IP Logged
Bikemom28
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/26/07 at 00:41:28

I see that you are in vermont have you tired Craigslist? I know my husband just bought a suzuki on craigslist for $150.00 and the bike purrs like a baby, It only need a charge and carbs cleaned. Working on the bike really shouldn't be that bad this site has tons and tons of information to help you do work on your bike and if you never sure of anything just ask questions and we are hear to help.I had a savage and I am also about your hight and the bike is perfect for us short people. I had to part my out but the ls650 is the only bike that I will personally own, Great little bikes.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 10/26/07 at 05:03:59

Walk in with $3625 cash, tell them you are looking for an entry level bike and KIND OF LIKE the LS650 and have $3625 to spend ... bottom line, tax and everything.
If they start talking this and that just say "I only have $3625 to work with".  If they say they cannot go down then thank them for their time and get up and start walking out.
They will likely call you to come back and sit down.  Keep in mind that this is the end of the typical riding season and they don't want a bike sitting in the showroom...they need that cash to turnover so they can use it on something else that will make a profit for them, and will frequently take a small loss on the bike so they can put the money into something that will sell for a profit during the winter months.

TRY IT, YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO LOOSE.  BESIDES, IT IS A FUN GAME.  GO INTO IT LIKE YOU ARE PLAYING A GAME AND JUST HAVE FUN WITH IT.

GOOD LUCK

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #13 - 10/26/07 at 05:15:01

What Lancer said. If you are ready to purchase the MC for a certain amount, walk in ready to pay that amount and no more. Personally, I'd be specific and say I was willing to pay $X.XX for such and such MC out the door, no additional charges. If they say no, walk. Chances are this time of year they won't say no. End of the month cash in hand also tends to loosen up the deals somewhat. As far as what the dealer might have paid originally, this doesn't matter at this point, because every month that that MC sits in his shop it's costing him money, and possibly the ability to get new MC's next year. View it as a used MC at this point and you'll probably be closer to what he's will to sell for.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #14 - 10/26/07 at 05:42:15

Wait! Stop!  Don't get the 650!  You'll regret it later!

If you've been a lurker here for a while, then you already know that the Savage/S40 can't make it up a hill without you getting off to push.  The tires won't last 100 miles and you'll have to replace the cam chain at least 3 times a month!

Ok, all kidding aside, I have had my Savage for 4 months now and STILL love it!  it's got PLENTY of power for highway travel yet its light enough to be easy to maneuver at slow speeds.  The riding position is upright and relaxed.  The large single cylinder is rugged, robust, powerful and easy to maintain.  I really don't have a vocabulary to adequately describe the bike.  I just LOVE it!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:28:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advice please.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.