T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Advice please.
Reply #15 - 10/26/07 at 07:20:27

I agreed with Lancer but want to add a little.

Dealers will take a slight loss on a bike that is still under warranty so that you come back for Service.    That's where they can make money.

Hmmmmm....maybe that's why they don't push the LS650's,  they're easy to work on, so the owners do some of their own maintenance.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #16 - 10/26/07 at 09:52:52

I agree with the used idea, because the chances are very high of the bike being dropped as a new rider. The guys advice about costs is good too.

In any case, the bike is great for the vertically challenged (I'm 5'4" and it fits perfectly). It is also easy to ride, easy to maintain and easy to get hooked on!
We love our little thumpers!  Smiley

PS - let us know what you decide on, and we LOVE photos here... Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
bennyc
YaBB Newbies

PA
Reply #17 - 10/26/07 at 10:08:24

I was in the same boat as you about 2 months ago.

I bought a 07 S40 as my very first bike right after taking the MSF class.

The dealer here in PA was asking $4100, I got him to $3900 and we both walked away happy- I guess.

First, I have been really happy with the purchase-I think it is a great bike to learn on with plenty of room to "grow". I have no problem keeping up with a couple of buddies who ride an ST800 and a VFR800 (although if we opened them up on the highway I am sure they could blow me away-but we don't ride like that anyway).

Anything smaller (like a 250) might be too small IMO. I rode a 250 in the MSF and this bike feels and handles pretty similar, but has enough power to make it a little  more fun.

As far as new vs. used, if you can afford it and you don't plan to work on the bike yourself, buying new under warranty might give you a little more peace of mind (it does for me)

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 10/26/07 at 17:35:59

Saddle bags and a windshield are nice and will help keep the bike off the asphalt if you drop it, at least they did for my '02. Undecided

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
jmebluis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie looking for
some advice.

Vermont
Reply #19 - 10/26/07 at 18:31:53

Thanks for all the help, it's all great. I'm thinking I'm gonna walk in saying I have $3,500 and if they lower the price great, if not and I can walk out at $4,000 I would be happy too. I discovered today that the bike is actually a 2007 not a 2006, but he still wants to unload it.

-Jaime

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost......
jmebluis jmebluis   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #20 - 10/27/07 at 06:13:23

you'll be sorry (not)  ???  next you'll want riding apparel, then you'll want to adorn the bike, then you'll want to ride more, then you'll call in sick on good weather days, then you'll find friends that ride, then you'll ride more, pretty soon you'll be making excuses to ride, and you'll ride more, the more you ride the more you'll need to ride  Shocked  OOOOHHHHH where does it all end, the insanity of it all  Roll Eyes  enjoy the ride  Grin

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
jmebluis
YaBB Newbies

Newbie looking for
some advice.

Vermont
Reply #21 - 10/27/07 at 12:10:24

OK. I am officially frustrated. I made the 1 1/2 hour drive down to the dealership that had the Savage I was looking at and which had told me I could test drive it. Today when I said I wanted to test drive the new bike I was told I couldn't, the ground was wet and it was sprinkling (like the bike was gonna melt or something!!!!). Instead I could test drive one of two used Savages. I thought no big deal I really just want to see how a 650 feels, my only previous riding had been on a 125 at the Motorcycle Safety Class. So I fill out the demo form and the sales guy I had been dealing with takes it to his manager to OK. Nope, you can't test drive a bike there unless you have 3+ years riding experience. I had told the sales guy I was looking for a first bike!!!!! So no deal.
    I guess I will have to increase my search range to over 100 miles. I have been asking if I can test drive bikes and I realize a lot of places won't let you, but most of them were good enough to say so!

-Jaime Angry

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost......
jmebluis jmebluis   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 10/27/07 at 12:31:36

It's a PITA, but let's face it, as a newbie your are gonna fall down.  Doesn't matter that you took the course.  The courses are very good but they just give you the basic feel of riding and the fundamental skills to get you started without killing yourself.  

With the knowledge gained you are now better prepared to go down the road, but you are still gonna fall down sometime.  Might be in your yard or a parking lot, but those little chrome goodies ain't cheap.

Plus don't forget the auto drivers...and this is probably why the dealer has a 3 year skill level requirement.  I bet their liability insurance has limits on it.

What you are gonna have to do (if you don't have a friend with a Savage) is just buy the bike.  That's what I did with my first full size motorcycle.  Walked in and drove out.

Then if you decide to get another bike, and you ride into the dealership, I bet they'll let you have a test ride then...as long as yours isn't all beat up, that is Tongue

Go get one...

IP Logged
newrider55
YaBB Newbies

New rider and loving
it.

Climax, MI
Reply #23 - 10/27/07 at 12:40:03

My wife and I took the class this fall and had not ridden a bike since our teen years.  In the class we rode Buell 500's which have a nice pickup.  Her uncle had couple of Savages that he was selling and we got  a '97 and love it.  Great starter bike.  The more we rode it the more we wanted another and did last week get an 02. Was listed for sale here.  Needs a little tlc but good bike. Point is, we have not ridden since our teens and except for the Safty class had not ridden before we bought our bike.  Good luck in your search.

Tony

'97 Black LS650
Supertrapp, Mod Carb
'02 Silver LS650 Stock
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:26:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Advice please.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.